a trip to colterphoto's place...

DrWho

I figured I'd make a new thread for this like I did a while back when Artto let me visit his place. I think the easiest way to talk about this would be a narrated story so here goes:

A while back around January a fellow forum member from Wisconsin scored a pair of Chorus II's in Florida on EBAY with a $150 BIN. He jumped on them right away, but got cold feet due to some wierd experiences with the seller. He then offered the pair up to anyone on the forum and I figured what the heck, I have a great uncle in orlando who might be willing to swing by and check them out. Well he did swing by and bought them before I even mailed him a check. So now I got a new pair of Chorus II's sitting in his garage and I live near Chicago. After doing some research on all sorts of shipping methods, I find out colter scored a pair of cornwalls for $500 from some old lady looking to get rid of them (klipsch even posted a thread to help the lady sell them). Colter jumped on the deal, and did some research and figured that he could fly down there and rent a van to bring them back. He calculated that it would cost around $200-$300.

I forget how it happened, but somehow we cut a deal where he would swing by orlando and bring back my speakers to indy where it wouldn't be a big deal for me to swing by. A couple weeks later colter contacts me and lets me know that he can't make the trip. I figure no big deal, it'll just give me an excuse to visit my uncle in florida and drive the speakers back myself. Some time goes on and I find myself at the doctor's office where we finally decide to get my tonsils removed...over spring break nonetheless! During the visit, I was thinking about how long it'd be for me to finally get to hear my speakers and I was contemplating doing a 24 hour drive, picking them up and driving straight back all in one weekend.

I get home and there's a message for me from colter telling me that this lady is moving to south america and if he doesn't pick up the speakers, then they'll end up in the trash! He told me he'd pick up my speakers while he was down there and we would go from there. Last friday he calls me and tells me that the number i gave him for my great uncle was wrong and that i better call my uncle to let him know that colter was like 10 minutes away, lol. Anyways, the trip goes smoothly but ends up costing Colter well over $600. His last minute plane ticket was rather expensive and the car rental had all sorts of daily fees not listed on the website.

Colter makes it back to Indy safe and sound (well mostly sound) and he calls me late at night to tell me about his trip. I think we talked for a good hour or two, I forget. Every time we talk we could totally rattle on for hours...he reminds me of Jack Black's role in School of Rock. Anyways, I find out that my speakers are black (which is what i wanted) and in pristine condition! woohoo! Colter's on the other hand turned out to be a bit beat up and all that, but I thought they sounded rather nice. A week later I find myself at UIUC rushing for the Farmhouse fraternity (any alumni on the forum?) and I figured that it would make sense to jump over to Indy the next day rather than making a totally seperate trip some other time. Well the timing turned out perfect because it gave Colter an hour after some meeting or something to get things ready for me.

So I finally arrive to his place...well, i arrive at the house across the street, lol. Good thing he was out getting his mail at the time (or was that a cover up to make me feel less stupid? lol). anyways, he shows me around the house and all his photography stuff. He's got some really cool things happening there. It was nice to have some time to get that road feeling off. When I walked in the door, his assitant was laying on the couch watching LOTR with a nasty headache. She obviously left probably knowing the craziness bound to happen later 2.gif

To be honest, i forget what exactly we listend to and the order that we listened. the two things that stuck out the most to me were my nightwish CD and his ozzy/sabbath live DVD thing. For those of you not familiar with my trip to Artto's place, nightwish sounded like utter unbearable crap on his system. I was deadly fearing the same might happen on the Chorus II's and I was reassuring myself that I could always make a profit if I sold them right away. To my utter surprise and joy, nightwish sounded freaken amazing on his cornwalls. I so wanted to bust out the Chorus II's and hear it on them, but I was enjoying it too much, lol. Colter then proceeded to play me all sorts of music from all the old famous bands that I knew nothing about besides their names. I don't think there was any music that I didn't like, and I'm hoping to purchase some of these albums (if funds permit of course...i hate being a college kid).

Ok, so a little about his setup. At first glance, I think most anyone would think he was on drugs or had no idea what he was doing when he positioned everything. But when you look around his room and see his placement options, he's really got it dialed in extremely well. Perhaps colter can provide us with a top view drawing of how everything is laid out. Basically, he's got a pseudo corner arrangement that is assymetrical in the room, but sounds very symmetrical at the listening position. It was wierd, but you could tell he spent some good time getting it just right. His room has a thick carpeted floor and wooden walls with a plaster cieling. The acoustics of his environment were very good...no major resonances, very quite, and definetly warm sounding. He really has a good listening environment going for him.

