loud hum from my speakers thru turntable

joessportster

cant seem to catch a break. just got a dual cs 5000, and hooked it up where my thorens 160 was running fine but the dual is putting out a rather nasty hum, and seems to play fine on one channel but if i hook up the other rca i get a loud hum like some type of interferance, i cross checked the rca's from the dual and the hum follows the white (right) channell, could this be a defective cartridge or more likely a problem with the wireing itself i also cross checked the cartridges were wired the same and they are HELP PLEASE thanks Joe

----------------

On 2/9/2005 6:04:10 PM dodger wrote:

You should be able to access the cord where it attaches to the TT from the bottom

You can try changing the RCAs. That will give you a quick idea.

dodger

----------------

checked this and the rca goes to a small 4 pin din type plug with the wires are stripped and inserted into the plug i would guess soldered i would bet this cord near impossiable to find as this was last manufactured in 1995. i also just to paasify myself switched my stanton 681 over and the sound stayed the same so its not the cartridge, also if you play with the cord it will stop the humming but then all i get out of the right channel is broken signal and static, sound like an rca or a bad channel thanks joe

Try slowly pulling out one of the RCA's from the input of the pre-amp so that the center conducter is contacting but the ground shield is not. If the hum goes away you have a ground loop. Isolate the three prong plug on each unit until the hum goes away. If it doesn't the turntable/cartridge is the problem. Most turntables come with a 2 prong plug plus a separate ground wire.

JJK

thanks to all for your suggestions, turns out it was a 4.00 fix, had to solder new rca jacks on the cable. i will also say the dual cs5000 turntable is a awsome table if you are on a tight budget like me, have seen these sell for between 250.00 and 500 on ebay and worth every penny IMO, setting here listening to marshall tucker band as i type and MAN WHAT A GLORIOUS SOUND. crystal clear, does anyone have any information on an audio technica at14lc cartridge all input appreciated thanks again Joe9.gif9.gif9.gif9.gif

• 2 weeks later...

----------------

On 2/24/2005 1:44:36 PM dodger wrote:

RE: AT Cartridge:

What type of information are you looking for?

dodger

----------------

just trying to get an idea of the quality and specs for this cart, it sounds good and all, but i like to know what i have in case i choose to upgrade in the fiture also a retail on this cart would be nice thanks Joe

10.gif