Did I overdo it?

Guest weak knee willy

Guest weak knee willy

Hey guys - Former lurker here and just joined the forum and now I'm looking for some advice.

I am in the midst of setting up my theater in a room at my house that measures approximately 14(w)x20(d). I have a pair of Rf-3's that I decided to use as rear surrounds and just ordered Rf-5's and Rc-7 for the front mains and center channel. (nice deal from my dealer, too!)

Is this speaker arrangement going to be too much for a room of that size? The wife wasn't psyched that I changed my mind and am using the RF-3's as surrounds, she wanted the hanging on the wall thingys. Did I do the right thing here? I wanted an upgrade from the RF-3's for my mains ---

That's not a tiny listening room by any means. Good balanced system by my reckoning. Just show her a photo of Cornwalls and your RF5's will look miniscule. That system should rock pretty well and give good balance for movies. I abhor the RS series, much prefer the full range all round sound.

How bout a sub?

Michael

Guest weak knee willy

LOL Michael - She knows about size!

I used to own Heresys, sold them and bought a pair of LaScalas Brand new in 1986 - sold them because of all the complaints from her about their size. Regrets, I have a few as I sold them way too cheap and bought the RF-3's. What I disapointment! Even she complained - she didn't know what we had when we had those La Scalas...but time to move on.

The sub is next on the list, any suggestions?

----------------

On 3/7/2005 10:51:06 AM weak knee willy wrote:

I am in the midst of setting up my theater in a room at my house that measures approximately 14(w)x20(d). I have a pair of Rf-3's that I decided to use as rear surrounds and just ordered Rf-5's and Rc-7 for the front mains and center channel. (nice deal from my dealer, too!)

----------------

No, you did not over-do it!

Case in point:

I have RF-7s with RC-7 up front. In the rear, I have a pair of RF-5s as surrounds in addition to a second RC-7 (in a 6.1 config). On top of that, I have a pair of RS-7s up on the wall as a the 'B' surrounds.

This is all crammed in with a 55-inch widescreen TV as well as a REL Storm III for the sub.

And this is all in a 14 x 15 foot room.

So, no, you did not over-do it 10.gif

Cool Pix Orolin,

I got close to a foghorn (modern one- not like the photo) and the warning tag said something to the effect of Instant Hearing Damage- warning 150 dB. That would be intense!

Michael

do y'all really think our gentle reader really needs the flagship RSW15 for his modest home theatre? I should think a 12 should do it unless he's really into the bang-bang shootem up school. just my .02

I have ksw12 and it's undersized for my Corns, but with 5x 15" pumping away, it shakes the room plenty for me.

"my theater in a room at my house that measures approximately 14(w)x20(d)"

Go with the RSW15, its not over kill. Three of them in that room might be overkill. That is not a knock the RSW15 at all being underpowered, its IMHO awesome. For subs its better to over gun then over drive it. Its better to drive it on ave at 30% then at 85% (higher means too much distortion) and wish you had got something bigger. That was where I was at with my last Velodyne FSR 12. RSW15 is great at surround sound movies/DVD concerts and 2 channel music.

Guest weak knee willy

----------------

On 3/8/2005 6:27:11 PM colterphoto1 wrote:

do y'all really think our gentle reader really needs the flagship RSW15 for his modest home theatre?

----------------

Have I just been insulted? Sounds a little patronizing to me. Sorry I wasted your time. This can't be the way all new guys get treated around here, is it?

----------------

On 3/8/2005 8:14:03 PM weak knee willy wrote:

----------------

On 3/8/2005 6:27:11 PM colterphoto1 wrote:

do y'all really think our gentle reader really needs the flagship RSW15 for his modest home theatre?

----------------

Have I just been insulted?

No, you have not.

He's giving you advice that perhaps the RSW12 is enough; what's wrong with that?

I have a Hsu STF-3 (12 inch) in a 11'x30' room and I feel it's enough with La Scala's. So there you go.

Colterphoto does not mean any disrespect when he was talking about your HT. He's actually looking out for you in that he wouldn't want a fellow forum friend to spend big bucks on an RSW-15 just because people told you to. You would be very happy with the RSW-12, especially if its been awhile since you've had a sub. But I like all the other comments in this post and you can never have enough power. Better to drive them at 30% on the RSW-15 then at 90% on the 12.

Colterphoto is a great member here in the forum. He didn't mean any insult at all. Don't sweat it! 9.gif