As far as his system goes I think I'll let him post all the specs and details and all that. He's got a really slick rack with excellent cable management. Colter made frequent mention to others on the forum telling him that his yamaha is bright and he was really looking for opinions on the matter. In all honesty, there isn't a hint of brightness on that reciever...even when listening to source material known to sound bright. I think the best way to sum up his system is that there are no distractions. He's got cornwalls in the front with a KLF-C7 center (which I might add is a very very good match) and then the verticals in the rear. I usually find surround effects to be a bit distracting and annoying at times, but everything images so well that you almost don't even realize it (except for the times Colter kept pointing out how well it imaged everytime, lol). It really was a treat.

Negatives of his system? The first most apparent downside is that the cornwalls drop fast below 40Hz (clearly seen in the specs too). However, the material it was missing in that bottom octave was hardly noticeable unless you were listening for it. I really like the voicing of the cornwall...the low to mid transition is very seamless and natural (despite the fact that one is a horn and the other is a direct radiator). The other downside was when listening to MUSIC with all the speakers playing...it felt as if the bass was sucked out of the room. I think this could be expected though because the orientation of all his speakers causes some wierd acoustical things to happen. i don't like listening to music in multichannel anyway so it's kind of a mute issue. For some reason you don't have this problem when watching movies...probably due to the different source material for each speaker (not as much cancelling happening). And lastly, the only thing that is always an improvement for any listening environment is to improve the acoustics or in colter's case, find himself a totally dedicated room so that he can get a textbook layout of his speakers. The difference would be minimal, but I think even colter would appreciate the benefits a better room would have for him.

In another post, colter mentioned that he lays down on his back on the floor and his feet on the couch...i totally do the same thing, but i flip the L and R channel so that i'm still hearing the left side in my left ear. I know it's not that big of a deal, but drums always sound wierd to me when panned in the opposite direction...gotta have that high hat on the right and the tom fills going from right to left.

hmmm, what else to mention...oh right, your turntable. How much did that thing cost you? I was surprised how good it sounded and I was hoping I might be able to enjoy an entry level setup (if indeed your's is). I still hate the surface noise on LP's, but I like the fact that you can get albums for $1 2.gif

we also had some really good pizza from the local pizza shop...i'd say it was the second best pizza i've ever tasted. It was my 3rd meal in a row eating pizza, but hey im a sound guy 2.gif Speaking of which, it was fun talking pro sound stuff with someone that knew what i was talking about. my peers here at home are always telling me to shut up and just enjoy the music (which at times is actually good advice, but there are times where the technical knowhow is needed) 2.gif

Man there's so much to write about and y'all are probably bored already. We messed around with the yamaha auto EQ thing and that was really pretty cool (we let it run while we got the pizza) and when we got back it sounded like a completely new system.

The last thing I wanted to comment on is the Chorus II's. The cable situation made it difficult to do a quick A/B between the chorus and the cornwalls, but it was interesting to hear the difference between the two nonetheless. so what are the differences? at loud volumes the chorus II's are less shrill (talking minor shrillness here which colters thinks is the horn ringing) and they are a little bit more laid back (almost drier sounding), whereas the cornwalls have a much bigger warmer sound. The bass was a bit lacking with the Chorus II's, but we didn't really mess with the positioning that much and the passive radiators do better with a wall near them. Hearing the Chorus II's at home further comfirmed my assertion. Both speakers drop hard after 40Hz which is a bit dissapointing because a lot of my rock has a lot of 30Hz material, but that's life. I'm building a subwoofer here anyway so no biggy. To be honest, I don't think I could tell the difference between the two if I had no idea which was playing (provided both were in good acoustic positions). The differences were subtle but the cornwall is definetly the better speaker.

So ya, to sum up the cornwall and chorus speakers: they're the most enjoyable, but not distracting speakers I've ever heard...definetly a good rock speaker (I think at one time we were blasting away at over 110dB, dang it felt good to hear such loud bliss without any signs of distortion or power compression or anything...they both glide at those volumes).

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi DrWho,

The turntables for botht the main and basement system are just Technics SL1700, a fairly entry level consumer model (the pro DJ unit with massive speed controls is the 1200)

I use Stanton 681EEE cartridges for the back cueing I used to do when recording cassettes. It kept down the crackle time between songs.

Don't have a drawing program or I'd try to draft up a grid of the main listening room layout. What would you recommend? Maybe I can do it on Mac. Photos to follow.

