O/T...Born2rocku's - DRUMSET (recording studio)

Born2RockU

Thanks, Craig. I'd love to have a White Marine Pearl RK maple snare to match, but they seem to sell for as much as I paid for the whole kit!! Tough enough to justify even what I've got, being a bass player. Nice to have house drums in the studio, though. They sound sooo good miced up. Hard to make a good drum sound bad, as you know!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is one great classic set Ben. I'd love to have something like that in the house. A functional antique. It couldn't get much better. I could shoot myself for sellin' my 1963 Blue Sparkle Rogers set. I still have the Zildjians though.

AndyKubicki :

What do i play, you ask ?

I assume you are asking about my styles of music.

I have an extensive background in education, having studied the classsics.

Mainly admiring the past symphonic days and loving many,

many present-day styles that blend symphonics into their music.

I love to perform keyboard-oriented synthesized, orchestrated jazz/ rock.

Kinda like the Emerson, Lake and Palmer style, ERA.

But I have recorded and performed everything from country to

blues to jazz to rock to present day european-metal styles.

I believe in versatility !

~ thanx for asking ~

----------------

On 1/27/2005 6:48:42 PM boomac wrote:

That is one great classic set Ben. I'd love to have something like that in the house. A functional antique. It couldn't get much better. I could shoot myself for sellin' my 1963 Blue Sparkle Rogers set. I still have the Zildjians though.
----------------

Thanks! I hope to be a functional antique myself one day!! I have a thing for old musical items (besides the hi-fi). My Miceli stand-up bass is c. 1931.

Erik, I feel your pain!

It's been many years since I lived with a drum set, though it was not mine. It was the guy's from whom I rented a room, and it was a lot of fun. I got to practice them occasionally, even though my instrument was the bass. I have tried the Roland V-Drums and love them! I can put headphones on and no one will know how badly I suck at drums! But recently I have rekindled my interest in making music instead of just listening to it. Too bad I hadn't stuck with it...after all these years, I would have been really good! But now, I get to pick up where I left off years ago...still, it is fun to create and record music!

Without rhythm in my daily life I would be worthless.

*** I will be posting more picture of other drumsets of mine, tomorrow. ***

So "chime in" if ya like my other ones I submit tomorrow. !!!

Thanx to everyone for the acceptance on this fun O/T thread !

Boomac

funny you should say Blue Sparkle Rogers set

As I am seting up a 60,s Blue Sparkle Rogers set for recoding in my studio . I love the sound of this set with it small kick and real wood shells ect.

Loooking on ebay for some missing parts seems like they have become collecter pieces.

Born2rock your set up is cool.

I love recoding drums

somtimes I use 10 mics some time just one depens on the sound I am after.

I still use a old vintage Akg d12 alot on the kicks as well as senn 421, RE 20, or a old tube LCD Sounddulex u189.

The best part about recoding is palying back mixs direct of the borad to my Klipschorns before converting to red book cd .

Andy, I'm sure your ears have continued to develop. The rest is just exercise. I've found that I've always taken creative leaps following periods of inactivity, be it a few weeks or several months.

I hope you treat the Kubicki to an all-tube diet!

Nice kits, Craig (looks like a small version of Neil Pert's setup). Reminds me of the setups we have on display in the Lakeland Guitar Center I'm the warehouse manager of. We bought in a used mint '73 black Rogers 5 piece kit from a woman who's ex-boyfriend left it behind when he cheated on her...Instead of her trashing the kit to get back at him, she sold us the pristine kit for $800 and we turned around and sold it the very next day for over $1500(?)! Aside from a little pitting here and there on the chrome high-hat and snare stands, this kit looked new! Wish I could play the drums...I envy you guys!

Don't care too much for the sound of the Yamaha and Roland electronic kits...I know they have their place and are great practice instruments and all, but you just can't beat the tone of a real wood kit IMO, with the ringing qualities of Paiste or Zildjian cymbals! I love it when a real drummer comes into the store to **** on a few Pearl, DW, Yamaha, or Gretsch display kits (who says drums aren't musical?), truely amazing technique and speed. I could listen to them for hours!

Wish our store had an antique kit like the one shown earlier...gotta love those classic pieces!

bclarke,

It's funny, but there is some truth to that. It's been years for me and I have just gotten into a creative writing streak these past several months. I was taking bass lessons from a very good bass player, but money got short recently and i had to stop temporarily. But now I want to take more piano than bass lessons, particularly for writing.

I am have eased into tubes via the Scott 222D. When I have more $$$, I would like to look at the possibility of the fine equipment made by our own forum members someday...12.gif

----------------

On 1/27/2005 10:59:52 PM khorn58 wrote:

Boomac

funny you should say Blue Sparkle Rogers set

As I am seting up a 60,s Blue Sparkle Rogers set for recoding in my studio . I love the sound of this set with it small kick and real wood shells ect.

Loooking on ebay for some missing parts seems like they have become collecter pieces.

----------------

The guy I sold them to repairs and collects. I think he was mainly interested in my snare but he took the base and tom as well. My floor tom was lost when I shipped the kit back from Germany in 1969. If you need some parts, he might be a good guy to talk to. Fantastic drummer with at least 25 years of repair and collecting experience. My Rogers set was purchased in 1963, I think. Great old music store on Chestnut Street in Philly. I still have the 20" Zildjian Sizzle Cymbal and the 15" Zildjian HI-hats.

If you want the guy's number, PM me.

Born;

I forgot for quite sometime myold time favotie doulbe bass drum guy.

In 1980 before the Detroit Red Wings origonal stadium, The Olympia was demolished; I saw Jethro Tull.

I have not heard a concert drum solo except for Carl Palmer that kept my interest for over 5 minutes like Barriemore Barlow of Tull.

Something about those Eurpoean big kit guys from the 70s.

When you anticipated the drum solo 48 hours before the concert.

Early Genisis; Phil Collins (before the POP direction)

Carl Palmer

Bonham

Bruford

Moonie (God rest his troubled soul)

Who else am I forgetting?

I have this King Crimson CD I bought a couple years back.

It was kind of a self marketed one, although I found it in a music store.

It was called Project 2 or something.

I have not listened to it in a year.

Reasonably melodic techno sort of thing.

I remeber it having some very sound percussion.

May have to burn and send to you.