Altec model 19 almost home

Dylanl

I will have the 1978 Altec model 19s home on Friday night. I will be drinibg to VA from PA. I will be able to make a good comparison to my Khorns with my current set up. If anyone cares or is interested I will post my thoughts A vs. B.

Neato, yeah, tell us all about it. I hope they look as nice as the ones in pic. It would be sweet to see you land some in nice shape.

Now Tony, there is nothing to be anxious about. They are sure to sound pretty good, and Dylan may even come back and say they sound better than his ALK loaded Klipschorns -- at which point we will know he is a liar, and we can hurl abusive insults at him! I'm anticipating great fun!9.gif

----------------

On 3/2/2005 6:10:03 PM Dylanl wrote:

I will have the 1978 Altec model 19s home on Friday night. I will be drinibg to VA from PA. I will be able to make a good comparison to my Khorns with my current set up. If anyone cares or is interested I will post my thoughts A vs. B.

----------------

Absolutely!!

Would also love to A/B with my CW bass bins and 511b/902-16a combo. (in a dark room 15.gif )They look wonderful!

Terry

I am getting them for 1200.00. Basicly a swap for the RF7S that I had. I am a ham for vintage horns. I know some will think I am crazy, but O well. All in all they are not a steal, but a good price for the condition. I think the mid range should be superior but the bass is what I am worried about if anything. I will let you know soon enogh. Klipsch Horn loaded bass is tough to compete with.

Slammin'----You might consider going over to Altec woofers as well. Sometimes I think the Altec "magic" is as much in how well the woofers, be they 414s, 816s or 515s, reproduce upper bass and midrange as in how well the compression drivers and horns do.

----------------

On 3/3/2005 1:17:24 AM TBrennan wrote:

Slammin'----You might consider going over to Altec woofers as well. Sometimes I think the Altec "magic" is as much in how well the woofers, be they 414s, 816s or 515s, reproduce upper bass and midrange as in how well the compression drivers and horns do.

----------------

Tommy, Been keeping my eyes open for a pair....$$$!!

Terry

I heard a pair before and was not overly impressed, granted the room and the positions that they were in were not optimal.

They guy was playing the opening notes from the Titanic Soundtrack and the really low notes were not even audible on the 19's. The HF section sounded articulate and nice though. I think the Cornwalls have better bass response but that is based on the 19's that I heard in a less than stellar setting.

I love the way they look and those look pristine, I am interested to hear what you think once you get them and set them up.