Russian Mullards?

fini

I have a set, purchased from Paul at Bizzy B: http://www.2baudio.com/

I'm no tube expert, but Paul is and he says these are virtual copies of the original Mullards. I can say with certainty that they sound very different than the Electro Harmonix and Dutch Amperex EL34's I have. These provide a very resolved, tight sound. A little bright for me with this particular amp, but I only have a few hours on them so far. My opinion might change with more listening.

----------------

On 3/7/2005 2:18:34 PM KCM wrote:

I have a set, purchased from Paul at Bizzy B:

I'm no tube expert, but Paul is and he says these are virtual copies of the original Mullards. I can say with certainty that they sound very different than the Electro Harmonix and Dutch Amperex EL34's I have. These provide a very resolved, tight sound. A little bright for me with this particular amp, but I only have a few hours on them so far. My opinion might change with more listening.

----------------

Practically all the eastern bloc tubes are copies to some degree, at least with dedicated audio tubes.

The meaningful differences are the quality and purity of metals used, and possibly more so, the hardness of vacuum. The originals were treated to a rock hard vacuum (very time consuming) seldom seen today with anyone's tubes.

There is more to the tube's quality than meets the eye.

Many of today's "imported" varieties may sound wonderful and I don't doubt that, I own many, but the quality of construction will never come close to the OE American, Dutch, German and English products of yesteryear.

from what I have been told by a tube dealer the Mullard reissues are nothing special at all basically they are a existing already made EL34 that they added the Mullard logos too. I believe he told me they were Svetlana's or something. So his deduction was that you pay a extra $50 or more to get a tube that says "Mullard"

Now the new reissue of the Tungsol 6550 is a completely new tube not sold under any other name. The glass envelop was custom made to copy the original Tungsol as was the inner construction. I had a set here not long ago and they are nice tubes but still didn't impress me anymore then the Valve Art KT88's that I already use. More of a side ways move in tone.

Craig