ALK Heresy Crossover

Olorin

There is an "E" Type ALK for the Hersey, I made a set that DeanG wound up with. It is the same ALK network designed for the Cornwall but with a different value swamping resistor. The Cornwall network uses a 5.6 0hm 10W and the Hersey network uses a 4.7 ohm 10W.

You are talking about a very expensive crossover for a $400 set of speakers. Bob crites can will sell you a set of caps to rebuild your E's pretyy reasonably. If you like, you can add a solen inductor for about $20 ea. There is also a mod to lower the squaker and use a 16 ohn resistor to make up teh difference.

Chris

Tiger, I'm aware of the relative costs of Heresys and crossover mods. I'd DIY whatever I decide to do, and that's why I asked after a schematic. If the schematic is not freely available it's really not a big deal -- I'll just replace my original caps with some Kimbers or Auricaps or something. The ALK question is as much about satisfying curiosity and knowing what options are available as anything else.

Jorjen, thanks for the info. I thought there wasn't much difference there, and thanks for elaborating on just what the difference is.

Olorin,

you have PM and email. I checked after I emailed you. The package is still available on Al's site. Go to www.alkeng.com scroll down the left frame to the klipsch icon, then scroll down to the download section, then down to the "B" network download. It's the whole package in a .zip file. BTW, the Cornwall B becomes the Heresy E with one minor part change, which is detailed on the plan.

The schematic is still on the ALK site.

http://www.alkeng.com/dload_xo.html

I had previously thought that this crossover might be overkill, but since doing a host of mods to my Heresys, I may well build them myself. Mine have made a fairly good leap forwards in terms of sound quality. Before the mods and while still owning La Scalas, I dismissed the little Heresys somewhat as being mediocre. But now, with a good, equalized sub, they are probably worth the cost of ALKs in terms of investment in sound. I will never sell them, so resale doesnt factor in. And I cant think of another, compact, high efficiency, dynamic speaker for the $700 Id have in them so.....

Ive used Solens and air core inductors, which definately improved things BTW.

Keep us posted if you build them.

taylor

Me, fast? Just don't tell my wife.

I did see that about the taps. I infer that has to do with the difference between the K-33 and the K-22? I haven't sat down yet to really study the ALK vs. the stock Type B vs. the stock Type E. It makes sense, though, that when you start crossing the Corwall at 700+ you've gotten yourself really close to a Heresy crossover.

It's another one of things that is obvious after you know the answer. :-/

As for the actual build, I figure when I get my Heresy collection large enough I'll be able to A/B the ALK vs. just replacing the aged components with new equivalents. That ought to help me make up my mind, which otherwise seems to have a hard time sitting still.

Thanks again.

O

Hey taylor,

I just reread your post. Sorry I missed replying to you the first time around. You like the Solens? I think I'm going to start by replacing the existing caps with some Kimbers and see where that gets me. That looks to be a good bang/buck proposition, and the ALK schematic is intimidating, frankly. I should start with baby steps. 1.gif Aside from the crossovers, how else have you modded your Heresys?

What you said about the sub caught my eye. See my post "I think I've been had" in General -- seems we agree on that point.

O

Hi Olorin,

You can check out this post for pics and a discription.

http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=61828&forumID=71&catID=19&search=1&searchstring=&sessionID={D26EA750-6258-4566-BDFC-E868B97E4256}

Basically, I damped the cabinets, ran a brace between the side panels and mounted the drivers on the front of the baffle. The damping has really tamed the overly "live" (read PA) sound. The bass and midbass is far more articulate and tight. And the imaging, which I never considered Heresys having, has improved greatly. Allowing the horn flares to radiate out as designed,and from a flat baffle (no wood trim and grill protrusions) really has changed the quality of sound. The HF is now airy, and the mids arent as hot.

And the sub...well, its now manditory IMHO.

Cheers, taylor

Olorin,

This is a set of ALK's I made for some Cornwall's I refurbed. The ones I made for the Heresy's were identical except I used Solen's in the Heresy's and AudioCap PPT Thetas in the Corn's. Just for something different. I later built a set of "A" Type ALK's for my Khorns and used the Solen's. Something always bothered me about the top end. Kind of grungy, edgy, just not clean. After trying many different things to correct this with no luck, I finally thought I would try replacing the Solen's with Hovland's and guess what....problem solved. Some might say that the Solen's are good enough, I don't buy it, at least not in the top end anyway.IMHO.

post-9114-13819263465218_thumb.jpg