a trip to colterphoto's place...

DrWho

Not to speak for Colter, but seems he's rather busy these days acting all important and stuff [;)][Y] The KLF-C7 is a much better timbre match to the cornwall / lascala...a bit freaky actually considering how unrelated they are (at first glance). I never got to hear the RC-7 between the Cornwalls, but I have heard it in other setups and it is certainly very different sounding - not bad at all, just completely different. Turning it down will certainly make it less noticeable, but I think you would realize more sonic enjoyment with the implementation of a C7 (or Academy - though I've never heard the Academy).

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The KLF is MUCH better match than the RC. I look it simply as 'series' of speakers- the closer you get the two the better off you are. The KLF is a series 'back' from the RC.

I've got parts for a center CW, I'll either move the KLF to rear center or delete it altogether, so there might be one for sale here this summer.

M

I guess i'm asking a question only I can answer. Your rc-7 is probably stock. Deans upgraded network makes it spectacular. I'm willing to give up a perfect timbre match but not willing to give up the clarity of the rc-7, especially dialogue. Even quiet passages are intelligible. Maybe the KLF-C7 network can be upgraded if needed.

Thanks guys

Yeah I understand & agree with the timbre part. I'm turning into a heritage guy...prefering that sound, I suppose it's the mids which handles the majority of vocals/dialogue. If the KLF is like the rest of the heritage i've heard, it may be better than the rc-7 in that regard. I need to hear the KLF. Are these fairly easy to come by?

The word is slowly spreading on the KLF being a very good alternative for the much-lauded and highly-priced Academy. One nice thing about the KLF is that it can be had at a lower price point. I'm sure someone here keeps better tabs on pricing than moi, but Academy's bring what $400- $450, and I've seen KLF's in the $200-$300 range.

And that horn is SWEET

Academy Specifications

frequency response65Hz-20kHz±3dB

power handling100 watts maximum continuous

sensitivity96dB @ 1watt/1meter

nominal impedance8 ohms

tweeterK-76-KV 1" (2.54cm) Polymer dome compression driver

high frequency horn90°x40° Exponential Horn

high freq crossover2,200 Hz

wooferTwo K-1011-KV 8" (20.32cm) Poly cone

enclosure materialMedium density fiberboard construction (MDF)

enclosure typeSealed

dimensions23.25" (59.06cm) x 11" (27.94cm) x 10" (25.4cm)

weight33 lbs. (14.95kg)

finishesWalnut Oil, Oak Oil, Oak Clear, Finished Black

built from1992

built until1994

* Prices are US MSRP and may vary by country.

KLF-C7 Specifications

frequency response75Hz-20kHz±3dB

power handling150 watts maximum continuous (600 watts peak)

sensitivity99dB @ 1watt/1meter

nominal impedance8 ohms

tweeterK-90-KV 1" (2.54cm) Polymer diaphragm compression driver

high frequency horn90°x60° Tractrix® Horn

high freq crossover2,000 Hz

wooferTwo K-1062-KV 8" (20.32cm) Poly Carbon Graphite cones

enclosure materialMedium density fiberboard construction (MDF)

enclosure typeSealed

dimensions11" (27.94cm) x 27.19" (69cm) x 9.125" (23.18cm)

weight38 lbs. (17.25kg)

finishesLight Oak, Medium Oak, Mahogany, Black Satin

built from1997

built until2001

You tell me, I know specs don't tell it all, but the frequency response isn't an issue because center will be set to SMALL, right? The KLF has more power handling, is larger cabinet, and is 3 DB more efficient at 99db/w/mtr. That means I don't have to turn my LS down much and waste precious receiver power.

And, this is the kicker- it's a TRACTRIX horn vs the Academy's exponential...I've made up my mind.

"I do have PopBumper's Kstack crossover in the KLF. Regardless, as stock the KLF is a much better match than the RC. I don't see how tweaking either crossover could make such a magnificent difference in timbre that would change the balance. I'll stick to my statement."

I agree with that.

"Yikes, there is definetly no difference in the clarity - just the timbre."

I most definitely don't agree with that.

note- on Dean's post - paragraph one is quoted from me, the second is from Doc. Did you want to clarify that Doc? I had trouble with that statement as well. Clarity definitely improved with new networks.

I'm no network expert, but seems that the 'voice' or timbre of the speaker would only change dramatically if substantial revisions to the design or the network were made during the upgrade.Upgrading parts would only bring the timbre/voice back into spec as originally conceived.

"I do have PopBumper's Kstack crossover in the KLF. Regardless, as stock the KLF is a much better match than the RC. I don't see how tweaking either crossover could make such a magnificent difference in timbre that would change the balance. I'll stick to my statement."

I agree with that.

"Yikes, there is definetly no difference in the clarity - just the timbre."

I most definitely don't agree with that.

Well hell that throws a wrench in it. Dean, if you have heard a KLF-C7 can you elaborate. Colter owns both & I absolutely agree with him on timbre. I'm not familiar with the Kstack. If I can find someone in Arkansas that has the klf I will drive to hear it. I think you guys understand my issue with clarity, I would just like to hear the difference.

I interpreted doc's statement to say neither the KLF-C7 or RC-7 has an advantage over the other in regards to clarity.

Thanks Arky [Y]

I associate clarity with intelligibility and by no means should either center channel cause anyone to have a tougher time understanding speech (unlike centers like the SC-1 and RC-3).