Carver CD player

j krause

I have an older Carver cd player. model TL3300,, Its approx. 14/15 years old, works good.. NOW my question is how do these older cd players compare to the newer units. What do you gain or loose? Is it worth investing in a newer model unit.. When I purchased this Carver tl3300, it was the top of the line in its time.. I currently have a NAD DVD/CD combo player, and I (hear) the Carver as sounding more clearer. I paid $699.00 for this NAD unit.. HOW ABOUT SOME FEEDBACK!!!

Would you happen to have some pics available? Does your Carver have the 1 bit DAC (it should be advertised on the front below the control buttons).

I can't remember the model name, but there is a Carver CD player that I've heard that has the absolutly best sound that I've ever heard from a cd player. We use it both the studios that I have access to and I can't begin to describe the positive differences in this player. I wouldn't doubt that it sounds better than your NAD.

Aside from that, dedicated cd players tend to sound cleaner than dvd/cd combo units. I don't know the reason, but it seems the trend in both what I hear, and the comments from others all over the place.

Btw, how are you connecting the units to your reciever? VIA digital or analog connections? You might notice an improvement with the digital connection so it's worth a try.

"Btw, how are you connecting the units to your reciever? VIA digital or analog connections? You might notice an improvement with the digital connection so it's worth a try."

----------------

DID THEY EVEN HAVE THE OPTICAL CAPABILITIES 15 YEARS AGO????

just wandering10.gif Joe

I still have a TL3100 I'm using in my study at home. It works fine even though the remote gave up. I keep it around because it will play CD-R's just fine. The sound, however isn't up to snuff with my McIntosh MVP841 (CD,DVD, Video-CD) player. It's not listed on the machine as having 1 bit DAC anywhere but I did see on the net somewhere that someone listed a whole bunch of parts that could be swapped out to better the sound.

Bought it about 1988.

Maybe I'm thinking of a different unit...Once I'm feeling better I'll swing by and check out the actual model number.

Yes, they have had digital connections for a while now...DAT decks come standard with both optical and digital coax. ADAT is an 8 channel format that has had digital connections for a long time as well (basically recording 8 channels onto a VHS).

From what I can see on the front face plate, this is digital/audio, 18bit 8 times oversampling with the carver digital time lens? I have this hooked up to the CD RCA hook ups on the back of my receiver. I also have a multi disc DENON DCM-320 CD player, good unit but the carver does seem to sound more true.

----------------

On 3/20/2005 9:32:44 PM mike stehr wrote:

I liked my SA 490/T so much I wore it out.

----------------

The 490T was a much better class player than the other Carver players. The 490T has a tube output stage, making a smoother silky analog type sound. It was designed to be matched to bob carvers C15 tube pre amp and siver 7 mono tube amps.

As for the time lens series, they were a middle of the road player in thier day. Not great, but not horrid either. There are MANY players today that out spec and IMHO have a broader, deeper more detail sound stage than the older players.

The best judge of how it compairs or sounds with todays players in your system is YOU. If you like it, then it does. that simple.