Black Grill Cloth Update

Budman

just received my #17 black grill cloth from Ralph at duracrest. it is an exact match to the grill cloth i bought from klipsch 5 years ago. Ralph will send it to you and you have 30 days to pay for it. $17.95 a yd up to 6 yds and 15.00 for 7 or more yds. don't know how much for shipping because he hasn't sent me an invoice yet. he doesn't have a website but he is close to chicago. said they supplied klipsch for 20 plus years. 708-344-4900

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 3/10/2005 6:22:09 PM Hardhead wrote:

On 3/10/2005 6:14:00 PM Thumpelstiltskin wrote:

Help a dummy out......how much does it take to make a pair of Cornwall grills?

Only one yard if you're careful and don't make any mistakes: the cloth is 54" wide.

----------------

the cloth is not 54 wide it is 74 inches wide. 1 yd should do it

----------------

On 3/10/2005 6:08:57 PM yaffstone wrote:

Do you know if they have original cane as well?

----------------

he said no one makes the original cane anymore. wendell fabrics has some that is close and it is plastic coated. i will be ordering from them next week.

3M77 is great but you might want the hot gun for mounting your logo plate.

btw, was there REALLY any actual CANE grilles made? My 63's are 'cane' but upon examination, its just a beige thread in the fabric. I'm talking about the woven, natural cane material like seat chairs. I don't think what we're calling CANE was ever cane at all. I'm trying to be stylish, yet somewhat historically accurate in my new grille selection.

Michael

----------------

On 3/11/2005 2:41:15 PM colterphoto1 wrote:

btw, was there REALLY any actual CANE grilles made? My 63's are 'cane' but upon examination, its just a beige thread in the fabric. I'm talking about the woven, natural cane material like seat chairs. I don't think what we're calling CANE was ever cane at all. I'm trying to be stylish, yet somewhat historically accurate in my new grille selection.

Michael

----------------

Michael, my center Vert. actually has Cane in the grill. The Cane has broken in a couple of places, and part of the grill is faded. Therefore, instead of cutting out the grill, I plan on just mounting a black fabric grill on top of it (to preserve the original one underneath).

As you know (in another thread), we have been trying to date mine based on the drivers, etc. since it is missing serial numbers. Initially some thought 1962 or so, but now I'm not sure. To that end, I am pulling the rear again this weekend. Hopefully, with some luck (and pics) we can figure out what year mine is. But, yes, I have the natural type cane material on the front of mine.

Carl.

• Klipsch Employees

----------------

On 3/11/2005 3:19:04 PM cjgeraci wrote:

----------------

On 3/11/2005 2:41:15 PM colterphoto1 wrote:

Michael

----------------

Michael, my center Vert. actually has Cane in the grill. The Cane has broken in a couple of places, and part of the grill is faded. Therefore, instead of cutting out the grill, I plan on just mounting a black fabric grill on top of it (to preserve the original one underneath).

As you know (in another thread), we have been trying to date mine based on the drivers, etc. since it is missing serial numbers. Initially some thought 1962 or so, but now I'm not sure. To that end, I am pulling the rear again this weekend. Hopefully, with some luck (and pics) we can figure out what year mine is. But, yes, I have the natural type cane material on the front of mine.

Carl.

----------------

Carl,

if you will give me the s/n I will look it up and give you the date and first dealer.

Trey, I appreciate the help. The problem is that on the Cornwall II/Klipsch badge (paper) on the back, the place where the serial number is usually filled in (like my other Klipsch) is blank. I guess either it faded or was removed or washed out or ????? I picked this center up at that infamous estate find (the collective haul of the decade) for a fair price (considering its condition) so the issue of a missing s/n was not a big deal. However, its nice to know for curiousity sake and/or for historical sake in here. The only specific dating-related info I know of is that it was paired with a 1962 K-horn (that Sheltie Dave now has), but that, in and of itself, does not mean anything - really.

Are there any s/n numbers on the crossover that would clue me in? Any other identifying numbers inside the cabinet?

Alternatively, this weekend I was going to describe the appearance of all the different drivers (including a Jensen), note the crossover type and post pics of the inside and outside.

Carl.

"etc. since it is missing serial numbers. "

Trey, so him giving you the serial numbers are not likely.

Carl, do you have the Jensen P15LL woofer? It has a silver frame, would be marked K33J on the magnet back and the P15LL would be on the back edge of the rim, inked in black?

Do your K77 tweeters have chromed horns (even from the back you can tell)

Can Trey tell by s/n on any of the components or the crossover design? There is a massive difference between my 63 and 74 crossovers.

Darn, now I may have the 4th or 5th oldest pair? How are all these antiques coming to light all of a sudden?!?!?!

Michael

"Carl, do you have the Jensen P15LL woofer? It has a silver frame, would be marked K33J on the magnet back and the P15LL would be on the back edge of the rim, inked in black?"

Yes, from my recollection. It has a silver frame and marked K33J. I am not sure about the P15LL marking but will check tonight.

"Do your K77 tweeters have chromed horns (even from the back you can tell)."

Yes. However, they do not have the screw on connections (instead - soldered). This is what threw me off the other day.

We should be able to tell once I post the crossover type and some pics.

Carl.