Michael

Dr. Who, aka Mike!, great story! Long post! Crazy read! Glad you had such a rad time. I can totally relate, having just come fresh from Andy Kubicki's place with a couple other "forum bros." And yeah, isn't it funny how pizza seems to be the official food of forum member get-togethers? We had chicago pizza, I'll bet it was better than yours! 3.gif

Anyhow, terrific post, I got more than a healthy gist of what the experience must've been like. I think this year, we all (as in all of us) have to really, really try and make it out to The Klipsch Pilgramage. Not only is it too rare in this world to meet others with the same passion in audio as you, but the guys, and gals here, are so dope, we're really missing out if we don't make it a point to meet each other. I think we owe it to ourselves. And our hobby.

By the way, do you have a TT yourself, being a sound-guy and all? Or are you still currently all about digital?

----------------

On 2/21/2005 3:25:31 AM nicholtl wrote:

By the way, do you have a TT yourself, being a sound-guy and all? Or are you still currently all about digital?

----------------

Technically I do own a turntable...some old integrated Sanyo tt/cassette/radio reciever thing (with aux in, a mic in, and recording capabilities). Anyways, it sucks but it's a lot better than normal computer speakers. My dad got rid of all his LPs a while ago during a flood and I think we need a new needle for the arm thing too.

In some ways I am a digital fan, but there are times (not always) that it's no substitute for good analog gear. My experience with analog has more to do with reel to reel and cassette tapes (I ran a tape studio for a few years, and worked there for many years before that). I grew up with CDs so I find it hard to ignore the surface noise on LPs. You're really opening up a can of worms here so i will just leave it at that. But when it comes down to it, I would rather be behind the board of a live concert than in the studio.

hey colter, you can just use ms paint or even microsoft word to draw up a simple diagram of your room. i don't know of any built in mac software that lets you draw. when you gonna have those pics available?

Tom, it's really not so much that, I can shoot develop, and scan in a day. It's just all the junk in my house. Plus I want to be a friggin perfectionist about the photos.

Tell you what, I'm just going to take a bunch of pix this afternoon (already got the interior 63 corns done), with whatever junk is lying about, call it the 'before' shots. Just so youse guys can critique my asymettrical layout. d'okay?

Now I'll have to learn how to post the pix. THink instructions are on the website thread, right?

btw, I ordered from Orange Co speaker those gold dual bananas, will be using them where they will fit so's I don't short out!

Michael

Dr Who

I had no idea you were from Wisconsin. There are a bunch of us forum guys in the Milwaukee - Madison area that get together every few months. Your more than welcome to join us.

I use to own Chorus 1's and Cornwalls at the same time, and IMO I prefered the Chorus 1. I have heard others say the tractrix is more mellow or smooth sounding. Simular to your findings.

JM

----------------

On 2/21/2005 5:44:07 PM j-malotky wrote:

Dr Who

I had no idea you were from Wisconsin. There are a bunch of us forum guys in the Milwaukee - Madison area that get together every few months. Your more than welcome to join us.

I use to own Chorus 1's and Cornwalls at the same time, and IMO I prefered the Chorus 1. I have heard others say the tractrix is more mellow or smooth sounding. Simular to your findings.

JM

----------------

Actually I am from the Chicagoland area (aurora to be exact which is 45 miles west of chicago). The guy that found the Chorus II's on ebay was from Wisconsin...he got cold feet and offered the great deal to someone on the forum. I wish I could remember his name, but I'm on a new pc now and I haven't transfered my old emails over yet. Milwaukee and Madison are only 2 hours away so perhaps I might take you up on that offer sometime. Artto has mentioned your setup and I would be most interested hearing khorns performing HT duties. I also notice that you've got SVS subs that everyone likes to rave about 2.gif

Just for kicks, how would you compare the chourus/cornwall sound to that of the khorn in your room? do you run your subs for 2 channel as well?

"Tom, it's really not so much that, I can shoot develop, and scan in a day. It's just all the junk in my house. Plus I want to be a friggin perfectionist about the photos."

Colter just making excuse since he's an amateur wannabe...he ain't know jack about photography...3.gif9.gif12.gif.

Just take the damn pictures will ya.

lol

btw, did you get that cd to work mr. colter dude? If not, I'll send you another one in the mail, with the next mail I'll be sending. Btw, have you sent me that first piece of mail yet?

Ok, I gotta tell the story despite how embarrasing it is. When I cut colter a check to help reimburse part of his cost, I wrote down one dollar ammount and then spelled out a different amount (I forgot to write #### FIFTY) so now he can't cash the check! I am so grateful that he took it well and he'll be getting a new check in the mail soon, lol. Man I feel stupid 15.gif And to think I felt like we were wasting time in highschool spending a week on "learning how to write checks"

Anyways, still patiently awaiting those pics...I hope I don't look like an idiot when you asked for that mean look, you made it very difficult to pretend angry 11.gif