Insulating the Dog house of a Khorn

Dylanl

That is odd response since many of the tweaks I have made ( Rope caulk horns, sealing the bass bin, better crossovers etc. ) have all been positive and made the sound much better than stock. Answer this: why do so many other companies agree that insulating a cabinet is a good thing? Are you saying there is no chance of reflection in the Dog House?

Point taken!

I will not argue that PWK's original design cannot be possibly improved upon.

Any improvement on the Klipschorn bassbin's bass response will not however be likely be the result of any tinkering with its physical dimensions.That said adding insulating materials to the bass would change its character.The question is whether a change would be desirable.

I do not suggest that the Khorn could not be improved upon at any cost but if I were to attempt to improve it I might try a different woofer.

I have not open my second set up yet to have a good look inside. I have read where others Dog houses were leaking. Maybe just making sure it is completely sealed air tight. I plan on sealing the slot in the motor board and then filling the Dog house with compressed air. If everything is glued tight it should hold air. I just figured that why I am in there I should dampen the enclosure.

I stuffed the back chamber of a bass horn and hoped for an improvement. There was no change. The measurement was made with an LMS system which is pretty much the industry standard.

It is not only others in the industry which use acoustic material in boxes. PWK used it in the Cornwall. However, he did not in the bass horns. He had said that if some mod to the K-Horn would make it work better, he'd do it. The cost of stuffing is measured in cents, not dollars. Therefor the decision must have been based on science alone.

One scientific reason may be that the back chamber of a K-Horn is relatively small. Most surfaces are very close to the back of the diaphragm in terms of the uppermost wavelenght being reproduced. There is not enough distance to have standing wave effects.

OTOH, in something like a CW, the box dimensions are larger and the bass system is being asked to reproduce notes up another octave as compared to the K-Horn.

Further, other manufacturers of bass horns such as JBL or EV did not use stuffing either, to my knowledge. So lack of stuffing is the rule in bass horn back chambers.

The only exception was SpeakerLab. In their SK, they had people put in a big wad of building insulation. It may have been wishfull thinking more than science.

Best,

Gil

----------------

On 1/31/2005 12:22:45 PM Dylanl wrote:

So, I guess it is up to me then to try.

----------------

Yep, I'd say go for it. It is certainly among the most easily reversible mods/tweaks if you don't like it. Could be interesting to do one Khorn at a time to see if you can hear any difference from the treated and untreated speakers.

There is at least one forum member who has posted on stuffing a LaScala doghouse with noticeable and pleasing results. At this moment, I can't remember who it is.

What sounds good to your ears is the best test of any audio choice, IMO.

Hey, Dad -

Gotta add, PWK also sent them out the door with the K77/EV T-35 on them. That's a 1957-era tweeter with a rather poor frequency response...

Let's call a spade a spade, and remember that PWK was manufacturing these things at a PRICE POINT, not making them sound AS GOOD AS POSSIBLE.

DM2.gif

Daddy D,

Thank you Sir, you are gracious and a pleasure.

I would like to add a couple notes about cabinet insulation, if I may.

The 1970's SpeakerLab "K" Klipschorn knockoff building plans illustrates about 3 inches of fiberglass stapled directly behind the woofer in the back chamber, so I know that this was in fact offered commercially at the time.

The common accepted practice is that triangular-shaped back chambers only require insulation on the bottom. As to whether the Khorn itself, having a pyrimidal back chamber and thus, no real "bottom", it remains a matter of personal choice. As to whether PWK mad a good decision or bad, it remains a matter empirical testing in my opinion.

I have tried it in my own horns although they are DIY designs whose back chambers more closely resemble the LS/BELLE but enclose virtually the same volume as a Khorn back chamber EXCEPT with a flat bottom, and can report on the effects directly.

There is a slight tendancy for the Khorn to be slightly undersized for the throat and expansion rate that can be somewhat "corrected" by the inclusion of SOME insulating material.

The tendency for the upper mid-bass to sound "hollow" or somewhat "nasal" can be elliminated by the inclusion of a small amount of insulation.

I have found that this seems to be caused by soundwaves "bouncing" back through the cone from the back chamber into the horn throat.

It will tend to soften the upper mid-bass to a degree. The idea is to only add enough to prevent the "bad" reflections. Too much insulation will unbalance the cone, allowing uneven excursion, and will sound "boomy" or overly muffled.

DM2.gif