Klipsch Belle Altec 811a Mod

Mick Bell

Mick, I just gotta ask. What do you think of your new Polk XM Satellite Radio tuner. I have considered getting one of these. Do you have it running through a DAC?

I know this is off topic. But you are the first person I am aware of that has one.

thanks

jc

JC:

No, I*'m not running it through a DAC. Polk makes a big deal out of the DAC in their tuner and in fact it sounds just fine. Not quite CD quality but very close. I'm very pleased. I did have a little Sony which I also used in the car. It was OK but it had a fan which was the noisyest thing for its size I've every heard --- drove me crazy. The Polk is certainly worth the price.

Mick

Yes, Al. It should. And thanks for your help -- drawings, web site, etc. In these pictures the horns are their stock green. However, I later took them out and painted them black. I think things turned out OK. One of the speakers turned out great, the other just OK. Neither of those two cabinets had the exact same measurements! (And they are consecutive serial numbers.)

Mick

Mick,

I found some inconsistencies in the measurements of mine two. My left and right Belles were a set of two. The center one was made 10 years later. I assumed that was the reason. I guess not! I found a difference in the position of the long screws holding the top down. The raisers were not interchangable between speakers. Did you find any difference in the dimensions of the grill frames between the two? Mine were all the same there.

Al K.