preamp choices for ST70?

mmmalmberg

Well my price range really isn't worth talking about:) dismal one might say. But I'm trying to muster $450 or so.

More than I've paid for anything else yet; I found a beautiful pair of Hereseys at an estate sale for about $90., plus $25. for new caps and they sound great. The ST70 I stole, decades ago, from my dad's basement and used it 'til the power tranny blew (it had 400 uF added to the p.s.) and so I gutted it and rewired it with new sockets and all - actually parts for that probably came out around $500. if I were to add everything up including the Kimber hookup wire.

And I got my Thorens ttble for $25. at a big rummage sale... so I guess I've got to figure I've gotten away with murder so far and maybe I'll come up with a great deal on a preamp somewhere. But I need to know what the good preamps are to look for, in any case, whether for $100. or $1000., in case I find something underpriced. I.e. I don't want to steal an amp for $400. to find out it's not a good match for the ST70.

OTOH I think the ST70 is somewhat flexible, it sounds not bad running off a pro audio mixer (actually better than my tired PAS3) so I'm open to solid state and/or hybrids.

There's a PAS4 out there if I want it, hard to get a consensus on that preamp and I haven't heard one.

Again I appreciate any and all thoughts or opinions!

thanks

Mark M.

Check out the Mapletree Audio Ultra 4A SE on my for sale page. Tom (Piranha) is the owner from here on the forum. This would mate really well with your ST70 and has a phono section to boot. It's basically brand new with a 100 hours on it he bought a juicy music peach. http://www.nosvalves.com/sale.htm If interested you can contact Tom or me.

Craig

my 7T sounded great with my dynaco MKIV, it still sounds great now with my PP 2A3. There are a few mid-late 70´s (and even early 80´s) preamps that are worth considering from Marantz (esotec too), Luxman, McIntosh, Pioneer (Spec series), Counterpoint...many can be found for less than $500. regards, tony

Mark,

I like your style! I'm in the same boat, but I haven't rebuilt my Mk IVs yet. I was lucky enough to acquire a power transformer from a kind forum member (thanks gain, binkt!), and the rest of the parts are readily available. I need a preamp as well, so I will stay tuned...

Colin, your PAS-3/II might be similar to the PAS-4, do you know anything about these? They're both by Pancor or whatever the company was that bought the Dynaco name.

NOS, yes I've looked at the Mapletree you're selling and am quite curious about it. I sure wish there were a way to hear all these things... And so much equipment is either too old or too new to find good support etc., not that I know anything at all about Mapletree... Just for the sake of getting my search over I'm not far from flipping a coin for the Mapletree vs. a PAS4 that seems like it would might be a good thing as well. Both are a bit over my price point but I'm selling this and that so I might make it.

C&S, I will be upgrading my PAS-3, but I have two ST70's right now and one preamp (the PAS) so I need to add one. One being my good system and one being the "family" system, I can either go for a bigger upgrade to the PAS and find a cheap but respectable pre for the family room, or I can just to a quick once-over-lightly on the PAS for the family setup and find something juicier for the "good" system.

The 7T's I've seen run pretty expensive, and I'm not sure I want something old as I'm just about done having overhauled to ST70's and in the middle of my son's SCA-35 and the PAS still waiting its turn. But if I came across an affordable one in great shape that would be a nice option. Sunnysal, or others, within the names you mentioned, or others, what are particular models I might keep an eye out for? There's so many coming and going on ebay as well as audiogon, unfortunately it's not yard-sale season...

Thanks for all these ideas everyone..

Mark M.

I thought the PAS4 was one of the awful sounding transistor units. I'm not knocking transistors, but that's what I heard anyway.

Anyone looked at the new decware ZSP1 preamp kit? I think they may have just gotten past their introductory price though.

Marvel

I can't help with a preamp to get but I can say, strech your budget as far as it will go then just a bit more. I was looking for a preanmp about 7 months ago, my price point was under $1000 and I had several contenders. Guy Landou saw a preamp that he though highly of (VTL Ultamate) but it was out of my price point. We threw the months food budget at the preamp also and ate beans for the month and I have never regreted doing it! Buy the best you can('t) afford, the result is worth it.

Marvel I believe you may be thinking of the PAT-4, made by Dynaco later on when they moved from tube to solid state. When Dynaco died, a company called something like Pancor bought the name and produced new gear, some of which seems to be highly regarded by those few who have it. The PAS-3 series II was another of their products.

The PAS-4 is a hybrid tube/solid state preamp, and I guess they were sold up 'til 1999.

-Mark M.

I agree that waiting a little to save up enough for a better preamp is worth every minute/$. new preamps from van alstine (avahifi) and mark (juiceymusic) among others are your best bet. start with a list of features you need (mine is; three inputs, tone controls, switchable a and b outputs) and narrow the field down from there. It is worth saving and spending $1,500 on a preamp since IMHO it greatly affects the sound of any system. best of luck, tony

At some point I might upgrade an old Pas 3 as well. Might be a good learning process. I remember that mdeneen learned alot messing wlith them for years.

From what I gather they can be pretty nice when upgraded and I have a couple of places for alternate systems around here.

C&S

----------------

On 2/9/2005 12:19:01 AM mmmalmberg wrote:

Colin, your PAS-3/II might be similar to the PAS-4, do you know anything about these? They're both by Pancor or whatever the company was that bought the Dynaco name.

NOS, yes I've looked at the Mapletree you're selling and am quite curious about it. I sure wish there were a way to hear all these things... And so much equipment is either too old or too new to find good support etc., not that I know anything at all about Mapletree... Just for the sake of getting my search over I'm not far from flipping a coin for the Mapletree vs. a PAS4 that seems like it would might be a good thing as well. Both are a bit over my price point but I'm selling this and that so I might make it.

C&S, I will be upgrading my PAS-3, but I have two ST70's right now and one preamp (the PAS) so I need to add one. One being my good system and one being the "family" system, I can either go for a bigger upgrade to the PAS and find a cheap but respectable pre for the family room, or I can just to a quick once-over-lightly on the PAS for the family setup and find something juicier for the "good" system.

The 7T's I've seen run pretty expensive, and I'm not sure I want something old as I'm just about done having overhauled to ST70's and in the middle of my son's SCA-35 and the PAS still waiting its turn. But if I came across an affordable one in great shape that would be a nice option. Sunnysal, or others, within the names you mentioned, or others, what are particular models I might keep an eye out for? There's so many coming and going on ebay as well as audiogon, unfortunately it's not yard-sale season...

Thanks for all these ideas everyone..

Mark M.

----------------