Running two amps

jpm

There are alot of folks who do run single mono amp on each channel. There can be advantages, in contrast to running a stereo/2channel amp. However, if the stereo amp is a high quality amp, the differences might not be audible. The main advantage is that with mono amps the two channels do not have a shared power supply. The mono amps can be placed closer to the speaker, allowing for shorter runs from the amp to the speaker. However, longer interconnects between the power amp and the pre amp can become an issue there.

IMO monoblocks are fine, but I also use a stereo amp with no worries.

----------------

On 2/20/2005 11:35:04 PM jpm wrote:

any advantage to an amp per channel?

----------------

the quality of the amp will be the determining factor of the sound coming out of your speakers.....

a good stereo amp will sound much better than a pair of cheap monoblocks... (i could list examples of what i consider to be "cheap" monoblock amplifiers, but some forum members are pretty thin skinned and take offense easily if i give my true opinion about their brand of amplifier)2.gif

it is not the packaging (two chassis vs one chassis) as much as it is the quality of the transformers, capacitors, and the rest of the electronics as well as the design of amplifier....

1.gif

"a good stereo amp will sound much better than a pair of cheap monoblocks... (i could list examples of what i consider to be "cheap" monoblock amplifiers, but some forum members are pretty thin skinned and take offense easily if i give my true opinion about their brand of amplifier)"

Your opinion holds no merit to me, what "cheap" monoblock amplifiers are you talking about?

----------------

On 2/21/2005 4:55:32 PM mike stehr wrote:

...Your opinion holds no merit to me, what "cheap" monoblock amplifiers are you talking about?

----------------

if my opinion holds no merit with you - then why do you want to know??? (jk)

9.gif

let's just say an internet direct brand with entry level monoblock ss amps... that have been known to overheat and even shutdown when presented with low impedance loads....

2.gif

if my opinion holds no merit with you - then why do you want to know??? (jk)

Because I'm bored?

2.gif

9.gif

let's just say an internet direct brand with entry level monoblock ss amps... that have been known to overheat and even shutdown when presented with low impedance loads....

I have no idea what brand that is. Is there forum members with these amplifiers?

You don't have to answer if you don't want to, I'm not going to lose sleep over it.....

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 2/21/2005 5:46:32 PM j-malotky wrote:

What I have found is running mono amps gives you a lot better separation, resulting in better sterio imaging. Mainly because there are NO shared circuits, ground points, or power supplies with mono blocks.

JM

----------------

agreed 100% i have 2 mono's myself and they work great, and i am about 1 month away from a new pre-amp!!!!!!!!! i can't wait

Running two stereo amplifiers is a useful move in the direct radiator (cone) world since their sensitivity is miniscule compared to big ole horns. You are reducing the load to the individual amplifier by running two identical amplifiers in parallel. You might notice a slight increase in headroom on complex musical passages in large rooms or perhaps better definition in low bass.

Monoblocks certainly should sound better. You are paying twice to price not to share some expensive components. In tubes, this is the hefty transformers. Can two low cost tube amplifiers sound as good as one expensive one? I dont know. It may simply be more of the same. After all, the low cost amplifiers also have low cost circuits, wiring, transformers and power supplies.

Dual amplifiers are not the same as bridging the left stereo amplifier WITH the right stereo amplifier in series, but with one for each channel. The effect of true bridging is to double the power (not always needed with big ole horns). I would think that bridging improves the quality of the sound, especially in the power hungry lower and mid-bass regions. But apparently is not the case. Bridging actually reduces the capacity to drive a low impedance load.

Bridging power amplifiers can be done, but you really have to be careful. Usually, a stereo amplifier has a bridging switch to do this. The switch inverts the signal on one channel, and you use the positive (+) speaker binding posts FROM EACH CHANNEL to drive the speaker.

If you have two separate power amplifiers, you have to invert the signal on one channel, connect the grounds together, and use the + post on each amplifier. If the amplifiers are balanced, the negative (-) output is not grounded, so you cannot connect the two amplifiers together. The normal suggestion is not to attempt it with two separate amplifiers. Get either a single power amplifier with higher output, or a stereo amplifier with a bridging switch.

