I'm no Homer Formby but?

merkin

I have refinished furniture and trim around my house. How hard is it to change and black oak spaeker to oiled oak or something close. Hope this isn't the wrong forum for this question. If it is let me know.

Thanks

a newbie without much computer smarts

Getting the black totally out is a difficult thing. I tried it with a La Scala Bass bin and opted to finally refinish it back in black them. This will also help the bass bin that will sit below my TV disappear as well. I not sure you can remove the back stained pigment entirely with re-veneering them.

Someone here has done this. IF I'm not mistaken they couldn't get all of the black out, some was left in the grain of the wood. But it did lighten their speaker and they were satisfied.

IF you choose to veneer over the paint then it is not an issue, you have all kinds of choices on finish and wood. And it will cover the old color completely. Randy

What if you have a black finished speaker and want to touch it up?

I read the thread about the paint pen (as I recall). Those darn things have a pencil point tip. One of my speakers has several square inches on the bottom where the black finish is scuffed around.

Do you apply with paint pen and "work it around" with a rag or something? Do you paint it with the pen, using the pen tip as a paint brush and do NOT swirl it around?

Seems to be awfully inefficient item to use.

Someone have the recipe of how to for us dummies? (speaking for myself)

If the paint is just scuffed but still there I'd try a good grade car wax to buff it back up. If the paint is gone that would be more difficult to fix of course. You would really need professional help then. But you could maybe find some spray paint to match and mask the rest of the speaker off. After the paint dries then try buffing it into the rest of the speaker to match. Maybe not perfect but not so noticeable? Randy

Here's a subwoofer project I did back a few weeks ago.

This is the interior of the enclosure with Vb of 15.4 cubic ft (17.5 cubic ft total).

Baffle glued and screwed in place. Woofer is McCauley 6174. Tuning frequency for this

enclosure is 21.5Hz.

Here's the amp. It's an Adire Adio ADA1200. This is not a cheap Chinese plate amp.

It is very stout, 1.2kW into 4 Ohm load. As usual, ground loops were a problem. Solution was to make a ground strap and have all componets attached to it. That solved the problem.

hello i work with wood daily, its my day job and you will go thru the veneer to the underlying sub material before you get all the black out of the grain on oak, oak has a ver deep defined grain, a suggestion though is if you want to stain the speakers , do ahead and sand them and get the paint off except for what is in the grain the deepest then stain with a dark stain say dark or medium walnut, this looks fairly nice and actuall pronounces the grain more, be sure if you do sand them that you 1 either follow the grain of the veneer when sanding, or 2 use a random orbit sander, a final fine sanding with the grain after the random orbit gives very good results, as far as repairing the scuffed black paint just follow the fellas that repair cars, sand the edges of the paint smooth feather down untill smooth(making sure not to go thru the grain or veneer)find a close suitable spray paint, and paint the whole side from edge to edge and top to bottom, as long as the paint is a close match would be nearly impossiable to see, i also have the black laquer corns and heresy's, but in walnut not oak. Joe10.gif

Thanks for the replies. John that sub looks great.

I think I might just leave it black and slide it back on the shelf farther. Nobody will see the sides that much anyway.

As far as getting the black out I've seen it done with bleach. But that was on solid wood and not veneer. (This was done on a dark oak table and bleached blonde. In the early sixties. The table was then refinished back to natural oak ten years later and still looks good.) The problem with bleach is that it breaks down the wood fibers. On veneer this may break it apart and cause cracking.