A gong, a cat, a great lunch, and other short stories...

Erik Mandaville

Marie and I had the honor and distinct pleasure of lunch and an afternoon at Craig Born2rockU's and Marjan's (pronounced 'Mar-yon')beautiful home. We were there for some center channel crossover re-working, but mostly just to visit since Marie hadn't been before.

What a wonderful time; a delicious lunch of warm soup and sandwiches (with a million different 'fixins' to choose from -- I found the pesto and mustard isn't the best combo, and have no idea what I was thinking....which I probably wasn't); and music from an enormous and equally large-sounding Klipsch-based system. I saw the great rack Marjan designed in it's beginning stages, but it is just very well done and incredibly sturdy. It's almost a good as my $25, three-shelf cubbyhole from IKEA.2.gif

Well, I have to say, we are not reaching subwooferian depths at our house -- not after hearing some of the stuff that came from Craig's system yesterday. Simply amazing, and yet another reminder of how good correctly done surround sound can be.

Thanks for such a great afternoon, we had a blast!

...oh: the cat and the gong. Craig was giving Marie a tour of the house, which included his home recording studio -- where the drum kit is. Craig whopped that great gong behind the drums, but didn't know one of their two kitty cats was near by. It evidently left the studio as if shot from a cannon, and I think I remember something grey fly past me when I was working on the crossover!

Erik

edit: Forgot to mention that Born2rockU is some kind of GOOD drummer!!! fast as heck (at the right time), tasteful, and absolutely clean!

You'd think the cats would be used to the drum kits by now, eh? After that poor kitty bolted from behind the gong, bet all that was left was a massive hairball in its place!6.gif They're not called "scaredy-cats" for nuthin'!

Glad you all had a fabulous time. Bet Craig's system sounded awesome!

ERIK :

I can't stop chuckling about what you said about the cat situation.

It was definitely a sight to see, when it bolted out from under the drum stage,

when I demo'd the GONG for you lovely wife, Marie.

I guess the phrase "Curiosity Killed The Cat" can describe what occured !

Spookie our cat loves the recording studio...

...maybe because it is sound-proofed and he can get plenty of sleep

when I am not in their recording.

I want to sincerly thank you for all the kind words about you and your wifes

visit yesterday and especially the kind words about my drum playing

on my Big Left Turn (B.L.T.) "Dreamship" cd release.

Years of ambition and dedication went it the

pre-production of this power-trio band cd release.

Power-trio bands have always given me plenty of room

to "stretch-out" w/ my drumming style.

If anyone on the Klipsch Forum would like a free cd, i would gladly send one to ya,

if ya just pay for the shipping.

Just Paypal me $3.50 @ born2rock@pdq.net and I will gladly

send anyone a $10 cd for FREE !!!

My way of sharing with all my Forum friends.

ANYONE interested ?

...here are some links to the review of my equipment and rig,

if ya haven't seen it on this forum.

One link is the GONG Erik was talkin' about earlier,

and one is the new entertainment center and

the other is a review of ERIK's first visit to my "palace" !!

2.gif

http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=60422

http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=59011

http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=58071

I wish I could have been there! Instead, I had to take Klipsch abuse from Dr. Edgar yesterday about how much better his horns are (it was all in good fun, though).

My dream once was that when I get older I would make my own recording studio. Well, I got older. I only have a very crude studio (yeah, the computer and a good soundcard).

Craig, thanks for your offer! I will Paypal you sometime this week!

Andy,

A studio has been the dream of lots of us I think. I have an ADAT and small space, but after being at work all day, the last thing I want to do is try laying down tracks. And it's hard pushing buttons whle you are trying to play!

Friends of mine just released their sixth album. They send them to me free since I've known them forever and played on a couple.

Only for my own amusement. If I had to make a living that way, I would be eating lots of Ramen.

Marvel

Daddy Dee, AndyKubicki :

Thank you for the interest in the Big Left Turn "Dreamship" cd.

I will ship as soon as I recieve the $3.50 (shipping cost) for your free $10 cd via Paypal !

jt1stcav:

Your Paypal was received and your free cd is in the mail.

***** Does any other member want a FREE cd of some of my work ? *****

Just Paypal me $3.50 for the shipping cost !

born2rock@pdq.net

Thanks, Craig...looking forward to hearing you play. I hear too many kids come into the Lakeland Guitar Center and wail away on the drum kits. Half of 'em don't know the first thing about drummin', but every now and then a few gifted drummers waltz into the store and play the drums the way they're meant to be played! Hopefully the kids that just **** will take the drums up seriously...it should be an inspiration for them to take the time to learn once they hear real musicians sit down at the Pearl and DW kits and make music from them!

Daddy Dee :

Got your Paypal...just in time

for the Postmaster to pick up your FREE $10 cd, 5 minutes ago !!!!

~ Rock - On ~

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If anyone on the Klipsch Forum would like a free cd, i would gladly send one to ya,

if ya just pay for the shipping.

Just Paypal me $3.50 @ born2rock@pdq.net and I will gladly

send anyone a $10 cd for FREE !!!

My way of sharing with all my Forum friends.

ANYONE else interested ?

Thanks, Craig...looking forward to hearing you play. I hear too many kids come into the Lakeland Guitar Center and wail away on the drum kits. Half of 'em don't know the first thing about drummin', but every now and then a few gifted drummers waltz into the store and play the drums the way they're meant to be played!
pixel.gif

I know what ya mean.

My music career is solely based on educating those kids that

sound like SH *T , whom you have described above !

Bless their soles for wanting to be "the best", but they must

realize that it takes an incredible amount of dedication to be a balanced drummer.

I hope all you guys hear that on my Big Left Turn "Dreamship" cd

that I am offering to Klipsch Forum members for FREE !

Anybody eles want one ?

(I mailed out 6 of those B.L.T. cd, just today)