Just a curiosity thing, maybe somebody else is too :)

DaveM

I have a SVS PCi 16-46 model subwoofer purchased new about 6 months old now and I was curious if somebody would I don't know want to give one of these a try, maybe you have a pretty equally nice subwoofer like a RSW-10 or 12 or something like that, that you might want to trade for a SVS.

I don't know I like it but I kinda want to complement the speakers with a klipsch sub.

Just figured I would see what kind of responses I would get on here :D.

Mark

----------------

On 1/31/2005 3:23:41 AM DaveM wrote:

I don't know I like it but I kinda want to complement the speakers with a klipsch sub.

Mark

----------------

Why would you want to do that? Specifically, what do you like about the RW-10 and 12 that you don't about the 16-46? Sonically, I think you'll be extremely dissapointed. Unless I'm missing something about your litening habbits, and the wife doesn't like the tube. Please fill in... 1.gif

Why would you want to do that? Specifically, what do you like about the RW-10 and 12 that you don't about the 16-46? Sonically, I think you'll be extremely dissapointed. Unless I'm missing something about your litening habbits, and the wife doesn't like the tube. Please fill in... 1.gif

----------------

So you'd recommend the SVS then? I think I've talked myself up to the PCi 20-39 instead of the Klipsch RW-10 or RW-12.

----------------

On 1/31/2005 12:29:23 PM streyle wrote:

----------------

So you'd recommend the SVS then? I think I've talked myself up to the PCi 20-39 instead of the Klipsch RW-10 or RW-12.

----------------

Long discussed, frequently controversial. But overall the SVS brand will give more output and deeper extension for cheaper prices than a comperable Klipsch model. They just cut out the middleman. Actually, most SVS models extend deeper than most other subs on the market at any price (exception, of course, exist).

Not trying to tout the SVS as the end-all, just the best for your money.

Shoot an email over to Ron at SVS and he'll point you in the right direction for the right sub.

But if you like the brand name of Klipsch, the appearance of the enclosures, the "sound" of their subs or any other primary fator influencing your decision, then by all means make sure you audition the RW's and RSW's.

But to answer the question: YES. I'd recommend the SVS without a shadow of a doubt.

Just a quick thought. Sometimes you can find demo Klipsch or used at good prices.

It seems a shame to use the Klipsch Speaker Forum to set up deals for SVS. Perhaps that can be done on the SVS Speaker Forum.

Just a suggestion from a Klipsch owner of 30 + years.

dodger

Well I love the sub but in a way yes its the size for where its going in my house, i don't know second i just wanted to try a RSW sub, not a RW :).

Other than those reason this thing does kick butt but man its huge, its funny it dwarfs my SF-2's lol

----------------

On 1/31/2005 5:40:10 PM Fish wrote:

Yep,I had an SVS briefly,great company,great return policy.I also have an rsw15,I kept it.The 16/46 pci is a good budget sub and is no comparison to the rsw12 much less the 15 for music,imo.

----------------

The 16-46 models are designed for something completely different than the RSW series subs. The 16-46's purposely sacrifice output for unparalleled depth. The RSW (especially the 15) will have much greater output, but the 16-46's will have far better extension (usable down to nearly 13 Hz). The RSW's aren't usable much under 20 Hz. It's all in your application.

----------------

On 2/1/2005 6:00:02 PM Professor.Ham.Slap wrote:

Might I also remind everyone that those last few hertz account for probably .001% of the material found in anything...

----------------

That's true, however what most people don't realize is that those are some the most important and influential frequencies in all of home theater. It's like saying the gas tank only accounts for .001% of the number of parts in your car. True, but it's darn important. Especially for those of us who frequent a discussion board dedicated solely to subwoofers. 3.gif And who love to demo material that deals mostly in the subsonic 9.gif We don't spend thousands of $ on our subs so they can do what any off-the-rack sub can do (not comparing Klipsch to those by the way).

But I can tell you that when I run my sub in 25 Hz mode I do lose a great deal of material that I'm used to when I run it in 20 or 16 Hz mode.

As far as liking the RSW-15 over another...it's just all in what sounds good to each person. My opinion is different.

"but a 16-46 is just not going to be that articulate for music usage."

That kinda depends on the music. If it's Jazz or something to that degree, then I don't even turn the 16/46's on.

I know what you are saying and agree, however.

Some music seems to beg for those bottom octaves.

jmho

I totally agree with you, Mike. I've owned my 16-46 for 4 years and I also by-pass the sub with some music, EXCEPT, when it comes to some great Pipe Organ recordings.

I haven't heard a sub that matches the SVS when it comes to this type of music, IMHO.

But in all fairness, I haven't had the pleasure to listen to the RSW series.

JJ