Pseudo-review of myram's Academy

erdric

I hope that I don't steal any of Myram's thunder for any Academy review that he might post but I had to share my experience.

I drove up to Maine yesterday to buy the KV-3 that Myram was selling. While I was there we were talking about his new Academy and how good it was.

On your mark, get set....DEMO!!

In went Super Speedway.

Down dropped my jaw.

The Academy really is all that everyone says it is. It was like there was another Quartet between the front two. Absolutely seamless and with power. It had no problem whatsoever keeping up with the mains. In the scenes where the car goes under the overpasses the sound was SOLID and DEEP from wall to wall, there was no indication that the sound was coming from three speakers. Dialogue and music was crystal clear above the roar of the engines.

I don't have room for an Academy in my setup and I think that's a good thing given the current Ebay prices. If I had the room I would have bought the KV as a temporary solution and gone on a mission to get an Academy. The KV will be very good with my KG-4's but now I'm forever spoiled. I shouldn't have let Myram demo that damn center!!

Good God Klipsch, why did you stop making them?

Thanks to Myram for the KV and enjoy that Academy you lucky dog!

------------------

Primary System:

Main KG-4

Center KV-3

Rear RS-3

Yamaha HTR-5250

Sony DVP-S560D

Panasonic PV-9664

Sony DBS system

Studio:

Main KG-3

Sony STR-AV920

Pioneer PD-4351

I second the rave reviews on the Academy. I have had mine for a few weeks now and I can't believe the difference it has made. I don't notice the center channel at all now, as my front soundstage is nearly seamless. Athough my setup will never be perfect, the Academy with my Chorus I's was a step in the right direction.

Speed

------------------

Klipsch Chorus I Mains

Klipsch Academy Center

Klipsch Heresy I Surrounds

Mitsubishi WS-55807 55" HDTV

Playstation 2 for games/DVD

LOL......well I'm glad you enjoyed your trip to Maine. I wasn't going to make you drive all the way up here and then not demo my system for you.

That was the first time I have really put the power to my system since upgrading to the Denon 4800 and the Academy and it was great. The front stage is incredible now.....you can't even tell where the speakers are. I had the 4800's volume at 00 and it was just blowing us away, and I still had another 18 to go. I am really glad I got ahold of an Academy and made the modifications to the entertainment center to make it fit. My next addition will be the POA-5200 for the fronts, then add in a rear center and that will be it....LOL.

Super Speedway is a great demo disk for anyone who wants to get true all around surround sound. The cars passing, and going under overpasses is just mind blowing. I can't wait to pick up a few other movies and try it out....Saving Private Ryan DTS, U571, and a few others come to mind.

Hey erdric.....hows the KV3 working for you? Did you hook it up and demo it?

Steve

------------------

Home Theater System:

Klipsch Quartets - fronts

Klipsch Academy - center

Klipsch KG.5's - rear surrounds

Klipsch KSW12 subwoofer

Denon AVR-4800

Denon POA-5200 THX Amp (soon to be added)

Sony C-67ES CD Player

JVC 36D201 36" TV

JVC HR-S3600 SVHS Player

JVC XV-M565BK DVD Player

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2100 Digital Cable box

Playstation 2

Monster Power HTS-2000

MIT Speaker Cable

RS HT Gold Interconnects

Monster S-Video and Component Cables

This message has been edited by myram on 08-20-2001 at 02:55 PM

I haven't had a chance to make the modifications to my stand so the speaker won't fit into the enclosure at the moment. I hope to make the changes tonight.

I can't decide whether or not to get the DD version of Super Speedway or wait for the DTS version that comes out on Sept. 18th. I find it hard to believe that the DTS will be better than the DD. That was amazing. I may not be able to wait that long to demo it in my system.

>>My next addition will be the POA-5200 for the fronts, then add in a rear center and that will be it....LOL.<<

Yeah, right. You know you don't mean that.

Thanks again Steve.

