Heresy Horn Out???

SilverSport

I have a set of Heresys from 1978...on 2 channel music when I turn the balance to one side, it sounds a bit hollow or different than the other...is there an easy way to tell if the horn midrange is blown??? I hear sound from both tweeters, both woofers but one side sounds a bit hollow...sorry, I don't know any other way to describe it...canging the speaker wires around (so left becomes right and visa versa) didn't really "fix" the problem...

Any help will be appreciated.

Bill

Can you put your ear right up to the drivers? But that hollow sound seems to point to the mid horn. If you pull the driver out and check everything is connected first - maybe you have a bad solder joint or something.

Is Gil online? Perhaps he he has a better idea about what's going on.

edwinr:

I am trying that but not much help...I will try different CDs to see if I can get a better handle on this...the thing is that it sounds GOOD...I just don't know if the sound I am getting is the woofer and the tweeter doing all the work or that is how the CD was recorded...I had suspected this with other recordings as well...I even tried to listen to the same CD through my other set of Heresys but that is a processor/amp for HT (even though I was using stereo/bypass) and of course, it sounds different but still I can't tell for sure if the Horn is blown or what.

Thanks for any help.

Bill

I've always suggested using the tube from a paper towel roll as an improvised stethoscope. It will make you look very silly, so do this while no one is around.

If you have a receiver where you can produce noise by setting it between stations, that might make the investigation easier. Most test CD's have pink noise and you could use that too.

Gil

I was playing some Beethoven last night, Symphony No. 2, adagio, the left Klipschorn sounded like it was distorting slightly mainly in the right channel. I switched speaker leads and there was some distortion from the other channel but I could still hear it through the right. I listened through headphones and I realised that the distortion I was hearing was in the recording. The headphones could only just highlight the distortion. Through the Klipschorns though, I could hear the distortion as clear as a bell.

edwinr, Gil:

All right...I am now listening to some Coldplay-A Rush Of Blood To The Head...The Scientist and Clockers...it sounds GREAT...I can SEE the woofers vibrating and I can hear sound...both tweeters sound as they should...I get no feeling of vibration from either Horn midrange (K-55V) but with this CD, I can hear good sound from both sides and not that same hollow sound...the CD I was listening to was Liz Phair...perhaps that is not up to the quality of recording the Coldplay is or perhaps this is just as it is intended and certain instruments and vocal characteristics are DESIGNED to go to each speaker...

Thanks for your help!

Bill

Okay, edwinr, Gil, everyone...I gave the paper towel horn a try...it does not seem like I am getting any sound out of the K-55V on one speaker...the woofer and tweeter do such a fine job that I only suspected this on some music but listening to me 2nd set of Heresys and then trying these back again, I believe the horn is out...what is the next step...they look perfect, do I need to buy something for them, or buy all new horns??? Yiikes!

They have the greay crinkle finish magnet/covers on the back with Klipsch K-55V stamped in purple on them and appear to be metal horns...Alnico??? How much should I expect to pay for the horns...Do I have (should) to buy them in pairs?

Thanks,

Bill

On a good number of heresys, the wires connect via a spring opening rather than solder.

I have seen cases where the wire was pushed in too far only a little metal touching then vibrating enough so that the wire moves and dis-engages or moves from vibration to a completely shielded portion.

A second thought is loosening away from the Crossover.

Try switching leads from your Amplifier and see if the problem moves. If so it can be a quirk of the amplifier.

There should be red on one side of the mid-range- a 1/4" or so brush stroke of red.

Some of the mid drivers were made by Atlas - model PD-4V and the spring loaded wire inserts run front to back. Those had Alnico magnets, 16 ohm drivers.

Hope this helps,

dodger

----------------

On 2/28/2005 12:48:45 AM ricktate wrote:

Andy says those mid drivers are tough so i would check every wire..screw..connection first. Rick

----------------

With that I would strongly agree.

I have one that came from Hopr - the Atlas with alnico magnet.

Part of one of my alarm systems. Figure I'll deafen them.3.gif

I've had it close to 30 years. Not a problem at all.

dodger

That makes me feel MUCH better! Since I am the 3rd owner of these speakers and the fact that they are from 1978 as well as they have been jostled about the last few months, going from house to house and room to room...I shall check EVERYTHING before parting with the green.

Thanks! 16.gif9.gif

This place is great...Thanks everyone!

Bill

I am such an IDIOT! Instead of taking a deep breath and going over everything that could be causing my "blown horn" I just declared BLOWN HORN...today I am a bit calmer...I took the back off the offending speaker and luckier than I deserve to be a horn connection had come loose!

Right now I am CRANKING Liz Phair and then that self same Coldplay but my speakers are 100%...unbelieveable for speakers that were made in 1978...when I was thinking of Junior Prom! (...and I HATE to think about that!... ;-)

Anyway thanks to everyone here: dodger, Bob Crites(BEC,), edwinr, Gil, ricktate and Rdmarsiii (hope I didn't leave anyone out) for all the alternatives to what the problem might REALLY be...

Horn Out??? Heresy I say! It was just operator error, I apologize to all of you and to Klipsch for doubting.

Bill