Onkyo with Klipsch?

vgtvidz

What I currently own :

- Yamaha RX-V350

- Klipsch RF-35

- Klipsch RW-8 (which will be changed soon)

The problem :

Whenever I crank the audio too loud, the amp just chockes, I'm pretty sure this 100watts @ 6ohms receiver cant support the klipsch which can take 125watts @8ohms. I've read on this forum that the Pioneer Elite series would be an awesome choice for the Klipsch speakers (since klipsch is very clear and Pioneer would help that), the only problem with pioneer is that its pretty hard to get those over here so I was looking for Onkyo, I can afford the TX-SR602 and maybe the TX-SR702 so I was wondering what you would do and maybe some feedback about Onkyo, also I'd like to be able to use the full power of my speakers so maybe the TX-SR702 would be a better choice, I'm not using the Klipsch speakers for movies (HT), only for stereo music!

Thank you a lot!

Here's some link that might help you!

http://www.onkyousa.com/prod_class.cfm?class=Receiver

http://www.yamaha.ca/av/Receivers/RX_V350S.jsp

Guest Anonymous

well i used to run an onkyo with klipsch and i really liked the sound, the 702 would be a great choice and i would highly recomend it over the 602. I know both of these reciever in and out and can answer probably any question that you have about them. I would also strongly look into the hk avr335 or avr445. those are also great. I personally like the sound of hk or onkyo over pioneer but a lot of it is objective, if you have an specific questions let me know and i ca answer them for you..

For a Pioneer Elite unit (which goes excellent with Klipsch), you could always go to:

www.goodguys.com

www.soundpros.com

or

email Josh Lehman at www.docdvd.com and he can put you in touch with an authorized dealer.

All these places shouldn't have a problem shipping up to Canada.

Well I'm not exactley sure but 100 watts at 6 ohms is equal

to less 80 watts at 8 ohms. Get a more powerfull receiver.

I have always like Yamaha, but if you want to go with another

brand that's your choice. My advice..spend more on your receiver

if your wanting more out of it. (Please don't take any offence) but

but it sounds like you bought a lower end model receiver but is expecting

it to perform like a $1,000(USD)model.

RUN, Do Not Walk, Away from the ONKYO. I've had an Onkyo TX-777 for fours now and it is way too bright for the Reference 3 series speakers! I even added an Audio Control Bijou 8-octave equalizer in an attempt to help the sound. Fortunately the left channel has just started to cut in and out so I have an excuse to replace this dog. I'm looking at the Marantz SR9300 although the Pioneer Elite would be a second choice.

Hey gcoker, I know that I should have spent more on the receiver but I got it before the speakers, the thing that happened is I bought the receiver and subwoofer last year to put with 2 other speakers, it would have been fine with those, but then, I decided to change those speakers and the salesman totaly sold me those RF-35, I couldnt believe how the sounded so I got them, but now the problem is my receiver, lol, so I need a new one!

So I should take a look at HK over Pioneer and forget about Onkyo?

Thing is, I could probably only afford something at the price of the HK AVR235 which is around 899$CDN I believe

I have never been one on one brand over another. But that being

said, I have never been a fan of Sony, JVC, Kenwood. Other then that

I would look at all in the price range and try them out with your type

speakers in the store. Then make sure they have a good return policy and

take the one you like home and try it out. If it doesn't sound as good

as you like take it back and try your second choice, etc,etc. For what

you have described, I would think at least a $700 (USD) receiver is

what you need. How much do you have to spend?

I have an TX-DS797B that I have had for 3 years with Heresy mains and it sounds great. I would look for a used TS-DS989 Ver.2 I am in the process of trying to find one to mainly use with only HT. For 2 channel I use an old Grommes tube amp. See if you can get an in home demo and decide for yourself. Cheers.

I think my Onkyo sounds GREAT with my Klipsch. That being said, if you are looking for a good stereo receiver, whay are you messing around with looking at surround sound receivers? Try to find an excellent stereo receiver (which will built for that very purpose). Take a look at A Cambridge Audio Azur 640 for less than $500 or a vintage twin powered H/K 430 on the used market, or the yet to be released steroe receiver from Outlaw Audio. Better yet, stop on over to the 2 channel forum and ask around there.

the rxv 350 should not does it 100w p channel...

but how loud do you listen to music????

i ve a rxv 440 and only some SF1 and it s too loud for me before it begins to sound bad.

a rxv 350 is more powerfull and the RF are more sensitive,... there is may be something wrong. or your going deaf9.gif

else go for an onkyo, i ve listen to a grand integra with my poor SF1and it make them sound magical!!!

i hope for you it s cheaper where you leave than in europe.

IF you listen to music. I wouldn't get an onkyo. They are slamming for movies though. I would stay away if you listen to alot of cd's. Unless you get an older onkyo just like HK they both are harsher sounding now. But I would still take the HK over the onkyo. Hk is far from warm now. IT's a very neutral sounding amplifier with it's new processers. The HK sound IS NO MORE. They brought back the old HK look and then totally got rid of the HK sound. Still a good amp but they should name it something else.

Not to muddy the waters, but you might consider NAD, Rotel or vintage Nakamichi. I have an older Nakamichi Receiver 2 powering my Heresy's and it sounds awsome.

With all due respect, you should not put too much emphasis on Wattage... consider the way the receiver is built ie. large power transformer large capacitors, etc. These factors usually add up to large current, which is a better indicator whether the receiver will drive your speakers to the audible bliss you are seeking.

my first decent amp was a onkyo 797, going with a complete rf system, now being used by my son, i had similar denon and yamaha setups, as well as a few worse brands sony...... the onkyo when balanced does well with klipsch, a tad bright, but plenty of power, and great usability, i have seen the speakers that the complainers of onkyo have owned and naturally they sound bad. in short, the onkyo is a step up from yammie, but not as good as denon or many other higher end receivers. just stay away from sony, yammie.....

----------------

On 1/27/2005 5:23:50 PM vgtvidz wrote:

Hey gcoker, I know that I should have spent more on the receiver but I got it before the speakers, the thing that happened is I bought the receiver and subwoofer last year to put with 2 other speakers, it would have been fine with those, but then, I decided to change those speakers and the salesman totaly sold me those RF-35, I couldnt believe how the sounded so I got them, but now the problem is my receiver, lol, so I need a new one!

So I should take a look at HK over Pioneer and forget about Onkyo?

Thing is, I could probably only afford something at the price of the HK AVR235 which is around 899$CDN I believe

----------------

I currently have an HK DPR 1001 and it sounds great with my RF-35s and it is only rated at 50W/channel......plus, I never come close to reaching the maximum output.....

Don't necessarily look only at an xx5 series.....for example, look for the 230 instead of 235.....these are all on clearance and differ very little from the xx5 series....