For an inexpensive power amplifier with bridging switch, consider something like a Samson S-1000 which delivers 1000 watts when bridged (http://www.svsubwoofers.com/ampeq_samson_s1000.htm) . It is $459, which is a lot of power for little money.

10.gif

I currently run two McIntosh 275 commemoratives (w/Telsa KT88 matched quads) bridged to mono.

Is there a difference? Hmm, IMHO there is some better soundstage, headroom and a tighter bass BUT since it takes me mor than 5 min. to reconfigure the system a fair and true comparison can't be made and in fact the difference may be all in my head.

So unless you have an extremely large or open environvemet were "power" is a must (has anyone run Klipshs in stacks?) a quality stero will do just great!

- caveat - the above opinion is subjective and permanant tinnitus is a fixed part of my personal listening system 5.gif

----------------

On 2/21/2005 5:46:32 PM j-malotky wrote:

What I have found is running mono amps gives you a lot better separation, resulting in better sterio imaging. Mainly because there are NO shared circuits, ground points, or power supplies with mono blocks.

JM
----------------

In that case, would the ideal be to have dual mono preamps as well?

----------------

On 2/22/2005 12:06:54 PM Colin wrote:

Can two low cost tube amplifiers sound as good as one expensive one? I don’t know. It may simply be more of the same.................................

...................... I would think that bridging improves the quality of the sound, especially in the power hungry lower and mid-bass regions. But apparently is not the case. Bridging actually reduces the capacity to drive a low impedance load.

----------------

I just attempted a low cost bridged set up using two old NAD 2100s. Two 2100s are better than one 2100. Going from one amp to a bridged set resulted in a very noticable boost in bass - sounded like an anvil crashing through the floor (in a good way). Also, there was much more music at lower volumes. Why is that?

In a bridged set up is it better to turn the amp input down and control the volume in the middle range of the preamp or set the amp input to middle range and not be able to past 9 or 10 o'clock on the preamp volume without your ears bleeding?

Andy, as much separation in the circuits the better. In days past, I use to run individual header amps, skipping the header amps in my preamp resulting in better imaging. I know a lot of SACD guys here have been bypassing there preamps, going directly into there amps, using the output volume on the SACD deck.

Sputnik, I would bet your better bass is comming from two factors. One, you have more amplifier wattage headroom than before, and second, the fact that bridging your amp increases your amplifier dampening factor, giving your amp much more control over your speakers.

JM

Seperate mono amps don't have any crosstalk. Many stereo amps use a single power supply to power two amps. Circuitry to limit crosstalk (a little bit of channel A modulates channel B and B modulates A) is expensive and often not included. The result is reduced stereo image stability and clarity. Certain notes and harmonics in complex passages tend to jump around. Without the crosstalk, instruments and their harmonics tend to remain more clearly localized and fixed.

Good stereo amps have dual supplies or well isolated supply channel distribution and crosstalk is not an issue. That isolation adds cost.

Even cheap monoblocks have no crosstalk. Cheap monoblocks probably have other problems, but crosstalk isn't one of them. That leaves the more expensive monoblocks as being worth the effort. I guess in the end, you can know you don't have crosstalk with monoblocks, and can concentrate on other design optimization criteria. With stereo amps, crosstalk is one mor thing you might be concerned about.

Leo

I think many of the NADs are meant to be bridged, which should help the sound -

I ran my Dynaco ST70s as one per channel using the postive and negative posts on each side on my Corns, but don't remember if only one sounded that much worse (still I didn't switch either) but at the ti8me all I cared about was LOUD and deep...

Guest Anonymous

i have 2 nad amps bridged, and they sound night and day better than just one stereo amp running, but my speakers are deff power hungry and have pretty low efficiency compared to klipsch, so that may be why bridged sounds better for me, but i actually plan on having my nads for awhile, i have grown accoustomed to their sound, be that good or bad, but i like it none the less. i am in the process of buying a new pre, but its killing me to make a decision, but i am def going to create a hybrid system with tubes and ss with the NADs and whatever i decided to go with for a pre