a trip to colterphoto's place...

DrWho

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MCHTrightsm.jpg

The challenges in this setup were that I didn't want my back to the front door (where this was photographed from, also wanted the soundstage to be as wide as possible and to have both the 35" Sony and fireplace as dual visual points of interest, so I couldn't turn my back to the fireplace.

From the left of the image is the gas fireplace on Bedford Stone wall, KSW12 which sits on felt feet on a slate section of floor, so it is not muffled by the carpet. This portion of the house is over a basement, so floor shock from the sub and 4 Cornwalls is definitely FELT. Paneling is genuine 1" knotty pine with no plaster or drywall behind it, so it has a very warm resonant tone, like you'd expect in a studio room built for recording cello or piano. Ceiling is 1" hard plaster and floor is double padded carpet over wood parquet floor, VERY soft. This combination of surfaces, combined with the asymmetrical layout, help with the diffusion and reflection of sound in a very natural manner.

Note the entry door to the garage just past the rack and the offset area that housed both the TV and rack, keeping their profiles out of visual range. The tall object is a 100" Luma projection screen by Draper (made in IN) which I will hang over the fireplace and 35" for use with my Canon digital projector. It's almost to close to viewing area for that size of screen but I don't use the whole screen so you don't have to swivel your neck. Great for Football! Canon is also used in the photo gallery, so it just gets set up here occasionally.

Large vent is the A/C return, which is heavily baffled to keep noise down. Home heat is radiant baseboard, which eliminates dry air and produces no sounds whatsoever. (however it does prohibit ever using Khorns in this home)

Although the L main is in the middle of the room, and the R main is against the side wall, they are equidistant from the TV and angled so as to strike the center of the sofa dead on. Yamaha YPAO adjusts for any timing differences.

The right 'rear' surround is also on the right side wall- facing across the listening area. From the sweet spot, I'm about 20 degrees off axis, approximately the same as the off-axis from the left rear which is on the back wall.

Michael

Well well colter. Your room looks almost exactly like I imagined it from your description (in the architectural topic area a while back I believe).

And Mike (Dr.Who), at my place your Nightwish CD could have sounded much better. It just needed some EQing IMO (so does the Three Dog Night) (Hmmm, NIGHTwish, 3 Dog NIGHT, do I see a pattern evolving here?). I was running the SACD/CD player directly into the power amps to get the highest sound quality bypassing the preamp/control center. It's sometimes a tradeoff, do I want slightly less resolution and do the tone control thang, or go for the ultimate in playback accuracy. Since this was your first visit and obviously I'd prefer to use recordings known to be of the highest quality for demonstration, I figured we'd go for the ultimate playback quality first. But in everyday use (control center inserted) I regularly adjust EQ to give certain recordings more "oomph", especially rock.

Mr. Artto, I was hoping you'd find me, in fact was going to give a personal invite for your perusal of my setup. Sorry for the horrible delay in getting photos up, house has been under renovation, moving, new Corns for rear etc. More photos and explanations follow. I'll post a diagram with measurements in a few days. Welcome any and all comments about my highly unorthodox setup. But if anything, I now have TIMBRE MATCH- and it has cost a fortune- Thanks guys!

Michael

MCHTleftsm.jpg

Here is the left side of my setup. You can see the main L Cornwall which is about 10 feet from the side wall to give room for aisle and dining table as it's a multipurpose room.

On top of the KSW12 lie components for my eventual CCC Custom Center Cornwall. From an 85 cabinet, I got 33 woofer, K57 driver with K601 plastic horn, K77 (not K79) tweet and B3 network. I'll run it with the K57 it's natural +3dB level at first since it's a center it might work out for dialog. I'll construct the cabinet myself in a vertical configuration.

Currently under the Sony 35" is a KLF-C7 center channel which took the place of a RC7, now in storage. Eventually the KLF-C7 might be a rear center and the RC7 will fit in with the set of 4 RB5's I have. That will be the temp system while the Corns are in the shop.

Michael

MCHTracksm.jpg

Here's the main rack, from top to bottom

Rabbit ears (need whole house antennae up top, don't believe in catv)

Denon CD player

Sony DVD

Technics SL1700 Turntable with Stanton 681EE cartridge (spares in small case)

Yamaha RXV2400 YPAO 7x130 watt receiver the 'extra' two channels of amp are used with rec out circuit to power two Klipsch KSB1.1's in the studio gallery beyond this room.

Technics VHS

Denon Cassette

MCHTbacksm.jpg

Here's the rear of the room, with the two Cornwall vertical 63's in walnut with cane grills. After refinishing, I'll probably swap these with the two black grille horizontal units, as they are probably less diffuse and would give better imaging across the front where the more diffuse verts would work best for rears.

Although the right rear (to pix L) is on a side wall and the left rear (to pix R) is on the back wall, notice that the seating position is approx 20 degrees off axis to either, therefore this wacky configuration seems to work well. Angling the sofa adds to the assymetry, but helps keep the listener more equidistant from both.

The RB5 is inop and will be replaced with KLF-C7 in final setup.

