Jazz recommendation from Max? (short)

maxg

I posted this in my diatribe on the weekend but I thought I would post it separately for those that normally steer clear of my longwindedness.

I am no expert - but this sounded so good even I might buy it. Tony has already ordered his and several members of the forum seem to have done likewise:

Allan may care to comment...this is his area, not mine.

RAY BROWN/SOULAR ENERGY 180g 2LP (RED)

Elusive disc have it in stock and have this to say about it:

"The Ray Brown Trio featuring Gene Harris "Soular Energy" is available on Pure Audiophile Records for a short time only. Ray Brown, Gene Harris, and Gerryck King are spectacular in this 1984 recording. Red Holloway (tenor sax) and a rare appearance by the great Emily Remler (guitar) round out the original musicians.

This will be the consummate issue of this famous release. Stan Ricker plays the bass to this day, and is a big fan of Ray Brown. It was a special situation to be able to have him half-speed master this LP for us, on HQ-180 gram colored (Red) virgin vinyl, and pressed at RTI. They are extremely limited and individually numbered, in gatefold jackets. It will be the first of a rare special series of LPs called "Lab Reference Series".

We went to the original session tapes and came up with 3 alternate takes that are fantastic! They were mixed by Phil Edwards (2002) at PER just like the original session. Another track (CC Rider) was added as a bonus and to equal out the 4 sides of this incredible 2-LP set. Don't miss this one! - Production Notes

Musicians: Ray Brown, bass; Gene Harris, piano; Gerryck King, ds; Red Holloway, tenor sax; Emily Remler, guitar.

Selections:

1. Exactly Like You

2. Cry Me a River

3. Teach Me Tonight

4. Take the "A" Train

5. Mistreated But Undefeated Blues

6. That's All

7. Easy Does It

8. Sweet Georgia Brown

Bonus Tracks

9. Mistreated But Undefeated Blues

10. Cry Me A River

11. Take the 'A' Train

12. CC Rider "

• 2 weeks later...

I'm guessing this is a reissue of the Concord Jazz LP from the 1980's? Nice record. You can find original pressings for five bucks or less at almost any record swap meet. Concord pressings are pretty good (for 1980's pressings, that is!).

It would be interesting to compare the audiophile pressing with the original pressing!

Gary--if you want to bring yours out here in March we can compare! I know I have a copy of this one SOMEWHERE!

I love Gene Harris! Did you know he was working in a piano bar in Idaho when he came out of "retirement" in the early 1980's. That must have been ONE HELL OF A PIANO BAR!

Allan,

If the original is 10% as good as this audiophile version I will buy one immediately. Honestly I know sweet FA about Jazz but sonically this album just blew Tony and I away - which is why I recommended it.

I am totally unable to comment on the actual Jazz as music - seemed nice enough to me but I remember saying I like Sonny Rollins "Now's the time" and you going balistic.

From that point on I work on the basis that Jazz recs from me on this forum are worth precisely ZIP.

This rec is simply for the sonics - anyone listened to the double bass on, I think, side one track one. Too real!!

----------------

On 2/11/2005 4:22:55 PM Allan Songer wrote:

Gary--if you want to bring yours out here in March we can compare!

----------------

Hmm...is this something I should know about?

I picked up an interesting CD today. Hank Jones, "Urbanity" (Verve, 1997). It's a combination of two discs: "Urbanity" (Clef MGC 707, 1953) and "Hank Jones' Piano" (Mercury MGC 100). Alternative takes are on there as well. Lots of recorded surface noise, but man, this is some nice stuff. Ray Brown and Johnny Smith play on the 1953 cuts (which are the cleanest). Makes me want to get the originals! His playing reminds me a little of Monk (with a lot of gliss). I think it's worth looking for.

----------------

On 2/11/2005 6:58:29 PM fini wrote:

----------------

Gary--if you want to bring yours out here in March we can compare!

----------------

Hmm...is this something I should know about?

I picked up an interesting CD today. Hank Jones, "Urbanity" (Verve, 1997). It's a combination of two discs: "Urbanity" (Clef MGC 707, 1953) and "Hank Jones' Piano" (Mercury MGC 100). Alternative takes are on there as well. Lots of recorded surface noise, but man, this is some nice stuff. Ray Brown and Johnny Smith play on the 1953 cuts (which are the cleanest). Makes me want to get the originals! His playing reminds me
a little
of Monk (with a lot of gliss). I think it's worth looking for.

----------------

I have the 10" "Urbanity" around here somewhere, but it's pretty thrashed. Not really all that "hi-fi" anyway--those early Norman Granz LPs sound pretty terrible when compared with what some other record companies were putting out.

The trip in March centers around Sonny Rollins at Disney Hall.\

Hank Jones did a week at the Jazz Bakery here in L.A. last Spring. I went two nights and stayed for both sets each night. He's 85 and his chops are INTACT!

----------------

I love Gene Harris! Did you know he was working in a piano bar in Idaho when he came out of "retirement" in the early 1980's. That must have been ONE HELL OF A PIANO BAR!

----------------

I knew that. His wife still does a radio show there on weekends. Larry was in Idaho visiting family over the holidays, heard her show and emailed me a link. I think he posted about it.

----------------

On 2/11/2005 9:09:27 PM garymd wrote:

----------------

----------------

I knew that. His wife still does a radio show there on weekends. Larry was in Idaho visiting family over the holidays, heard her show and emailed me a link. I think he posted about it.

----------------

I sure did -- a very pleasant, interesting program, great music even by my classical-restricted lights. Good to know Harris really WAS that good.

OT -- I think it's really interesting that the little state university-supported public radio station in little ol' Boise can stitch together outstanding programming from a variety of local shows like Mrs. Harris's and great classical programs piped in from around the country, and relay-broadcast it to really small places like Ketchum -- while the famous, supposedly great PBS WETA-FM's board here in D.C. has just decided to discontinue classical music and make it all talk and news!!!! That ridiculous decision leaves only one commercial classical station in D.C. and the excellent Baltimore public radio station playing classical in the DC-Baltimore area. I know, many places don't even have any classical stations, even SF I'm told, so we're still OK here. WETA's board was SOOOOOOOO distressed that it was only 18th in area ratings.

Larry