Denon 3805 & RF-35's??? Watchya think???

saxxman

When you say $3,000 budget, is that for your reciever, or for the reciever + speakers? If you budget lets you get into the $1250-$2000 range for a reciever, I'd look at Arcam, NAD, and Marantz, at least if you listen to music much (they all do good HT work). I've listened to models from those manufacturers and thought they blew Denon away (when I started looking three weeks ago, I was planning on getting the 3805 myself). I've also been told that Rotel recievers sound very good, but I haven't gotten to audition one yet.

Also, IMHO, the list I gave you above is in order from best sounding to still excellent but not quite as good sounding. I also own RF-35s, although everyone has different tastes, so that's no garantee!

Don't get me wrong, the 3805 is an excellent surround reciever, I just didn't think it did music as well as the others I mentioned. But good luck, and I hope you're happy with whatever you choose!

Scott

P.S. Welcome to the board!

Don't get me wrong, the 3805 sounds good, even with music. It depends on where your emphasis is. And bchild is right that if/when you get the upgrade bug, you could get amps (maybe just stereo amps for the rf-35s) and use the Denon as a pre/pro. I'm sure that would sound excellent. Don't let me scare you away if your heart is set on the Denon, there are a lot of happy Denon/Klipsch owners on this forum.

Scott

I could have purchased either the 3805, or the 2805. I didn't think there was much difference and ended up getting the 2805 relying on the assistance of my local sales people. (set-up mic of 2805 - didn't care about the remote on the 3805. Didn't need the Denon link). I really like it a lot. Most of my listening is HT, and a little SACD. I think anyone would be very happy with the 3805. Perhaps you could do better, but for the budget you would have a good system with the Denon.

I own a 3802,had an 03 and 3805.The Denons are good all purpose loaded and very reliable avrs,they don't do music all that well,not bad but not well.I would look at Rotel,NAD,and the like if seperates are an option.I can tell you for sure that the Rotel is considerably better for music than the mass mrkt avrs.I've owned many of the newer $1K ballpark models and for HT most of them were fine,for music most fell short.I should add my 3802/03/05 all were run through a very capable amp,the amps were a big improvement in power but had little or no effect on the musical aspect of the pre/pro.All that said you would still have a good set up,just missing a little on 2ch music.

I am currently using the Denon 4802 as a preamp...and frankly, feel it does a great job! I must not have "golden ears" because I have a hard time hearing a difference between the Denon (used as a preamp) and the Outlaw 950. I sent the Outlaw back because of this. I guess my ignorance is bliss????

I think gcoker is right. Receiver technology changes much more quickly then speakers do. Today DD & DTS are in, tomorrow it will be something else. A good pair of speakers can last 20 plus years. Heck, khorns are 50 plus years old and are still regarded as one of the best sounding speakers ever made. I would recommend that you at least demo the RF-7's. The RF-35's are good but just can't compete with the 7's.

Another vote for receivers' technology changeing too rapidly. Blu-Ray and HD-DVD are on the way this year and may make many processors/receivers obsolete. Spend your money on speakers that will last for ten or twenty years.

The Denon receivers have a good reputation with the exception of their manuals. Setup has been simplified with the newer models' auto-setup. The downside of auto-setup machines is that it takes a great deal of study of the manual to get the most out of the receiver.

Outboard amplification also lasts a very long time. The outboard amplification helps receivers that are challenged for power.