Sofa will more than likely be replaced with an L shaped 50's modern unit with short leg of L extending towards fireplace, the 'cuddle zone'.

Having the mains strike the rear wood wall at angles means almost no standing waves in the room. It's extremely smooth and void of any distractions.

post-10755-13819261953362_thumb.jpg

MCHTwidesm.jpg

Just an overall shot of the listening area from the front door. There is a half wall to keep wind out, also covered with pine. About 10 feet of this end of the room is walkway and area for lamps and dining table.

Okay guys, have at me. I know it's wacky, but it sounds great to me and works in terms of furniture placement and observing the rules I set out in first photo post.

whaddya think?/?????

Michael

OMG it's clean!! You have come a LONG way!!!!

(It is an inside joke guys, I also know how it is with move ins as well. hahaha)

Upon looking at the huge Bello rack and your right... It does blend in fantastic...

Any reason not to have a regular CW as the center? Set the TV on top of it? With the huge Bello rack it might work fantastic and no more than a 12* tilt up (industry CEDIA guide lines) too, so should work great!

Roger

BTW nice looking ***** in that last pic too!

Never heard a rattle, the antiques in the cabinet are only one high and glasses are separated by 1/4 inch so they don't touch. Actually, never heard any buzz out of anything in the room at all.

EDIT POST- It may help with vibrations that the china cabinet is right next to a load-bearing wall, so there is a block support wall in basement right under it. Plus my sub is not that loud and I rarely really crank it. END EDIT

Indy- I'm waiting to get real dispersion charts on the CW. Cabinet may be altered slightly to get the height and width the space demands. Hope to keep volume the same so I don't have to change the port. The depth could be like 24" because of the 35" tv depth.

Unfortunately, I have a wedding to photograph the weekend of the Pilgrimage, but y'all could come over early Fri or watch me stumble around on Sun if ya wanted. I'll know later what time I'll be home Sat night. Exotic entertainment anyone???

Michael

460 hits and hardly a note. geez guys, tell me it's hideous or 'how can you stand it' or something. It's weird posting like this and not getting any feedback at all. I realize it's a multipurpose room, not your standard Home Theatre with all the bells and whistles, but lots of equipment and love has gone into it. So tell me something, anything- I'm a big boy, I can take it.

Michael

haha, awesome pics (great lighting job too)...now where's the one with the chorus II versus the cornwall?

the more i think about it, the more i can't believe how good your system sounded. I think I might try some assymetrical setups sometime and see what happens. You really got a rockin system.

re artto: I think EQ would have made the difference too. There were just so many new sounds (tubes/fully horn loaded/LP/your room, etc etc) that I didn't have enough time to decipher which as which. And as mentioned, you can't deny how realistic the good recordings are. 2.gif Btw, I'll be attending UIUC in the fall, which means I'll have access to that one hall for real cheap (can't remember the name off the top of me head).

One of these days though, I really want to see if Nightwish can sound good on khorns...I am so glad that they sound amazing on cornwalls/chorus II's, which leads me to believe it's a bass issue (and not a hornified mid/tweeter problem).

Back to Colter's room, I think one thing he really needs is a powerful kicking sub...something that can do like 130dB at 10Hz in order to keep up with his tastes 2.gif (ok, maybe 110dB at 20Hz). The cornwalls had a thunderous sound, but they dropped really fast below 40Hz. Granted, a lot of his music doesn't have information any lower, but there were just a few times when you could tell they were sputtering out...not distorting, but there was material lower than they were flat to (which is another great characteristic of the cornwall...it doesn't start sounding worse when you're playing out of its range. a 20Hz note had no bad side effects whatsoever; it was just quiet).

btw, thx for having me over...it was a real treat.

I like your cat (got a bunch of 'em myself).5.gif

Your room is very interesting in the approach you had to take in order to set it all up properly so it sounds its best...I like it! If it sounds as good as you describe, then it's all worthwhile in my opinion. Wish I had a room that size in my home; my formal livingroom is a bit smaller than yours, plus with an antique reed organ and upright piano, not to mention the pipe organ console that sits on the other end of the room, there just isn't any place for me to setup my Cornwalls. Not until my dad can sell the organ he built...once the console is out of the room, I could finally rearrange the room to accept my Cornwalls, and I'd be in audio heaven just as you are right now!

Thanks for sharing your system with us, and enjoy!2.gif

I know what ya mean JT, my Mom's old upright piano and Grandpa's Edison record player will have to go in the second bedroom and I've got antiques in the garage still. 4000 ft2 just not enough for me. I lost my grandfather, grandmother and Mom with a couple of years of each other and got all kinds of very cool furniture. I had barns full at the old farmhouse, just not room in the city. Guess it's time for an outbuilding- whatever will the neighbors think!?!??

NEVER sell the organ your Father built, you would be sorry someday. I suggest taking lessons on it! From him if possible.

Oh yeah, and there's three cats. Black one is Gypsy (Jimi H. band), Grey is Steely Dan, Big fluffy multicolored is Macy Gray. Gotta have ROCK names, doncha? They run the joint.

Michael