K-500 versus K-400 Horns

raypenn

I have a pair of Belle's built around 1971.

I always assumed they had the K-400 horns that I have read about on this forum - I didn't know any better until I looked today.

The horns are actually K-500.

Does anybody know the differences between the K-400 and K-500, and when the production change was made?

Thanks.

There was never any change. The Belles always had the K-500.

The K-400 is about 20 inches long. Then you screw on a driver, take some additional distance for the mouth of the horn being fitted to the back of the front baffle, and you're up to near 24 inches.

It (K-400) fits well in the K-Horn and the LaScala. The bass bin of the LS is based on a cube two feet on any side. Probably because of the dimensions of a 4 x 8 sheet of plywood.

In any event, the Belle (Named for his first wife) is a morphed LS. It is wider but about 18 inches deep. The K-400 could never have fitted.

The K-500 is just a junior version of the K-400. You can find info in articles I've posted in the Technical Questions. Search word is "article".

There was one comment by PWK indicating that K-500 was built first. Then he made the K-400.

Best,

Gil

I suppose that if one didn't mind the K400 hanging out the back of the Belle, there's enough room for it in the width of the Belle HF.

If the 260's are the horns I think I saw at Tony's house, Bob, you'll have to get a bigger camera to get them in the picture!

I don't know the math on the logarithmic scale but since 400-800 Hz would be approximately one octave, the difference between 400 and 500 Hz would be approx 1/3 octave or FOUR of the TWELVE half- muscial steps- a whopping THREE NOTES. Makes no big difference, so put the one in that your cabinet will contain.

Also, IMO, so long as the xover point is lower than the critical normal singing voice, you won't notice any difference. You don't want two drivers delivering the human voice, it screws with the sound big time. (from my old PA days setting up tri-amped systems)

Michael- I know some scientist man musician will counter all this, but let's just look at the original post and the practical application. I really could care lesswhich note 500 Hz is....