New Receiver?

Smokem

----------------

On 2/16/2005 2:49:07 PM Smokem wrote:

I am looking for a new receiver. My price is $500. Any reccomendations? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

----------------

two choices that are very good in this price range....(both under $500 out the door)

1. pioneer 1014tx.... very good sound with excellent features including the MCACC auto setup/room correction feature

2. panasonic XR series of receivers (XR-50, XR-25, XR-70)... six digital amps inside the receiver - very good reviews!

you really can't go wrong with either one...

1.gif

Save your money a little longer for a better one, you will be replacing it within a year or two after purchasing it anyway. You could buy a better used one as your money will go farther that way. Lets face it your not going to get much of a receiver for $500.

----------------

On 2/16/2005 4:15:17 PM iwillwalk wrote:

with 150 more you can get an outlaw 1050.cant beat that with a rented mule

----------------

the outlaw 1050 has been discontinued....

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/1050.html

and i would hesitate to recommend a receiver that's design is 3 years old... receiver technology moves at a much faster pace than other types of electronics - such as amplifiers....

I just bought a Marantz SR4500 for $400.00. I am happy with it for now, it is just a interum receiver until our addition is completed then I will go with sereates. It it only a 80x7 receiver so it would not work well in a large room. For the money I think it was a good buy.

I'm happy and thats all that counts, Right..... haha9.gif

Steve

I am quite pleased with my Denon AVR-2105...they sell for $649 new at list..but I went to www.dakmart.com and got a refurb for $460 to my doorstep. They have a one-year warranty and are an authorized Denon B-stock dealer. IMO the refurbs are not a bad way to go. If you think about it, they are gone over top to bottom when they come back in, so they are good as new to me. The outside of the carton had a "B" stamped on it along with a warning that since it was a refurb there may be small scratches or cosmetic imperfections that in no way hinder performance. But...mine was mint. I have plenty of other places to spend the nearly $200 saved. Like the DVD-1910 I did buy new from a local dealer. They were about the same price on the web, and I did feel better trying to stay local, even though the dealer is not the same local dealer who carries Klipsch. The Pioneer was my second choice actually, but I did prefer the Denon sound a bit. BB has the Pioneers on sale for $399 this week too...

I agree with steve, everybody has their own opinions and experiences, but everybody has different hearing, thats why a lot of people here on the forum recommend people to go out and listen to what they are going to purchase with their own 2 ears or bring the equipment home to do a comparison.

Good point. Listening is the number 1 best way to buy, especially if you can do it at home.

If not, at least in a controlled environment with the same speakers, but even then, there are so many other variables. Especially the room and all of the accoustics determined by the room.

I personally am of the opinion that POWER is the biggest factor.. having lots of it. My "personal" opinion is that all this talk of "too bright", "Warm" etc etc ,, is so much poppy-cock. These days a state of the art Yammi, Pioneer, Deneon, Marantz etc etc has a frequency response that is quite flat across the audio spectrum with snr ratio and other specs that are also so good and so competitive with each other, that is really very difficult to tell them apart. (I know I'll get some feed back on this. LOL! Like I said, just me opinion and some of what I learned in electrical engineering way way long time ago, when analog was important.)

I'm not to saying you can't hear the difference between a $400 Pioneer and a much higher-end "Audiophile" piece of gear.. I think you can... but it is a matter of how much difference for how much cost. If you got the bucks, spend it! I'd have a stack of Goergeous high end equipment of I could afford it. But, I have other hobbies that eat my mad money too.

GOD BLESS YOU STEVE. I always wondered why my $900 second-from-top-of -line Yamaha wasn't good enough for Klipsch 40-year-old speakers. They've always sounded fine to me, this is my third Yammie.

I do agree with the theory that receivers stated power, no matter what the lab says, is usually grossly overstated. For instance, how on earth could my RXV2400 really put out 7x 130 watts? THat would be 910 watts and there's a lot of other stuff going on inside that box and not nearly enough heat sink for a 900 watt unit.

But I'm happy with it. Aside from switching to tubes, I cant see how there could be appreciable sound 'quality' differences between the top units of all the major brands- Denon, Yamaha, Pioneer ELite, HK, etc. Just my .02- others will disagree but I've got to hang onto this belief so I don't think I've blown my hard-earned money on 'junk'. Sorry I got caught up in FOrum-itis. It's debilitating!

