Academy (and idiot) on Ebay!!

Please excuse me while I rant.....

I just found an Academy on Ebay for $400 BIN. Checked my bank account and had plenty.....WOO HOO!!! That took about two minutes.......Got back to Ebay and some idiot had placed the $200 opening bid and the $400 buy it now price is gone!!!! What the H*** was this guy thinking???!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=94906&item=5760093353&rd=1'>AARRRGGGHHH!!!

What is *really* funny is when someone ends up killing a BIN by putting the first bid on an item with no reserve and then getting into a bidding war with someone else and end up buying it for more then the original BIN price.

Not to swift.... but since I had it happen on one of my auctions I guess I can't complain too much. ;)

Shawn

Most likely a "sniper". They do that in the hopes that they can snipe the item for less than the BIN. Unfortunately for that guy, and YOU, but good for the seller the Academy will most likely go up towards $600 or more.15.gif

Budman, I take that as his lack of full knowledge of the English language.

Rick

----------------

On 3/11/2005 9:59:37 PM Budman wrote:

email the seller and tell him you want to give him the 400. won't hurt to ask. did you notice it says a pair of speakers

----------------

I e-mailed the seller before whining here....no reply yet. I noticed the ad said "pair" and figured it's probably just a "list similar item" error.

Yea, I saw this before any bids were placed. The real "idiots" are the ones who put a BIN without a reserve and with a starting bid of $1. Now THAT's thickheaded. This seller also says that S&H is $38 but also states "actual shipping charges." Seller also says AS-IS but says nothing about whether it is working. If that really IS a pair, I blew it by not taking it (them). OR the seller thinks that by seeing two drivers, it is a pair. That auction is crap shoot.

Um, actually, I think I'm the guy who BOUGHT this item. Like you guys, I saw the listing this morning AFTER he had pulled the BIN. Per my standard practice, I asked him if he had a BIN (unbeknownst to the fact that he actually had one, and pulled it).

Long story short, I told him I'd be tempted at $450 when he replied with no BIN, although he countered at $50 higher within a few minutes, and we settled on a deal. Hell, the last one on e-Bay went for $600-something, so I figured $450-$500 was fair.

Hope I'm not getting screwed...sorry if I messed things up for any of the rest of you guys.

Thumpl... just in case you are watching that auction, my reserve really isn't $675. It might be close, but it is less than that.

Not to sound rude, but I figure I'm in a win/win. I can try to sell them for a good price, or I can keep them and enjoy them. Heck, I've already wired the basement HT for them (wires up to a 8' location in the wall so I could build a ledge for them and have a plug nearby)

Best time to sell something is when you don't need to.

1.gif

----------------

On 3/13/2005 7:18:07 PM Coytee wrote:

Thumpl... just in case you are watching that auction, my reserve really isn't $675. It might be close, but it is less than that.

Not to sound rude, but I figure I'm in a win/win. I can try to sell them for a good price, or I can keep them and enjoy them. Heck, I've already wired the basement HT for them (wires up to a 8' location in the wall so I could build a ledge for them and have a plug nearby)

Best time to sell something is when you don't need to.

1.gif

----------------

Coytee,

The 14.gif comment was not meant for you. I'm just expressing my feelings about buying (or trying to buy) things on Ebay. This deal was typical of my experiences....at least now I know why the guy wouldn't sell it to me for $400. Good luck with yours.