Heresy in the 2 Channel Forum...but it is the right place

Mallette

Yep, it's been a while, but I am still breathing. Not only breathing but planning a disc. A surround disc. Why would you ol' poops care? Well, I am an ol' poop, too. But I can learn, and I think I have. You can help me determine whether or not this is fact or fantasy. I've just completed a paper called "Virtual Presence and the Six Cardinal Rules of Sound Acquistion." I am not going to post it here, as I need further input from my peers (and superiors) in this area to test the structure of the paper. If you want to help, email me personally and request a copy from damallett@mallette.org, or go to www.mbsdar.com and download the pdf file there. If you request it personally, I'll send the .doc file you can mark up and trash at will. That is what I need right now...

Good to be back. Looking forward to hearing from you guys...really.

Dave

P.S. Jim Tidwell...if you are still out there, I note your dad has finished the Boston organ rebuild. Time to get him down there and fix that organ in your house so we can record "Organ in Residence" in Virtual Presence!

Dang. Thought I fixed that. Yup, its ".com" MBS-5 is still my personal server...and best of class IMHO. But it isn't where I am headind but more of a stopover on the way. Nothing on the site right now but one page with the download link to the paper.

Great to hear from you, Marvel. I've learned a lot from you in the past. Read the paper, and let me know if you think it "took."

Dave

Actually, it was a pretty cheesy electronic and a bit overexposed. About an hour later that version of SoundCube was Hindenburgered by a fast moving Gulf thunderstorm that caught us by surprise. Should have taken a picture of that, but was bit miffed at the time. I went with double thickness on the current version...much heavier, but at least it stays together.

Dave

Going good, man. Just spent the day going through a STACK of LP's selecting material for the first "Exploration of Space" disk. Have a "shortlist" of Campra, Giguout, Strauss, Bach, De Lalande, Mouret, et al organ/instrument/choir pieces that will make for some awesome antiphonal/surround experience if I can make it happen.

Haven't done anything else with the Spanker material. The 24/88.2 stereo tracks had a bit of him in one channel rendering it useless, and the 24/192 4 channel stuff is pretty much undigestible by anything other than playin as wav files. I've some software on the way that will change that, and will do some experiments with those tracks to see if I can achieve a DVD-A that meets spec. If it works out, I'll try to get you one. I know you've waited forever patiently for that stuff, but, as you can see, I really have been busy. The Spankers were fun, but mainly an experiment moving towards my "Virtual Presence" paper. I might want to address them again at some point in the future if they are interested, but I have other fish to fry at the moment.

Dave

Hey DD...now that you mention it, I guess nobody knows where I actually am. I am "commuting" 10 on/4 off to Ft. Leonard Wood, MO where I am designing/developing L3/4 simulations for an Army countermine/counter explosive hazards course. I am in what I laughingly refer to as "My luxury downtown Waynesville townhome overlooking the historic square with it's fine shopping and dining." That would be Big Willies BBQ and Taylor's Antiques.

Makes building the nextgen MBS-6 digital audio recorder and working with the groups I hope to record a bit of a challenge. Well, it will be done in July and, hopefully, I'll be back in the Lone Star Republic for a while.

Dave

Ben: As you may recall, my belief is in great music, well performed, recorded in an attempt to preserve without editorializing. I hope that is reflected in my paper. It certainly means that I still treasure and listen to my 78's, and every recording in every medium that meets those standards. If they need a home, send them on...

Dang, it is old home week. Didn't know I'd been missed.

Well, I've not given up on MIDI, but I guess I am pretty focused on Virtual Presence at the moment. It is difficult enough to consider I am any good at simply preserving the performances of real musicians to give any thought to creating any.

Dave

General PS: Mobile was mentioned earlier. Interesting guy who dropped out before I did. Any word from him since? We had some fascinating off-list exchanges.