Need your opinion buying Klipsch speakers

dogbox

Hi,

I'm looking to upgrade my current 5.1 setup with the Klipsch Synergy line.

Synergy B-3 (main)

Synergy C-3 (center)

Synergy S-2 or S-1 or B-1 (surrounds)

(I got a sub already)

Receiver Yamaha 5650

My dillema is I can't decide which surrounds to get. At first, I was leaning towards the S-2's but since the surround speakers will be close to the listener (from 9in up to 3ft away depending on where they sit) I thought maybe I should go down to the S-1's. How will the S-1 fare with the front and center being 2 steps up? Is the Synergy S series even a good choice for back surrounds or should I just go with the B-1?

I'm pretty much set with the Klipsch I just can't decide what combination to get. I've listened to them at the store a few times but I still can't decide since their demo setup is usually less than ideal. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Have you considered an ALL RC7 solution? RC7s are an outstanding speaker. Crisp Clean, lean and mean. I have 5 of them servicing my 4 side surrounds and rear. If I was on a budget and couldn't not afford the RF7s, the RC7s is what I'd go for hands down... Wouldn't even have to think about it.

RC7, it's not just for center duty anymore.

signed

m00n - The RC7 Messiah

*EDIT*

Because I know the RB75's will be brought up to go head to head against my beloved RC7s here's what I have to say... (At least to my ears as well as the sales staff at the store)

Hands down, the RC7 sound that much better. I did a side by side 2 channel comparison between 2 RC7s and 2 RB75s, it wasn't even a contest, the RC7s SMOKED the RB75's.

If you ever get a chance, do a comparison between them, you'll see what I'm talking about. It's very possible that on paper the RB75's are supposed to be a better speaker, I've never checked. All I can tell you, is that when you listen to them side by side.... The RC7s sent the RB75's packn'.

"If you can afford it, go for the Reference line. They sound much better"

BS!!!!! I have owned both the reference series and synergy series. With a Yamaha receiver the reference series are BRIGHT and they don't sound that much better then the synergy series. I hate audio snobs.

----------------

On 2/6/2005 3:09:48 PM ct1615 wrote:

"If you can afford it, go for the Reference line. They sound much better"

BS!!!!! I have owned both the reference series and synergy series. With a Yamaha receiver the reference series are BRIGHT and they don't sound that much better then the synergy series. I hate audio snobs.

----------------

I don't think anyone is trying to be a snob, rather, trying to be helpful. And if you hate audio snobs, perhaps this is not the place for you. There are lots of very intelligent audio folks here whom, I have no doubt that you will misinterpret as being audio snobs.

There are also too many people on this board that jump on a newbie planning on spending $500 on a/v because they feel real HT set-ups start at $5k without even asking what a person's budget is.

1. Can you imagine posting questions about your Honda and having people post "You should have bought an Acura"?

2. His question was about the SYNERGY series not the REFERENCE. He never asked to have them compared.

The Synergy speakers are fine speaker and with the right set up can kick the reference series butt.

9.gif

I really REALLY love my Synergy F-3 speakers. I have the KSW-12 sub and they C-3/S3s powered by a VSX-1014TX-K and the combination sounds great in my 13X23 cathedral ceilinged room.

Klipsch has done some great engineering and leveraged all the experience and learning they've done on the R series and pulled that into the Synergy series.

One suggestion I have, is if you go with the Synergy, or probably any Klipsch, don't skimp on power, even though they are efficient. They love power. I'm glad I got all the power the 1014 provides.

I would tall you to feel good about taking advantage of Klipsch's Synergy line.

----------------

On 2/6/2005 3:43:34 PM ct1615 wrote:

There are also too many people on this board that jump on a newbie planning on spending $500 on a/v because they feel real HT set-ups start at $5k without even asking what a person's budget is.

1. Can you imagine posting questions about your Honda and having people post "You should have bought an Acura"?

2. His question was about the SYNERGY series not the REFERENCE. He never asked to have them compared.

The Synergy speakers are fine speaker and with the right set up can kick the reference series butt.

9.gif

----------------

That's fair, but, there are also lots of people that may not even know there are other heigher end options out there especially for the people that only shop for electronics at Best Buy. Again, I don't think people were trying to be snobby, just informing of other options.

The Reference Series does sound much better, especially if you could afford to move into the rb/rf-35 series or better. But, assuming you can only afford (or only want to spend the money for) the Synergy series, I would recomend trying to sta within the same series. I initially was going to spend less on my surrounds, but after my dealer demoed them with the lower surrounds, I knew that wasn't the way to go. The lower series surrounds couldn't really keep up.

Good luck, I hope you enjoy your purhase either way you go,

Scott

Thanks a lot for the inputs. I really appreciate it.

I still haven't purchased the speakers since I'm now reconsidering all my options. I went in and listened to the F-3's and now I'm convinced I should go with those ......or higher. 2.gif The F-3s sounded great and I'm aware the Refence is not that far up in price. I have to research a bit more on the two.

For sure you guys helped a lot. I will stick with the same line when I make my final decision so I won't have to regret it in the end. Better to have more equipment than to have less right?

Regards.

----------------

On 2/6/2005 3:43:34 PM ct1615 wrote:

9.gif

----------------

Thanks for the laugh there fella.9.gif And yes, you are exactly right. There are lots of audio snobs here, they've gotten into the box race and forgotten about enjoying the music. Sort of a penis envy type of thing... mines biggerin' yours!

If you like the Synergy's then buy and enjoy them. Hang around here too long and you'll spend much more, and chances are have much less based on cost vs performance.

And BTW, I owned a Honda for 11 years. It sat in the garage mostly, driven only 49,000 miles when I sold it. It got me where I wanted to go just as well as an Acura would have (replacement auto now 6 years old-17,000 mi.).

Keith