------------------

Primary System:

Main KG-4

Center KV-3

Rear RS-3

Yamaha HTR-5250

Sony DVP-S560D

Panasonic PV-9664

Sony DBS system

Studio:

Main KG-3

Sony STR-AV920

Pioneer PD-4351

LOL.....I know.....it is a never ending addiction and obsession to keep upgrading over and over again.

I would like to get a pair of KSP-S6 , but finding a deal on them is harder then finding a deal on an Academy. So RS-3's might be a better choice for me, but then again I would like to find a couple of pair of KG 1's and go to 7.1 sound.

You'll have to let us know how the KV3 works out for you.....and you'll also have to pick up Super Speedway to really demo your system. I'll be looking for the DTS version in a few weeks....that would be a good comparison between DD and DTS.

Talk to you later.....

Steve

------------------

Home Theater System:

Klipsch Quartets - fronts

Klipsch Academy - center

Klipsch KG.5's - rear surrounds

Klipsch KSW12 subwoofer

Denon AVR-4800

Denon POA-5200 THX Amp (soon to be added)

Sony C-67ES CD Player

JVC 36D201 36" TV

JVC HR-S3600 SVHS Player

JVC XV-M565BK DVD Player

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2100 Digital Cable box

Playstation 2

Monster Power HTS-2000

MIT Speaker Cable

RS HT Gold Interconnects

Monster S-Video and Component Cables

Well, I finally got my TV stand modified and put the KV-3 in. I've only had a chance to calibrate and then do a couple of demos with The Matrix.

First impressions.

YES!!!

I ran the receivers test tones and immediately noticed that the KV is much closer in timbre to the KG-4's than the SC-1 is. Not perfect but very close. My RS-3's sound close in timbre as well, at least to my ears, so now I have a complete set of very closely matched speakers.

The Matrix. I use this DVD because I'm extremely familiar with how it sounds with a variety of different speakers. I typically use Neo/Morpheus fight, Girl in the red dress (dialogue), and from the lobby shootout to the helicopter crash.

The SC-1 always did what I thought was a decent but not perfect job. The sound was there and the panning was smooth but there was a drop off in authority while the SC-1 was the transitioning the sound back and forth across the soundstage. Sounds that were coming from the left and right speakers always seemed too detached from the TV (BTW, my speakers are relatively close to the set). It's not detached anymore! The sound coming from the KV is more robust, deeper and authorative. It "pulls" the front speakers together in ways that the SC-1 is just not capable of. Samuel L. Jackson's voice finally sounds right.

Anyway, I picked up Super Speedway and I plan to scare the hell out of my wife with it tonightcwm2.gif

Now that the center channel is upgraded I can move on to the next thing on the list: SVS 20-39PC.

------------------

Primary System:

Main KG-4

Center KV-3

Rear RS-3

Yamaha HTR-5250

Sony DVP-S560D

Panasonic PV-9664

Sony DBS system

Studio:

Main KG-3

Sony STR-AV920

Pioneer PD-4351

This message has been edited by erdric on 08-22-2001 at 03:00 PM

If you are looking for an excellent demo disk, try "U-571". It has a tremendous amount of "SLAM"... I mean "SLAM" factor. It's excellent in DD and DTS... could not tell much difference between the two. Did I say "SLAM"?

------------------

RF-3's : mains

RC-3 : center

RS-3's : surrounds

KSW-12: subwoofer

Receiver: Denon 2801

DVD: Panasonic DVD-A120

CD: Yamaha CDC-765

Cables: Tributaries

Sat Receiver: Hughes Direct-TV DD5.1

-------------------------

Family room:

RB-5's (Mahogony)

Receiver: Denon AVR-2000 (2ch.)

CD Player: old Sony (vintage 1986 - needs replaced)

"Did I say "SLAM"?" Yes, and SLAM is an understatement! When ever I watch it at night, it always causes the front & back motion sensor lights on the far end of my house to come on. Wonder what my neighbors think? "That single guys doing the strobe light thing again". I also enjoy the effects on the Highlander EndGame DVD, DD AC-3(5.1EX).