Michael

Different receivers do have different sonic characteristics. Some people like the Denon sound, while others think it sounds fat. Some people like the Yamaha sound, while others think it sounds bright. If you bought it and you like it, who's to argue? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, to each his own, whatever floats your boat/turns your crank/blows your dress up, de gustibus non disputandum est, etc.

----------------

<cut for brevity>

I do agree with the theory that receivers stated power, no matter what the lab says, is usually grossly overstated. For instance, how on earth could my RXV2400 really put out 7x 130 watts? THat would be 910 watts and there's a lot of other stuff going on inside that box and not nearly enough heat sink for a 900 watt unit.

<cut some more>

Michael

----------------

Well, one of the issues, that is difficult if not impossible to simulate and measure, is continuous power for a long period of time for a wide range of speaker impedance loads. The speaker impedance loads are not purely resistive, but are made up of a complex mix of inductive and capacitive reactance that places a load on the amplifier, or receiver that is extremely difficult to simulate (very different for every speaker.) What do the manufacturers do? They measure frequency repsonse on a big fat 8 ohm resistor that has a pure resistance with no inductive or capacitive reactance and therefore no shift in phase of the current and voltage. There is no such thing as a speaker that presents a purely resistive load. This is a much easier way for a receiver or amplifier to produce a flat frequency response. Secondly, they do it for a period of say.. 20 seconds.. and call it "continuous" output power. ..and even then, they probably do it only at one of the easy center frequencies, not across all frequencies. when they are measuring "total continuous output power".. So, lots of little tricks to help them be successful.

That's why you will see some manufacturers rate their systems much more conservatively than others.. perhaps they are being a bit more honest in their testing techniques.

Still, your basic "mid-fi" $500 - $1000 dollar receiver today has such amazingly flat frequency response and excellent nosie and distortion specs that it is pretty hard to "need" to spend more to get really excellent sound.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have a stack of McIntosh equipment in the corner with the gold and oynx faceplates and the gorgeous blue meters.. but my tin ears prolly couldn't tell the difference between that and my lowly Pioneer 1014 that I bought at Best Buy for $500 bucks.

Guest Anonymous

i respect Steve_L for having tin ears.... he is truley blessed for having the ears that he does! I personally disagree because i have an hk avr225 and my NAD stuff is night and day better to my ears, but that is only me. 1.gif

----------------

On 2/16/2005 10:31:56 PM RM1111 wrote:

I think BB have the 1014 on sale for 400, but not 100 percent sure.

----------------

BB doesn't sell Pioneer Elite. I wouldn't touch a low-end Pioneer, even the "top of the" (low-end) "line" 1014. Take it to the bank that it's just as cheap as the rest of the sub-$500 Pioneer crap they're schlepping at BB and other mass-market stores, with inferior amp circuitry and inferior DSP (they use that Motorola crap in Pioneer low-end, along with Sony low-end and nearly every other low-end model receiver save Yamaha, who use their own)

Best advice so far in this thread? Save your money until you can afford something nice. $500 isn't going to buy you much in the way of a receiver.

PS: Minn_male - I know how much you love Pioneer, but trust me - the VSX-Dxxx models are so hopelessly inferior to the Elite systems it's not even funny. Yeah, they put the same features in them, to satiate the bargain-shopper set, but the fundamental circuitry is pitiful, compared to the upscale models. I know, I used to have to schlep their crappy Dxxx models at BB. Grossly overrated wattage specifications, poor DSP performance, poor heat dissipation, just cheap, plastic junk, unfit to be seen in the same room as a Klipsch speaker, never mind hooked up to one.

----------------

On 2/17/2005 11:08:28 PM Griffinator wrote:

PS: Minn_male - I know how much you love Pioneer, but trust me - the VSX-Dxxx models are so hopelessly inferior to the Elite systems it's not even funny. Yeah, they put the same features in them, to satiate the bargain-shopper set, but the fundamental circuitry is pitiful, compared to the upscale models. I know, I used to have to schlep their crappy Dxxx models at BB. Grossly overrated wattage specifications, poor DSP performance, poor heat dissipation, just cheap, plastic junk, unfit to be seen in the same room as a Klipsch speaker, never mind hooked up to one.

----------------

i only heard the 1014 briefly at a co-worker's house.... it actually sounded pretty good....

but i didn't get a chance to do any serious listening..... the owner was pleased with it and the MCACC did improve the sound of his infinity speakers....

i did get a chance to do more extended listening with my other recommendation - a panasonic XR-25.... very good sound..... sounded much better than the $300 price tag....