My Wall of Sound

thebes

Well thanks to getting a little carried away and with a little help from my

Klipsch friends my basement wall of sound seems to keep growing.

wallofsound.jpg

The big dark thing at the bottom of the pic is a Grundig console complete with magic tuning eye. Sitting on top is a Scott 299 redone by Craig, a TT, and next to it a Knight tube integrated stereo receiver.

Behind the Scott is a Setton SS, in the middle sitting under a changer is a Panasonic SS and next to it is a Fisher 500c. On the top shelf at left we have a Pioneer SS, followed by a Marantzz SS and a SansuiSS with a NEC SS sitting on top of it.

Many of these were reviewed by me several months ago in the attached thread.

I do have two questions relating to this conglomeration. One how do I improve the layout of the shelving, it's starting to sag badly in the middle. Two, that Knight tube amp, while in good shape, almost makes Klipsch speakers sound bad, a thing that I didn't think it was possible to do. However, it has 4 ECC82/6BMP mullards that test like new. Anything I could use them for? Could they be rolled into the Scott? etc. etc.

http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=52591&forumID=68&catID=19&search=1&searchstring=&sessionID={1AB4FF77-24D3-48EB-9E99-01656C3BC53C}

post-14801-13819262101612_thumb.jpg

Do you heat your home with that setup?

Re your shelving. Nice idea using ledger boards attached to the wall studs. Now just remove the equipment or brace the shelf up and install a similar 1x2 across the front and in the middle. Glue and SCREW it together from the top with countersunk flat head screws. (so you don't see screw heads). Let glue set completely before replacing equipment. Should sturdy it up real nicely. If your shelf board has become permanently warped, replace before installing the supports.

Michael

Thanks Colter, yup the power company loves me. Another question to add to the list. Is their a reasonably priced (translation-cheap) gizmo I could hook all these amp/receiver to along with the single set of speakers? Everytime I want to listen to a different amp I have to pull off all the wires/interconnects etc. and hook everything back up.

No Mac gear Craig, just a lot of everything else. Can I roll the ECC82's into the Scott? Can't remember if you did the tube-rolling thing when you rebuilt her.

You have a sharp eye Sputnik. That is indeed the 2015, Marantz's smallest receiver of that era. I call it the baby Marantz. This is my basement stuff, so I run it with my KG 3.5's. Very nice, suprisingly warm for SS and great detail and a decent sized soundstage.

I spent 5 minutes looking for the scott and wondering when you picked up a pair of lascalas and a mac amp. Finally I scrolled down.7.gif

Good advice already given if you're set on keeping that shelving. You could move the console elsewhere and give yourself more room to work.

As far as switch gizmos go, you won't find anything cheap that'll work well. A Niles switchbox runs about $90 but would allow you to run 2 amps into 1 set of speakers. Radio shack has switchboxes for about $10. You could try one but they're made of cheap plastic and may not yield good results.

BTW - I like the looks of your plexi-cabinet on the scott.

nice wall, the first pic had me really confused!

turn the board around, so the hump faces up, it might not sag at all after that, other wise simply add supporting joists across the bottom...

I agree, change the particle board to plywood and add a bottom brace across the front, glued and screwed. You should be fine. Nice rack of equipment! I have switch box of good quality for switching sources and amps, it was purchased at a ht store. You might be able to find something to switch your speakers there.

----------------

On 2/28/2005 9:43:20 PM thebes wrote:

No Mac gear Craig, just a lot of everything else. Can I roll the ECC82's into the Scott? Can't remember if you did the tube-rolling thing when you rebuilt her.

----------------

The ECC82 is the 12AU7 the Scott uses 12AX7's which translated across the pond to ECC83.

----------------

On 2/28/2005 9:23:16 PM thebes wrote:

Thanks Colter, yup the power company loves me. Another question to add to the list. Is their a reasonably priced (translation-cheap) gizmo I could hook all these amp/receiver to along with the single set of speakers? Everytime I want to listen to a different amp I have to pull off all the wires/interconnects etc. and hook everything back up.

----------------

Radioshack sells a speaker selector switch, but if you run it backwards you can turn it into an amp selector switch. It only lets one set of the A,B,C, and D through so you won't have to worry about two amps driving the same speaker ever (even if you depress two buttons at once). I think it costs maybe $20. They have another fancier version that does the same thing, but comes with a remote...I'm not sure if the wiring is exactly the same though (when i went to the store, they let me open it up to make sure). All you would have to do is hook the amps into the A,B,C,D slots and then hook your speakers up to the source slot.

Thanks for all the advice guys.

CaptnBob that is the Setton you are referring to. Not much info on the net about it but some think it's basically a rebranded Pioneer. I had it gone over and it sounds quite good with a nice wide soundstage.

Mdeenen, that's a great idea for shelving, and the other suggestions should also do the trick.

Originally I grabbed up most of the SS stuff cheap, to fill up that space rather than pay for framing on a couple of pcitures. I figured I would have something I could look at and swap out for a different sound from time to time. Of course, since then things have grown.

Hey while I am at it, what's your feel for those old Knights, junk or are there any gems.