La Scala Porting Mod Question

KCM

I'm finally ready to proceed with DJK's ported La Scala mod. I'm planning to extend the bottom of the cabinet instead of opening up the top of the dog house. I'm a little uncertain about the required volume to add. I've searched and found references to the fact that the original plan assumes a volume addition of ~2.25 cu. ft., for a total of ~4.8 cu. ft.. What I haven't found is a accounting for the horn displacement on the original mod. Should I plan for something less than 2.25 cu. ft. when extending the bottom of the cabinet ?

I don't think there would be an issue either way. To the rear you might have noise if you placed it too close to the wall. Obviously, in the top part of the cabinet you would port to the rear. It might be more consistent if ported to the front.

One of the posters here had built cabinets from scartch and had his point to the front. He had the bass bin separate from the mid horn cabinet, so he had to add on the space.

Marvel

• 5 years later...

This is a old thread, but I'm considering opening the doghouse inside, seal both mid-horn and tweeter and port to the back with a removable panel, using two 4" ports cut to 7" .

Has anyone done this before? I'm aware of the fact that the midhorn [Dave's fastrack], tweeter and filter take up some space in there, so should I change the length of the two ports?.....

My wife "learned to like" the LS's ,but would really hate to see risers under the cabinet, that's why I'm considering to do it the way descibed above.

ANY HELP / INFO IS MUCH APPRECIATED!

Thanks,

Nico

This is a old thread, but I'm considering opening the doghouse inside, seal both mid-horn and tweeter and port to the back with a removable panel, using two 4" ports cut to 7" .

Has anyone done this before? I'm aware of the fact that the midhorn [Dave's fastrack], tweeter and filter take up some space in there, so should I change the length of the two ports?.....

My wife "learned to like" the LS's ,but would really hate to see risers under the cabinet, that's why I'm considering to do it the way descibed above.

ANY HELP / INFO IS MUCH APPRECIATED!

Thanks,

Nico

Have you seen this mod? http://mysite.verizon.net/res12il11/id94.html I heard it this weekend and am still amazed. I am sure it is similar to the round port mod with a touch more cabinet volume.

Craig

I'm finally ready to proceed with DJK's ported La Scala mod. I'm planning to extend the bottom of the cabinet instead of opening up the top of the dog house. I'm a little uncertain about the required volume to add. I've searched and found references to the fact that the original plan assumes a volume addition of ~2.25 cu. ft., for a total of ~4.8 cu. ft.. What I haven't found is a accounting for the horn displacement on the original mod. Should I plan for something less than 2.25 cu. ft. when extending the bottom of the cabinet ?

Here's the link to my build of the ported bass reflex cab that sits underneath the W Bin.

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/123298.aspx?PageIndex=1

THANKS everyone, the LS's are the only part of my install that has not been replaced in the past 20 years...

Still, I always desired some more extention to the lower frequencies but after trying a few subwoofers without good results I gave up.

It annoyed me having two big 15 inch woofers in my speakers, and just lacking this low- end extention. So I'm considering trying out the porting methode from the start it was mentioned here, but never had the guts to begin.....

So I thank you all for helping out; after looking at the various methodes suggested I'm going to.....make my wife happy. I'll go for the "stealth" option, though I prefer the way like shown on Dave's site.

Since I use Dave's fastracks I agree I'll benefit from the shorter horn compared to the K-400; I'm going to look if it's possible to position the ALK's behind it, and to fit the two ports on either side mounted in a removable backplate which will seal the back.

If there is a need for pics I'll take them along the way and post them as a way to say "thanks"to you all for sharing the mod, plus helping me to decide which one to go for.

Greetings from The Netherlands!

Nico

So I thank you all for helping out; after looking at the various methodes suggested I'm going to.....make my wife happy. I'll go for the "stealth" option, though I prefer the way like shown on Dave's site.

Nico, I love the way my ported Lascala's sound, I am sure will like yours as well.

Any of the port mods should work equally well. I also like the stealth mod from DJK, just make sure and go with the 4X7 port tubes rather than the 4X10. I initially built mine with the 10"/ 35hz tuning and didn't care for it, the trimmed the ports down for a 40hz tuning as was thrilled. Surprisingly the differences were not subtle.

Enjoy your project, Dave

Thanks, so finally it's going to happen. Thanks for showing the position of the filter DizRotus, might bee a good idea if placing it behind the fastrack proves to be impossible.

I'm off to work now, have to get this thing off my mind for a few hours! [can't wait to start..]

Nico