could I make "mini lascalas" using 10" drivers?

Binkstir

Thanks TPG, You must have read my mind when you mentioned the subs. I was envisioning a sub system (maybe amplified) in it's own box built seamlessly below the "mini lascalas". Basically a lascala on top of a box. I did a search on the forums and found some of the plans you mentioned. However if I go ahead with this project, I'll have some questions regarding other driver selections and crossovers. I love woodworking and have the tools, so this could be a fun project for me.

I've never owned a pair of lascalas, but I've been wanting a pair ever since my brother and I heard them in a hi-fi audio store when were teenagers.

A miniturized La Scala bass horn and an Altec 811B with 902-8B driver would be a sweet combo. The 811B will be well proportioned in comparison with the bass horn. The upper end of the La Scala bass horn is 900 to 1000 Hz and the 902/811B will comfortably go down to 800 Hz with an 18 dB/octave crossover slope. The 902/811B should go all the way up to 20k like the 902/511B.

Otherwise, I'd buy a pair of beat up Heresies and use the K-700/K-55 squawker (700 Hz) and K-77 tweeter. You might be able to use the crossover if your woofer has a high enough DCR (Re).

The La Scala bass horn is sized for a cut-off frequency of 70 Hz and goes lower only because of the size of the woofer. Expect yours to go down to 105 Hz, or so.

Talk to Eminence and tell them what you want to do. They know the Klipsch bass horns well and might be able to suggest a better driver. The customer service folks are very nice.

I'm not trying to discourage you by any means. But . . .

There may be a hidden issue. You're going to wind up with a bass horn with an Fc of about 90 Hz. Nothing wrong with that of course.

But, we have to look at why the LS, Belle's and K-Horns perform better than predicted in theory in real rooms. It is not just having a corner as an extension, but that is part of it.

Rather, a typical room provides a lot of boost at the lowest frequencies where those bass horns are rolling off. That boost comes on at about 60 Hz or so and ususally gets better as frequency goes down. Of course it depends on the room and its size.

In my thought, scaled down horns don't scale in performance because the room is not scaled. You need boost at 90 Hz and it just not there.

I suspect this is why smaller horns were not more popular.

OTOH, it is nobel project and may well give you good results as compaired to anything else. Bruce Edgar made small tractrix bass horns with reported good results by him and builders. We see one fellow with scaled down K-Horns posting photos.

None the less, I do believe the room and scaling is an issue.

Best,

Gil

Ok, all this input is good. William, back to what you were saying.... I think what you were getting at is that I'm not going to have the deep bass. ( sorry guys, I don't understand the hertz stuff ) total newb. What if i built a sub to cover the lower tones and placed it below the horns I'm describing? My living room is probably about 400 square feet, but due the the back door and the fireplace and windows......Well, Im trying to build a pair that are really punchy but no wider than 16 inches each. BUT, I CAN go UP. So if they are 4 feet tall that is OK.

Thanks John, for the tips on the tweeters and mids.

Hello,

Just for fun and a little mischief I built a 1/2 scale LeScalla. I posted the info and photos on on the forum (I believe it was the "modification" forum). You will lack the lower "bass" output with a smaller size but could and would have something useable. I would think that with your width limitation but no height problems that you could build at least a 75% to 80% sized LaScalla by distorting the base bin into a 16" by 24" profile with the 24" vertical (90 degree rotation from the norm). The low freq sound in not directional (or at least lesser so) and the rotation should not be a major problem. This idea would possibly allow you to up to a 12" driver.

I am currently woking up a little project to try this basic idea out with an LB76 varient I am planning. This could be done with a 10" or 12" woofer. The mid and tweeter would be from a Heresy and I would would use a 10" or 12" "single" wedge bass horn. May also build it as two bass drivers with opposite looking bass horns and the mid & tweeter in the middle. This would be a "low" height and "long" profile speaker that would serve as an all horn center under a widescreen TV. Would give up some at lowest base but would horn load all the audio range of most center channel output in a 5.1 or higher theater system. Something to do in the shop to keep busy!

Bert

Let me give you my thoughts. I know the La Scalla looks cool and I would like to build them someday too. In fact, if I hadn't built my khorns years ago I would be running them. Let me tell you what probably is a better way to go. Get a high efficiency 12inch driver that is in the 95-98 db efficient and run it into a ported or sealed enclosure. Mate it to the Audix HM17 99.6db efficient midrange driver (if they're still available) and get a high efficient tweeter to match. You will get a fairly small footprint, easy built, great efficiency, and great sound. You will have to get a subwoofer to reinforce the bottom end though. What I'm suggesting is a Heresey like speaker with subwoofer for bottom end. I would like to know if anyone has listened to the Audix midrange driver I'm talking about. I have one in my khorns and love it although at very high levels it does sound strained but perhaps that's my ears at 120 db! The sound is very neutral (so neutral in fact that the enclose behind it isn't even needed. Proabaly non of the disadvantages of a horn midrange. I haven't personally listened to a horn midrange for exteneded periods to know for sure but I can't imagine anything sounding better. Speakerlab used this speaker in their later khorn replica's in the mid 80's.

I had some homebuilt 4.5 cubic foot speakers built from a 12inch alnico fullrange driver with whizzer cone and a dome Radio Shack tweeter and it sounded wonderful with my 25watt/channel reciever. I could rattle my pant leg 10ft away! I had a guy do the Theile parameters in the early 80's at college and he told me how to build the box. Proabably went down to the low 30'shz range with around 95db efficient. I wish I still had them! 100watt per channel amp would be great with them!