What browser do you use?

m00n

Suprising to see so may firefox users. After seeing so many firefox posts last night I decided to download it and give it a try...

Whats the the big whoop? Only thing I could see that it had over IE was the tabs. Downloaded the new Netscape beta as well. A little more glitz and bling bling.

IE 6 myself.

IEv6 (as many sites do not display/function well with Firefox - ie Yahoo email! no rich text!)

Firefox for the sites that are not IE dependent (despite plugins). I prefer Firefox, if for no other reason then IE's brain dead bookmark (favorites) file management and the inability to print out the urls of the links!

And Safari...and the day is moving closer to moving back to the Mac as a single platform that offers full UNIX native compatibility (as that is where I normally live), as well as offereing Windows compatibility both from a file reading perspective to concurrently running Windows on the machine when I am feeling like a crash test dummy.

I sure wish IBM would more quickly address the heat issue with the G5 and get that sucker - or the new cell technology ;-) into a Powerbook!

Like many Mac users, I'd love to use Firefox over Safari--it's faster and less buggy--except for three important Safari featuers: first-rate autofill for online forms; really excellent, hassle-free adblocking; and excellent bookmarks management. Somewhere along the line, though, the original Safari lost much of its speed, and must be tweaked and played with in most un-Mac like fashion. Sigh.

m00n,

On a technical level, Firefox and Mozilla adhere more strictly to HTML standards. In other words, you can write sloppier code and still have it work on IE.

Firefox doesn't use any activeX controls, so you rcomputer is far safer with it.

You can download a plugin for FF that will allow the use of activeX controls if you want to. Maybe for those sites that require their use.

I can do weeks of browsing with no spyware on my PC, and I haven't had a Windows box be a crash test machine for years. No more than OSX anyway. 16.gif

Marvel

----------------

On 3/31/2005 4:41:08 PM Marvel wrote:

m00n,

On a technical level, Firefox and Mozilla adhere more strictly to HTML standards. In other words, you can write sloppier code and still have it work on IE.

Marvel

----------------

Yes, I know. Microsoft does add some Microsoftisms into their browsers and yes, you can write sloppy html.

Up until about halfway through the replies here, I was using IE6. I tried loading Fx, install failed, went to the doc, came back, did some work, remembered the Fx thing, and tried loading again. Just got it up and running, been on it maybe 5 minutes, no huge difference so far, though I do like how when you reply to a message here, the original message appears outside your reply box automatically.

Ok, something I didn't notice 30 seconds ago... when I hit the reply button in IE, it always opened in a new window. Fx doesn't, so when I do my reply, I still have only one window open, the one with the full thread showing. Is there an adjustment to make a left click on the reply button cause it to open in a new window, or do I have to right click it?

----------------

On 3/31/2005 6:36:49 PM Champagne taste beer budget wrote:

I do like how when you reply to a message here, the original message appears outside your reply box automatically.

----------------

Champagne taste beer budget, I could be mistake, but I don't think that is necessarly an IE, Mozilla thing, I suspect that is something programmed into the application. Now, rather or not IE can implement the feature is another question.

That could be, all I know is that the way my IE was configured, it wasn't there, and when I started with the Fx, it did it all by itself. I like it.

On second thought, as I was about to hit submit, I do recall seeing that button up there labeled "Show/Hide" the topic you are replying to. I tried it once with IE and it showed it, but never tried it again. Apparently, it just defaults to that in the FX software.

GGRRRrrrrrrr.... My first problem with Fx.

I was out to lunch today with the Mayor (well, actually I was out to lunch, he just happened to come in and sit down next to me, ordered the special and a Hienekin) asked him about the sign ordinances as we are thinking of doing some new signage. He said they were available online, and sure enough, they are, in pdf, finally found the ones I was looking for, pages 165-173, tried to print them, and got an "Unable To Print" message after I'd specified the pages to print in the print pop-up. What do I need to change in Fx to let me print a pdf out of it?

HEY MAXXX!!!! I could sure use that beer now!!!