a trip to colterphoto's place...

DrWho

----------------

On 2/24/2005 11:39:40 PM oneleggedbob wrote:

Hey Drwho glad to see the chorus II were in good shape and that they made it to you safe..kinda wish i would have kept them but the shipping risk was just to great for me to take..enjoy and congrats...
2.gif

----------------

ah, there you are! I was just about to start digging through my old emails and then found your post. To be honest, I feel indebted to ya man. If nothing else, let me buy you a drink or something. Heck, if you wanted to cover all them bloody costs, I'd have no problem parting with them either (though that offer only goes to you, lol).

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 2/24/2005 10:22:16 PM j-malotky wrote:

Great Pics!!!

The image I had in my head of you two was not too far off
1.gif

JM

----------------

I think that's scary because I think it's an awful picture of me, lol...good thing my hair gets lost in the background! The thing that threw me for a loop upon meeting colter is the sound of his voice. He seriously sounds like a completely different person over the phone. I think colter would make a good radio announcer dude. Btw, who is this JHawk character?

One thing I didn't comment on earlier was colter's music collection. He has a lot of great sounding albums in there. I think I personally own only half a dozen or so of good recordings. I think what added to the wow factor is the me and colter have a lot of the same tastes (i'm just not as open and visual about "rocking out"...you guys shoulda seen him dancing around the room, lol). He made a good comment that your system is only as good as your music collection. It's kinda hard to enjoy a really good system if all you got are 3 mp3's of amy grant.

I was wondering, have you ever listened to your verticle cornwalls being run as mains, Mike? You were looking for room advice and you might want to decipher why exactly we got that lack of bass running all 5 channels at once. It would be tragic if there was something wrong with the speakers themeselves.

My arch-nemisis DrWho writes (naw, just feeling like some comic-book-speak at 5 am):"Heck, if you wanted to cover all them bloody costs, I'd have no problem parting with them either"

Thats the kind of gentlemanliness I LOVE about this Forum, I remember a post last year about a guy who sold Cornwalls, wanted them back, and the buyer actually made it so! What a cool bunch of guys.

SOrry about the hair thing, of course I either never or always have a bad hair day, depends on your view of curls on guys! On later reflection, I should have had you, with darker shirt and hair, posed against the lighter background stone wall for contrast, whilst I with grey sweatshirt (NYC!) was against the darker side. But we were too tired to move the speakers around!

Thats' why I havent swapped the Cornwalls. It's just too much furniture moving for now, when I'm trying to do so much more around the house. I'll just rebuild em, then figure it out, but I have a feeling the Verts will be the mains. By then they'll be a matched set anyway. DRWHO, do you remember where that little wood chip from base was? I can't find it- ARRRGGGHHH!>!>!>!>

Any dispersion charts on the K600 guys? I saw a guy with a homemade Khorn with ALtec 500 horn and he had the K77 on END! So which way does the sound spew???

Michael

lol, don't worry about the hair thing...i actually enjoy it being hidden because I am a good 3 weeks overdue on a haircut and I was tired after rushing a fraternity the night before AND I had the window open while I was on my way over. I had every reason to look like crap, but as a good photographer you helped hide those flaws...Now when you gonna take that gut off me belly 2.gif

The little woodchip was in an envelope on that one atique table thing that was sitting near your FL cornwall...unless i moved it into your office (which I think might be what happened because we got caught up in that CD crashing your mac, lol). Let me check my car before you go tearing through your house...I'm pretty sure it's not there though.

OMG MICHAEL!!!!!!! In that photo of your CD/DVD/Movie collection, is that truly a signed original release of 'Debbie Does Dallas' you have???

You ARE the man!!9.gif

Seriously though, thanks for putting up some pics so we can get a bit of insight as to what your crib actually looks like. Those rooms look very nice with those wood walls. They look to be in good shape too. Yes???

And then there's the photo of your office.15.gif Dude, you need to clean that up a bit. There's the lived in look and then there's the LIVED IN look. What chick is gonna give you the time of day if they see that? Know what women think when they see clutter like that? They don't think, "He's a slob." They think, "Oh hell...he's looking for a maid. Gotta run. Ba-bye." Listen, if it was me, I'd hire one of those maid services that cleans while topless. Yeah....I see that smile.

Tom

Dude, if you left it in the office it's as well as GONE! See Tom's note above. Seriously, I'll check around, but look in the car and let me know if you find it. Meanwhile, I'll continue to NOT THROW ANYTHING AWAY, which was been my apparent creedo since moving here.

Tom, I had a maid, but was moving and unpacking so much stuff that it was pointless. The office, well that's just the scatterbrained way I work. Negs and client files everywhere. Never lost a neg yet though! Like the topless idea.

Michael

Dude, if you left it in the office it's as well as GONE! See Tom's note above. Seriously, I'll check around, but look in the car and let me know if you find it. Meanwhile, I'll continue to NOT THROW ANYTHING AWAY, which was been my apparent creedo since moving here.

Tom, I had a maid, but was moving and unpacking so much stuff that it was pointless. The office, well that's just the scatterbrained way I work. Negs and client files everywhere. Never lost a neg yet though! Like the topless idea.

Michael

----------------

On 2/25/2005 2:16:28 PM fini wrote:

----------------

On 2/25/2005 11:45:22 AM Tom Adams wrote:

Listen, if it was me, I'd hire one of those maid services that cleans while topless.

----------------

Do they do windows?

----------------

Yes....they....do. And I'm told it's the back-n-forth cleaning motion that makes it special.11.gif6.gif

Tom

Michael,

That room just BEGS for leather. A sofa and possibly a matching oversized chair along with a huge ottoman would do the trick (for starters).

We have a mucho expensive Hancock & Moore leather sofa & ottoman and we're waiting for delivery of the matching chair-and-a-half......and we just have wallpaper! Babes love leather! Oh yeah. Don't forget the bear-skin rug.2.gif

That is one of two directions Gary. I was either thinking the hunting-lodge look, or use the paneling and stone and go 50's retro with 'moderne' sofa in nubly orange or teal fabric and Wright-inspired lamps etc.

Was trying to steer clear of the leather lodge thing because it would be soooo masculine and dark. Amy?? Other gals??

Any ideas from anyone on finishes for the Cornwalls? I'm leaning in the direction of teak (lighter than walnut) with the cane grilles (again light, furniture-looking, goes with the retro look). Don't think oak, zebra, or cherry would be appropriate and there's so much square footage that I have to watch the cost. We're talking 14 ft2 of veneer each + waste + edges x FIVE cabinets. Probably close to 90 ft2 total.

Thanks,

Michael

• 2 weeks later...

Ladies- I know there's a couple of you out there. Please check 3rd to last post. Looking for some decorating ideas. HELP! I'm just a single guy/equipment junkie, but I want it to look nice and inviting

(want to come over and see my etchings?..)

Michael

----------------

On 2/23/2005 1:55:00 PM garymd wrote:

DrWho,

Just an FYI - I have absolutely no surface noise on my TT with most LPs. I spent a bloody fortune to get a table that would play that way however.

----------------

what type turntable is this also the cartridge thanks Joe10.gif

• 1 year later...

My 1st time seeing this thread..good read & the making of a great friendship.

Colter

Will you compare the rc-7 sound to the klc-7. I am now using cornscala 2's & cw's with a rc-7 left over from a reference setup. The rc-7 isn't a great match but tweaking (dialing down) that channel makes it pretty good. That rc-7, after Dean got through with it, is extremely detailed & clear, especially with dialogues. So much so I'm afraid to take it out of the mix. I don't want a lesser center spkr.

Thanks