A gain or loss - Belles for Cornwalls

richieb

Have a chance at a pair of pristine Belles locally, a plus already. I owned LaScalas so long ago that I have forgotten the sound of the horn loaded bass. The depth of the cabinets on the Corns and Belles would lead me to believe the mids should be very similar with the horns being roughly the same length. My new SS amp has given new, exciting life to my Cornwalls, a huge soundstage, very deep and clean bass, the sound being smooth and neutral overall. Damn, they are sounding good! Of course KHorns would be my choice but room configuration rules that out. Other than the Belles being so nice to look at and with their investment value do I gain much with Belles over the Cornwalls? Or are any gains in performance cancelled by other losses? Dazed and confused.

Personally, I'd keep the Cornwalls. Agree with your assessment of cabinet and investment of Belles however. They have the lower xover of mid, and I've not seen the response curve, but they probably have the same dips and peaks in mid bass as the LS. Of course I'm partial to Cornwalls, so I'd keep those at all costs. They would make great rear cabinets for the Belles up front if you like the furniture grade of the Belles better. Is there a WAF involved here? What is the condition and cost of each cabinet?

If you decide to pass on Belles or sell your Cornwalls, you know where to turn first- your friends on the Forum. But I haven't sold a Klipsch yet. Heck, put the Corns in the garage or basement if you have to... is there a bigger house in your future?

Michael

You'll lose LF extension, but overall -- a huge gain in my opinion. What bass you do get will be much lower in distortion. The Belle Klipsch cabinet will help clean up the mids and highs too, since it's more rigid -- as opposed to a box with no bracing. You'll probably want to add a nice sub down the road to handle things from 50Hz on down. Depending on what year they are, you'll probably want to clean up the networks.

If you are financially and space-wise able, get the Belles and try them. You, of course, would have no problem unloading either, once you've made a decision. BTW, no one but yourself can tell you which you'd prefer. Have you been offered a great deal? That can sway the decision as well. Perhaps the seller would let you audition them for a few days.