A trip to GaryMD's house

rplace

So after I score my klipschorns last Saturday GaryMD (who helped me with the whole process) invites me over to his pad to listen to his Khorns and hear what vinyl sounds like on good equipment. My 67 year old dad is tagging along for the ride as he is visiting for the weekend on his way to Florida for a few weeks. Well I had no idea what a treat I was in for.

My vinyl days ended in the 1986 when I bought a CD player and fell in love with the convenience of the silver disc. My life long collection quickly went the way of a used record store to finance (hardly) some of those same albums bought back on CD. Never gave this much thought except once in a while I wished I had some of those old LPs for arts sake. Up to that point in my life I had always had big box store quality components and speakers. By the time I got my first set of Klipsch speakers and separate equipment my records were long gone. So never really got that cool mix of great source material on great equipment, that all changed last Saturday.

I was blown away by the sound. First out of the gate was The Beatles, Here Comes the Sun. About 20 seconds into the song when it really starts to take off I had to open my eyes and look for the center channel between Garys two Khorns. It had to be there even though I could not see it. NOPE just the two giants in the corner. Seriously, I got up and looked for another speaker. Next thing that hit me was the placement of the individual instruments. Not just drums here and guitars therebut I could pick out different pieces of the drum kit a little to the left or back/forward of each other. I heard things it that song I had never heard before and would guess I have heard that song at least 1000 times. Jazz, Big Band and a few other types of music followed each one an incredible treat for my ears. It seamed like I could hear the air traveling through a saxophone or vocal cords actually vibrating. I honestly think if I had been by myself in that room I would have cried. It was an unbelievable experience.

My dad and I talked about it like excited little kids all the way home. I tried to explain it to my wife and mom when we got back home. But there was no way I could. Surely I am not doing it justice as I type this so I will quit trying and just thank Gary.

Thanks Gary! It was a blast.

I understand what you are saying about looking for the center speaker. Before Eric stopped over I realized that he wanted to hear a pair of Klipschorn's in two channel.

I toggled to preamp to two channel mode and started listening, I sat in my usual spot and it sounded like the La Scala was playing I had to get up and actually put my ear up to it to see if it was playing. Strangely, not a sound! They literally project an image at the center point where the sound does not seem to be emanating from the Klipschorns in the corner but rather dead center in front of you.

I was amazed by this since all of my listening is with all 7 speakers playing at the same time so I do not get the opportunity to see what a single pair is capable of. Pretty amazing.

I can only imagine how incredible it must have sounded with Gary's setup he has an incredible system in there, that rig can certainly bring the absolute best out of vinyl. I would really like to hear a nice tube setup someday. I have yet to do so.

Rich,

Thanks for that extremely kind write-up. I've been working very hard over the past year to get everything in place and trying to make the most of what those magnificent speakers are capable of, just like all the other khorn owners here. I just need to work on the room next and open up that sweet spot a bit.

For those who haven't met Rich, he's typical of so many of the great folks I've met from the forum. Just a really great guy who I'd love to hang out with ANY time. He and his dad are as nice as they come and I'm glad the khorns worked out. They look GREAT cleaned up! I was floored when I saw the pics!

I had a lot of fun spending time with the 2 of you and I hope we can do it again soon. Next time under a little less stress (if you know what I mean2.gif).

Sorry it took so long to post but Boomac and I just got back from LA where we spent an AMAZING 4 days with Allan. More to come on that tomorrow (jet lag kicking in and 3 nights of VERY little sleep). Pirhana even hooked up with us last night. Let's just say it was a time I won't soon forget.

Again, congrats on the khorns Rich and I hope to see your finished theater sometime soon.

Gary and his wife are terrific and generous folks. Gary's system offers the best of Forum values: FREE K-horns to a good home, NOSvalved tube amps, Blueberry special pre and Gary's own research led him to his present TT for a system that is one of the best in town. When that basement gets opened up, those K-horns will finally have some room to breathe.

I thoroughly agree on Gary's systems -- his "upstairs" Cornwalls reproduce jazz extraordinarily well, and his beautifully synergistic "downstairs" K-horns, BB/Cream, NOSvalves MkIIIs and vinyl setup do extremely well on all kinds of music. His legendary generosity and hospitality are great icing on the cake.

I'll claim a little credit for his vinyl choices: in our classical listening, he became familiar with my Basis TT and Transfiguration cartridge, and how my new Vector tonearm thoroughly walked all over the highly regarded Graham 2.2 it replaced. So, he got a good used Vector on Audiogon and great help from contacts in locating a mint used Basis TT and demo Trans Temper cart. The many members' comments speak for themselves.

Larry

For those of us who have experienced the very phenomenon you speak of, Horns on great amplification and great source components + vinyl all you would have needed to say was DUUUUUUDE!!! Your description was excellent. I know the giddy little schoolgirl feeling very well.