Into the deep with headphones

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, Paul... talk about a classic. I think there were a ton of good points made in that thread, and on the whole revealed your complete lack of reason. There was a considerable amount of BS, but when it came down to reasonable discourse, you really had nothing. There was plenty of empirical and anecdotal evidence to support various preferences, and the best support you could offer for your position was advertisements!!?

Just pathetic. I'm honestly surprised that you linked that discussion. It really doesn't make you look too smart.

For the unitiatied, look to page 15 and beyond. Lil birdy falls on his beak pretty well from there on out. Neo is a train wreck as always, too, when it comes to reasonable discussion of these things.

----------------

On 5/28/2005 10:15:03 PM Parrot wrote:

Won't you admit to missing the old 112dB days with your McIntosh amps, when you could make it seem like a pipe organ was in your room.

----------------

Not really. So I'm down to 90dB now...at least my ears won't go numb in my miniscule room like before. Now if I had your cathedral-sized room...bring on the big Macs and my horns for some good ol' 115dB fun!9.gif

----------------

On 5/28/2005 8:35:59 AM Erik Mandaville wrote:

Hiding? From what?

The thread just sort of exhausted itself.....for me, anyway.

Nah, I'm here.

Erik

----------------

Hey, Eric. Just kidding, man. I liked your thread. I enjoy your posts as well. Keep 'em coming. 1.gif

Hi, Jim:

Thanks for the information on your brother's subwoofers. They sound like they are very good! We do have somewhat of a 'space issue,' and I'm making an effort to keep things as unobtrusive as possible -- although with two Klipschorns, a La Scala, Lowthers, and Heresies, the word 'unobtrusive' seems sort of out of place. When my wife Marie first saw this, she mumbled "...oh my God..." and there I was grinning from ear-to-ear in my new listening chair (an outdoor garden chair we found at Target!). What can I say but that it supports a healing broken back well! :)

I think you have a good point regarding subwoofers. There is excellent performance available, where large amounts of space aren't needed. Several other forum members have emailed me about using subs with Klipschorns, as well. Paul also emailed some thoughts and possibilities regarding more dedicated surround sound, and it was helpful to me. It's just still very new territory for me.

I'm considering a couple of different subwoofer possibilities, and a DIY project does sound like it would be fun. I just need to see how things go, and right now the $$$$ factor is coming into play. We may need to wait for a bit.

Erik

----------------

On 5/28/2005 11:34:34 PM neo33 wrote:

That was an amazing thread wasn't it, Paul?

----------------

Had a lot of good content in it, for sure, and with well over 12,000 hits now.

The thread would probably still be running if it hadn't been shut down.

"The thread would probably still be running if it hadn't been shut down."

Perhaps I can convince Amy/Trey to reopen that thread for your pleasure, Paul. 12.gif.

It had been almost a year since the thread was closed. I was a litte disappointed that the last post was not fini. For that, Trey should reopen the thread.

----------------

On 5/26/2005 5:47:24 PM Allan Songer wrote:

Did I say there was anything wrong with enjoying dumb-*** cop shows starring second-rate actresses?

Plus, "Crossing Jordan" is a VERY good customer of mine!

----------------

That's the thing with being open minded. No offense taken.

There may be shows all three of us either agree or disagree.

I state it, I like her looks.

Nothing wrong with eye candy.

----------------

On 5/27/2005 6:12:40 AM Erik Mandaville wrote:

Sure. We've had them on the shorter wall for the past 8 months, or so. The problem with having them on the longer wall was that they had peaky bass response in that position. I think if the floor were solid (as in concrete)it would be much better, but our listening room is upstairs with a suspended wooden floor.

----------------

My listening room floor is constructed of a concrete slab with double brick walls. Room dimensions are 5.5 metres by 6 metres. A bit small for the Klipschorn. I still get that slight boom in the bass you're talking about on both the long and short walls. Some music featuring the (acoustic)double bass suffers from that boom or peak. I guess any loudspeaker, like the Klispchorn, which is essentially full range, is going to present room interaction problems in smaller listening areas. But only in the bass area.

In relation to the higher frequencies, the Klipschorn probably fairs better than most other speakers in the market. The fact that the horns are highly directional would suggest that there would be less room reverberation problems in the mid/treble region.

Over prominent bass is the type of problem that is more difficult to deal with. I reckon an over prominent treble is easier, subjectively to deal with - a little damping, some wall hangings etc., will make a difference. That's why speakers offering less bass extension, like the Heresy and the LaScala may be more successful in smaller rooms.

I'm trying to imagine more than two Klipschorns would sound like in a room. It's been suggested to me that having Klipschorns as rears as well as mains would be problematic. Would more than a pair of Klipschorns load the room incorrectly? I think it would. These doubts prompted me to sell my older Klipschorns rather than keep them as well as the new pair (when I order them).

I've endured a period of experimantation with multi channel/home theatre that was less than enjoyable. I had a mish mash of componentary, subwoofers, receivers, and everything else that could open and shut. I had no reference point for my music reproduction. I can understand why one would resort to using headphones as a reference point (not that this is the reason you started this thread).

My solution. A complete clean out. I sold up big and spent the money on renovations. Now I'm back. Starting with two channel. I'll work up from there. I'm looking at all sorts of stuff. I've even had several listening experiments with SET!

Another option I'm considering, is the new LaScala. If this speaker is matched with a high quality subwoofer, like the RSW15, would this be a better option than a Klipschorn in a less than ideal room? At least with a subwoofer, the quantity and extension of the bass can be dialled in. There is also the facility to adjust the phase characteristics.

Just some thoughts.

Happy experimenting, Eric. 4.gif