More power

divin11112000

I have been looking to add a bit more power to my current HT setup. I have RF-35's all the way around and will soon have my RSW-15, but currently using a demo of the rsw-12 till the 15 comes in. I have a pioneer vsx-d811s and I am thinking that I will use this as a preamp since it has the preout connections.

My question is what amps should I be looking at? I have found a sunfire amp 200wpc 5channel for a pretty good price. Should I consider Aragon or another brand to go with my setup?

I don't know much about amps and am looking for any suggestions on the way I should go. I have heard that high current is best for woofers, while high voltage is better for tweeters. The sunfire has dual outs for fronts and center so I can bi-amp the front channels with current to the woofer and volts to the tweeter. Is this something I should even worry about?

Guest Anonymous

buy a used or demo piece from a local shop that way you can test it out with your stuff and what not, but you are on the right track to better sound! Aragon would be a good choice, B&K has been popular around here but i do not have much expierence with them. I can definatly highly reccomend using conrad johnson though

You can get the NAD S250 5-channel Ultra THX amp from Saturday Audio right now on sale for $999 marked down from $2500. Any amplifier will make a difference over the internal power provided by that receiver. The build quality on the Aragon's does not look to be too impressive to me. The Sunfire and B&K are good choices. If you want the best look into a Sherbourn they have top notch build quality and are a true 5 or 7 channel mono block design. The Sherbourn 7/2100 weighs in at 115lbs while the Aragon equivalent at a mere 49lbs, so I must ask "Where's the beef!"

I don't get it,rfs and Sunfire and rsw15 all controlled by an 811?I'm not knocking it too much,its a good starter unit but with the rest its the REALLY weak link.Everything you hear will be determined by an inferior pre/pro,I dunno.

----------------

On 2/2/2005 3:42:08 PM Fish wrote:

I don't get it,rfs and Sunfire and rsw15 all controlled by an 811?I'm not knocking it too much,its a good starter unit but with the rest its the REALLY weak link. Everything you hear will be determined by an inferior pre/pro,I dunno.

----------------

I'm inclined to agree to an extent. However, I still think your best order of upgrades should be:

1. Amp

1.01 Pre/Pro

2. Speakers, if any...

It would be better, of course, to get a new pre/pro as well... it's really a coin toss. An Outlaw 950 for $699 is a good option.

I do eventually plan on upgrading the reciever, however I figure the amp would be a more important component to add before getting a new reciever. I guess I'm looking for the power first, then I can worry about what type of preamp to buy while I can still listen do music/HT. If I bought the preamp first it would just sit till I could afford an amp. Thanks for all the input I will put those brands on my to research and demo list.

the sunfire is a great choice....

another multi-channel amp that is getting alot of great reviews (and i have heard personally in the amp designer's house) is the gemstone blue diamond amp

extremely detailed presentation.... with a ton of power......i would highly recommend this amp!!!

http://www.gemstoneaudio.com/amplifiers/blue_diamond.php

if i were going to purchase a multi-channel amp today - i would buy this amp....

1.gif