Do you Equalize.....Be honest!

Elydaman

Most off my equipment is set flat. I'm not against using EQ, I just usually don't. There is so much difference between CDs and LPs that I leave it alone. The brain quickly adjusts...

Marvel

hell yes! I use my tone controls WHENEVER I feel the urge...and set them back to flat when I change albums...

anyone here who has taken the time to audition and select amps, cables, tubes, ANY component, has added permanent EQ to their systems...

so embrace adjustable EQ too...

tony

I EQ to taste with cables and wires. I know there's a bit of controversy surrounding expensive wires vs. zip cord and the like but IMO, both have an effect on the signal. Up to a point, I agree that there's no discernable difference - its simple electricity after all and most folks couldn't tell the difference or express a preference without a control system as reference.

I think the benefit of wires and cables is that they can contour a component or speaker to the room and help integrate it with the system. Its subtle to be sure and folks are certainly able to come to their own conclusions but then again, some folks can't appreciate the difference between Bose 301s and Khorns and even if they can hear a difference, they couldn't justify the extra $. Speakers are speakers, after all. 2.gif

Just an opinion, Bryan

Well said Tony.

I also use a couple of different types of EQ in my system.

First I have parametric EQs working below 250hz to target the resonant frequencies in my room to reduce the amount of time those frequencies 'ring' for. These are always active.

I then have an SPL dependent (processors knows the SPL at the listening position all the time) Loudness control which automatically adjusts for the SPL at the listening position to keep the bass balanced sounding at low levels without getting boomy at higher levels. This is pretty much always turned on too.

Lastly I have the typical treble and bass controls as well as a spectral tilt function. These are used as required for different recordings.

Shawn

----------------

On 3/19/2005 1:20:29 PM JBryan wrote:

I EQ to taste with cables and wires. I know there's a bit of controversy surrounding expensive wires vs. zip cord and the like but IMO, both have an effect on the signal.

This reminds me of a quote an old McIntosh engineer (Roger Russel) told people, that the purpose of speaker wire isnt to adjust the sound properties, but just get the electricity from one end to the other unaltered by RF.

you can read about it here..