Rope Caulk Results

J.4knee

OK I just roped caulked my squawkers in my La Scalas, 720 ft (8 boxes) between the two. First impression is the mids are smoother yet more defined. Everything seems to integrate just a little better. Now granted the changes are subtle but noticeable. I did the ring the horns thing before and after and yeah they are pretty well damped now. It will take some getting used to, I listened to the un-caulked for 21 years, they are still snappy on snares but not as edgy. I think I am going to like this. Has anyone ever done the tweeters? Somehow the tweeters sound a little clearer, could be a placebo affect not sure about that yet. After I have some serious listening under my belt Ill write more.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have also done the tweeters but the gain is less. It does help in a small ways. I think the more you listen the more you will start to like the Rope caulk vs. no caulk. I really noticed a difference when I bought a second pair of Khorns which had no caulk. It was like I was going back in time. Very quickly I realized that I could not wait to caulk the new ones. Now the majic is back. I did however feel much like you when I first made the change. Believe me it will grow on you give it a week or so.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1386305

You can get it anywhere like Home Depot, Lowes, Ace or any hardware store where they sell weather stripping. It is and remains pliable like clay or putty. Does a pretty good job. Dynamat is another option but rope caulk is probably the cheapest mod you can do. Thing is you only do it to metal horns. Plastic horns are not as susceptible to ringing as metal horns are. The ringing is a resonance that can cause cancellations and standing waves that make your horns sound a little edgy. The rope caulk cancels or damps out the resonation/ringing of the horns and thus improves and smooths out the sound of your horns.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Forgot what I was going to write which is kind of OT but since I am listening with a somewhat critical ear I wanted to comment on the improvement of the quality and quantity of the bass my La Scala's produce since I switched to the ALK's. Over the past couple months I have noticed a slow gradual growth in the sound of the bass being reproduced by my La Scalas. They still do not go below about 40 HZ still but the bass seems a little more pronounced compared to the AL networks. It is almost like adding a bass boost if you will and it seems to have a little more slam and presence than it used to. After reading Daddy Dees comments on the ES networks (thanks Daddy Dee just what I needed another thing to spend money on). I think I would one day like to try them but for now my ALK As are doing a splendid job.

An inexpensive alternative is available.Go to your local RV dealer and buy a couple of 25' rolls of butyl rubber caulking.I have caulked the midhorns in my Khorns and am very pleased with the result.

The midrange is smoother and tighter and the upper bass has improved immensely.An inexpensive and very effective tweak.

----------------

On 3/6/2005 3:47:03 PM BEC wrote:

----------------

On 3/6/2005 2:37:11 AM johnyholiday wrote:

take the bugg screens out

----------------

What do you think of the bug screen in this tweeter I bought on eBa

Is that a spider web? I'll bet the tweeter isn't "voiced" for that.

The actual diaphram is a dome, facing outward, so the center of it is slightly closer to your ear than the fringes. The phase plug 'slows down' the center waves so the waves coming from the edges can 'catch up' before exiting the throat into the main body of the horn. All waves are now in phase, hence the term phase plug. Altec had a really cool one in the 70's called the Tangerine, because it was quite large and resembled a slightly opened tangerine.

Michael

----------------

On 3/6/2005 11:50:06 PM djk wrote:

That's the phase plug, it has no bug screen.

----------------

Dennis,

I was trying to point out the spider web bug screen in that tweeter in the picture.

Bob

As for bug-screens; some users of high-performance compression drivers such as Altecs and JBLs favor pulling the screens because they think it will improve the highs. I've used both Altecs and JBLs both with and without screens and IME it makes no difference.

Now with the Klipsch mid drivers which are not called upon to reproduce highs pulling the screens is even less likely to have an audible effect.

Years back when I did the tractrix horn mod to my Cornwalls I pulled the screen on one of the Atlas mid drivers and compared it to the one with the screen, there was no audible difference.

Note that if you live in a part of the country like Illinois where the farmers use Asian beetles you should NEVER pull the screens. Those beetles squirm right through window and door seals and may get into your drivers. A friend was considering pulling the screens on his JBL 2420s until he noticed a couple of Asian beetles crawling right up his Edgar saladbowls, needless to say he left the screens in place.