Your HT and the Super Bowl

Chris Robinson

Hi folks, the forum was pretty quiet last night so I figured a lot of us were watching the Super Bowl in our HT's.

I am curious how you all enjoyed the show and whether you feel your HT rigs really improve the experience.

For myself, I think the hi-def video feed is a spectacular way to watch a football game ... I could never go back to regular 4:3 OTA. However, I found the 5.1 audio mix to be unbalanced at times, especially in the pre-game musical performances. I couldn't hear Charlie Daniels' band at all. Was that a problem with my gear, or just lame mixing in the Fox truck?

It was a great game. Not perfect by any means, but it was the "war" that I thought it would be. Scrappy playing from the heart. The only thing I couldn't (for the life of me) understand was why Philly didn't go into a hurry-up offense in the last five minutes when they were 10 points down. Being a Pats fan from up here in Boston ... well, I wasn't complaining ... but I was just incredulous.

Mr. McNabb played like he has a whole additional quarter on the clock.

Music Hall MMF-7 Turntable w/ Goldring Eroica H MC

Njoe Tjoeb 4000 CDP with 24 bit/192 KHz Upsampling

Wright Sound WPP-100C Phono Stage

JF Lessard Pantheon 6SN7 SRPP Preamp w/ RCA 5R4GY & Sylvania 6SN7

JF Lessard Horus Parafeed Cobalt 2A3 SET Monoblocks w/ Tung Sol 5687 & AVVT 2A3

1976 KCBR Klipschorns with ALK Crossovers

Gear Online: Two Channel & Home Theater Systems

Ditto on the HD. Nothing quite like watching the game last night in 16:9 with Dolby Digital sound. Though I agree Chris, the sound was way unbalanced. I too had to crank it up to even hear Charlie Daniels or Black Eyed Peas. But the actual game sound was great. I have the only HD TV in my family thus far and needless to say, everyone was over at my place last night. Nothing quite like it, especially for sports.

Oh and it was a great game too ...

The pregame concert audio was horrid and not mic'd correctly, I have two Fox stations to choose from (East & West) and one did sound better than the other.

I have a DBX 5BX-DS 5-band Dynamic Range Controller and a DBX 14/10 Equalizer that I used to improve the dynamics and clarity from the poorly mixed/heavily compressed junk I was getting. The impact restoration makes some of the hits so real sounding it is scary!

The picture was sharp though and I don't have an HD set yet.

I am not a football fan at all. I never watch any of the regular-season games. But, I find it difficult to ignore the one big game each year such as the Superbowl, where the best-of-the-best are pitted against one another. Add to this the fact that the game is presented in Hi-Def and it really becomes a special treat.

I can honestly say that if we didn't have our Hi-Def theater, I probably would not have watched the game at all. But, our theater gives us the oportunity to invite friends and family over to watch the game, eat lots of great food, have a couple of beers and laugh at the commercials. This camaraderie is the only real reason we enjoy getting to gether for the game each year. And, last night was a giant success.

We got so many compliments on our room and especially the Hi-Def picture last night. The game sound was okay, except somebody over at Fox must be a bass-a-holic. Sheesh! The Pre-game music sounded horrid. The halftime McCartney sound was so-so, but I thought McCartney did a fine job...and no wardrobe malfunctions! Imagine that? Interesting video-stage, too. But, we still enjoyed everything regardless of the sound. The Superbowl has definitely become a tradition in our house, because of our theater.

The 5.1 sound was being manipulated continously with the crowd noise routed to the left/right channels and the announcers to the center channel. Some of the commercials would almost cut off the left/right channels and use the center channel exclusively. They were bouncing back and forth between HD and SD when showing the commercials. The very bothersome low frequencies that sounded like about 200 bass speakers were continually a pain in the neck about 50% of the time.(house shakers) The very high stuff was good. The center channel seemed a bit low in volume. I loved the Chimps. The first half-time show I watched in many, many years.

JJK

I had company over to watch in High Def on my sony w/s. The picture was fantastic although there were some glitches with comcast as the signal did some wierd things. The sound was excellent and the sub got a good workout. All-in-all, very successful. I just got HD hooked up a few weeks ago and this was the first time I had company over to watch. They were all VERY impressed. All 3 guys (and wives) who were there have HTs and HD but none could compare to heritage and an RSW-12.

Of course I had to show off the Khorns downstairs which was fun. One friend kept looking for the hidden center speaker. It was hilarious. He was pulling books off the shelves thinking there HAD to be a speaker hidden in there somewhere!

It was a great work-out for my HT. My first entertaining for my system and it worked out great. My guests were fairly unsophisticated as far as HT is concerned, but we all enjoyed the show.

The CD band was poorly mic'd. The game was pretty good but the special effects were a bit over the top and much more noticeable with DD5.1

All in all a great night. (easy to say for a Massachusetts boy!) (smirk!)

JJK sez:

"The 5.1 sound was being manipulated continously with the crowd noise routed to the left/right channels and the announcers to the center channel. Some of the commercials would almost cut off the left/right channels and use the center channel exclusively. They were bouncing back and forth between HD and SD when showing the commercials. The very bothersome low frequencies that sounded like about 200 bass speakers were continually a pain in the neck about 50% of the time.(house shakers) The very high stuff was good. The center channel seemed a bit low in volume. I loved the Chimps. The first half-time show I watched in many, many years."

I noticed this to and thought it was maybe my surround mode that I had selected. It was MADDENING! I have never heard surround being manipulated so poorly in any game setting. The pre game concert was equally horrid, with virtually no instruments and all vocals coming out of the mix. That commercials that cost $2 MIL per minute didn't take full advantage of our sound systems seemed puzzling.

Michael