Best Rock Speakers??

rankhank

Hello out there-

I would like some constructive help on decideing what speaker model to buy for listening to rock music.

I`m building my dream system within a set budget, so at this point I will buy the speakers first and then decide on which amp/preamp to pickup next year.

My listening room is my main floor of my house which is a post & beam style

aprox. 20 X 50 with 15 foot ceilings. I do have good corners for K horns but I used to have a set of those beasts before I took roots,I would like to buy the next best model down in size.

I`m stearing towards the older model of KLF 30`s or maybe the new Ref. 7 but I also love JM Labs speakers , but its not set in stone at this point.

All feedback would be helpful from your own past, remember the volume of the room.

thanks

With a room that size I'd go with something with a large format compression driver; 1.4 or 2" exit. A 1" driver could run out of gas.

Staying within Klipsch that would mean one of the motion picture speakers from the pro line, such as the ones that use double 15 bassbins for bass and a compression driver on a horn for mids and treble. Like the KPT 904 or KPT 942.

Don't worry, hornys have been using theatre speakers in homes ever since this hobby started. I've used Altec and JBL theatre stuff at home myself, last big horn rig I had used Altec A5 theatre speakers.

Cornwalls, Lascalas or the KLF30s are all great rock speakers as are the Khorns. The 30s are bass monsters while the lascalas could use a sub to really dig deep. I personally like the cornwalls for rock but others may disagree. Plenty of bass kick and a great live, in-your-face sound. I've owned a pair for 25 years.

Some are better than others at jazz and classical but all will do rock extremely well.

The bigger the room, the better horns sound (something to do with reflections and dispersion)!

Don't forget Khorns go tight into the corners, if you are a purist as I am, you would have your speakers three- four feet waay from the walls, to create a deep soundstage and 3D image - that takes up a lot of real estate (but don't beleive me, I love the Khorn sound enough to find any reason to buy them!)

3.gif

KLF 30's do make for a great rock in roll speakers as well as others mentioned. But i've done alot of comparisons over the years with my trusty old chorus II's and they can hang with the best of them IMHO.

When you talk about having corners, the 15 inch passives just love to be stuck in corners and they can easily fill a room of that size.

Good luck in your search.

My vote would be Khorns if the corners are very good. Otherwise my top vote would be to go with a pair of La Scala's. KLF 30's are a great speaker I know I help my nephew buy his. But for shear dynamics, sound pressure, and the ultimate midrange the La Scala's win hands down. Besides I own a set and I love them. I would run a sub with them too just to dig a little deeper.

Do you remember the poster from Maxell showing the guy sitting in his chair. He was tipping backwards, hair blowing and a wild grin on his face. In front of him was just one speaker (non klisch). In other words, He was Blown Away...La Scala's for sure.9.gif

----------------

On 2/22/2005 10:51:49 PM SCOOTERDOG wrote:

Do you remember the poster from Maxell showing the guy sitting in his chair. He was tipping backwards, hair blowing and a wild grin on his face. In front of him was just one speaker (non klisch). In other words, He was Blown Away...La Scala's for sure.
9.gif

----------------

LOL9.gif9.gif9.gif

What Gary said:

"I personally like the cornwalls for rock but others may disagree. Plenty of bass kick and a great live, in-your-face sound. I've owned a pair for 25 years.

Only 12 years of rockin with the Mighty Cornwalls here, but I liked em so much I bought a second pair. 74's and 63's. And I ROCK, I mean, c'mon I was maced at a Led Zeppelin show. You can't rock much more than that unless you've maybe shot up with Slash! LOL

Michael

----------------

On 2/22/2005 11:31:27 PM lipinski wrote:

Forte IIs.............somethin' about the midrange horn, big woofer, and passive radiator... it just rocks.

----------------

I agree. I have mine matched with a B&K AMP and PREAMP for powerful tight bass.

I use my other system for lower level critical listening.

Thanks for all the feedback, as I stated I did own a pair of K-Horns before, but I had to get rid of them when I was living on the road. I think the KLF30`s are my first choice, not to p-off any of the classic speaker fans out there.

I have read somewhere in the form that the quality of the 30`s are not up to snuff???- any feedback on that would be helpful.

thanks again 1.gif

I'll put in a good word for the Fortes. Really sound like live music, and I've always prefered the bass sound of the big passive radiator models rather than the ported or sealed boxes. The Forte's can get REALLY low. Ball jarringly low. :) If I'm not mistaken they are the lowest of the low in the Klipsch line, at least pre-RF series.

They are also considerably smaller than the Cornwall, and IMO more attractive. If those are considerations.