Michael Fremer and Stereophools

artto

In the October 2004 issue of Stereophool, Analog Corner, Micheal Fremer writes in the closing paragraph:

Please pardon my tone..I am frustrated. When I bring neighbors and friends over to hear my audio system and these are not audiophiles but general readership people they inevitably say the same thing, which is, My God. Ive never heard anything like that! Its wonderful. I didnt know music could sound like that!

Excuse me? This is the definition of high quality sound reproduction, I never heard anything like that? Kind of makes me wonder. Thats not what people say when they come over to my place. At my place they say things like It sounds so real. Its like youre really there. They start describing the musicians and the music. On live recordings they describe the space and sense of place the performance took place in.

All of us have heard live music. And all of us hear all sorts of live sounds everyday. Show me a person who doesnt know what live sounds sound like and Ill show you a deaf person. Seems that Michael Fremers friends and neighbors are definitely not deaf, but Michael Fremer obviously is!

----------------

On 3/25/2005 11:12:01 AM Frzninvt wrote:

Sounds like a pompous *** to me!

----------------

9.gif one with a large enough ego to insult a large part of his general readership people.

Kinda explains why Bo$e Acumess sells so well...

on the other hand mr. fremer is the guy fighting with the "technology editor" over at the wall street journal who claims that anyone who buys anything but an Ipod and an all-in-one stereo from sony is wasting his money...fremer is not all bad...tony

Well, I already hated the mag as populist drivel, and Fremer is just one more reason to.

I cannot really believe that a professional writer would be so incapable of maintaining a civil demeanor in communications with others. Extremely unprofessional, unacceptable and unforgivable.

Truly, what an ***! ... very unworthy of my time (as I expected).

DM2.gif

I think Mikey is a good writer. I just get tired of his snide little lefty comments. I'm sure he knows what live, acoustic music sounds like, though--which is not like PA speakers sound!

Stereophile "populist"? I dunno...the last issue had a 20k pair of speakers, a 30k pair of speakers, a 9k CD player, etc, etc.