How important is this?

Sosa

Hello, another newbie question from me :) Picking up my speakers tomorrow and wondering if I will need to buy a new power strip for everything? Is a normal one good or do I need one of those heavy duty ones? Also why would you run coax cables through that then to the receiver or tv etc? I can't see spending 100+ on a power strip unless I absolutely need it.

Thanks!

It's probably much more important to the profit margin of your local dealer, than it is to the sound and video of your home theater.

They are good for some power cable management and a bit of isolation and protection from spikes and noise, but I doubt you'll see or hear a difference at all.

My opinion. I'm not a big believer in high priced interconnect cable either.

Guest Anonymous

ok well first lets cover a few basics about surge protectors

1. The amount of joules - that is the amount of "surge" that a given protector can handle. The higher the number the better, but here is the kicker... The amount of clamping voltage is really the number to look at and that number is often not advertised. That number is much more accurate as to how many joules it can really handle. For all simplicity we will say there are 2 types of "clamps" that can be used, ones that absorb and surpress and those that will allow the power to pass. Basically the cheap ones will let it pass because cheaper clamps cna only surpress power when it is moving "slower" and nicer ones can handle "faster" moving current and will surpress the power more. Also after any surge the clamps in the protector become weakened and therefore the cheap ones won't be able to handle long term surges. (if i have the time i will find some literature to post that can explain this all better than i can)

2. AC regulation - this will keep your power at a "perfect" 120 volts AC at 60 hz, but it will not filter it

3. Power filtration - i'll get back to this

There are 3 important characteristics of good power for audio equipment:

1. Protection from surges

2. Capability to let the entire 15 or 20 amps through

3. Cleaning and filtering of the power

The first 2 are critical, and the 3rd is optional, but better.

Cheap power bars don't do any of the 3. Tripplite isobars are great for the 1 and 2, and do a little bit of the 3 -> they are very good at isolating components from each other.

More expensive stuff, like Furman or (eww) Monster HTS2500 or above do all 3 to various degrees.

If you don't have, or don't want to spend the money for A power Conditioner, buy two Tripp-Lite Isobars.

If you are in an are of the country that has frequent lightning or brown-out, the line conditioner is best.

In either case save your receipt and receipts for any Component purchase.

Good Luck and Welcome.

dodger

i just reread a few of the posts in this thread, and i am surprised that a person can think they can get get good protection for 50 bucks, especially when power conditioning is included, spikes and poor power from your local power company will eat up your equipment, so if a false illusion of budget over quality gets you going than you go boy

I picked up a Panamax MAXX 5100 for about $220 delivered...retail is $345 so I thought this was pretty good...I was wary about spending this kind of money but agreed with the "thousands dollars in equipment and you wanna protect it with something better than a $12 strip...) Just my .02

Bill