NEW Khorns 1962? PICTURE

joetubeman

Don't rush the veneer job. The opportunity is before you to have a very special set of Klipsch speakers. A little patience now will give you a much better result in the end, and the higher finish quality will be appreciated long after the time waiting is forgotten.

Greg

Guys,

I just got home from work to read all your great comments. Thanks for all your help. This is really a great community place and I REALLY appreciate the outpouring of knowledge. It is pretty dark in the garage now, but I took a flash light and looked for the stamp in the location that Trey indicated. I just do not see anything. I'll take a better look tomorrow during the day. The interesting thing is the sticker's on the squaker horn's have the word "date" printed, but there in no date marked! It is not faded, it looks like it was never marked. What does that mean? The reason that I assumed that they were 62 is the guy I bought them from said that he bought them new in 62 in Galveston, TX. I guess that he could have bought a pair that had been setting around for a year? With regards to the veneering. I have done a fair amount of this type of work but never on such a large scale. I was planning on emailing Greg928 and Jorgen once I get to that point. If anyone on the forum has a K-33J they want to sell, Please contact me. I too like the look of the exposed horns, but the raw wood is not to my liking. I want to veneer them to make them work for both me and my wife. Khorn 58, are you suggesting that this might not be a good idea as far as retaining its collectable value? Would it be better if I left the finish alone?

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I made a little more progress this morning. I spent about an hour removing all those staples and remaining cloth from one of the cabinets. This was a real pain. I had to get a blade under each and every one of the staples to lift the edge up enough so I could then pull them out. Of course I left all sorts of marks on the surface and my hand HURTS. This pretty much settles it for me. They will have to be veneered to make them presentable. No sign of a stamp on the cabinets. I'll open the access door and take a look around. Once again thanks for the help.

Thanks Trey,

I failed to mention that the serial numbers that I first mentioned,1732,1733, came from the original registration cards the first owner gave me and never sent in.The serial numbers for the mid horns are,1928 and 1931, "BY" PG. I assume that PG is the person that made the horn's?

I finally found the stamped serial numbers. I took the top portion off the bass bins in preparation for the veneer and hidden underneath on top of the tail was the stamp. I have to leave the project for the next week because of business. I'll report back once I continue. This will give me time to consider what veneer I want to use. I'm thinking walnut but am open to suggestions. I really like the more exotic types, but I'll have to weigh out the cost. In the meantime, please vote for you favorite veneer. You guy's have been most helpful.

My business plans changes slightly so I had some time to do a bit more work. I removed the woofer that was giving me trouble. As you can see bugs have eaten part of the surround so I'll have to get a new cone. I'll look at the other one soon.

A few questions:

1. I lightly pushed down on the cone- no movement. If this was a good woofer it would move, correct?

2.The baffle that the woofer was attached to had black tacky material on it to seal it air tight. Do I need to source new material or use the old stuff when I assemble the woofer once repaired?

3. Is finding a new cone with the paper pleated surround going to be next to impossible?

----------------

On 4/1/2005 3:36:12 PM joetubeman wrote:

This will give me time to consider what veneer I want to use. I'm thinking walnut but am open to suggestions. I really like the more exotic types, but I'll have to weigh out the cost. In the meantime, please vote for you favorite veneer. You guy's have been most helpful.

----------------

Typically I would suggest ribbon striped sapele or figured anigre or some such semi exotic. This is a special project tho, so I would suggest going with one of the factory options of the time.

I'll offer my .o2 on the subject of keeping speakers original vs. altering the finish.

Given the fact that these old Klipsch speakers are not selling for very much money, and as collectibles, they are attractive only to a very select group of people, most of whom cannot or would not spend big money on them, I say phoohey on the idea that you have to keep them original.

I say upgrade them aesthetically much the same way we all upgrade our old electronics and speakers performance wise. Do it tastefully and with the highest quality you can afford.

Then sit back and enjoy them for what they are, vintage speakers that have been given a new life.

I intend to do this with my Shorthorns.

Greg

Guest Anonymous

Joetubeman ,Your woofers can be reconed here is a link were I send mine http://www.theloudspeakerstore.com/ ..talk to Paul Johnston he is the owner and has lot of knowledge of Klipsch drivers (he owns pair of 57 Khorns) .I sent him a pair of K33E and he rebuilt them to factory specs and now is working on a pair of K33M for me ..by the way you have a real nice pair of KHORNS 2.gif regards Tony C

Guest Anonymous

A complete rebuild $75 per woofer,they are rebuilt and tested to factory specs..well worth it cause you keep the original basket frame and square magnet..regards Tony C

Personally, I'm thinking Teak for my 5 Cornwalls and 2 Heresies. It's warmer than Walnut, darker than oak, not as busy as Zebrawood, and with cane grills, will go very well with my knotty pine paneling in my 1955 Hearth Room.

Note that some veneer types are terribly expensive and some raise very noxious dust during the sanding process.

Greg928- thanks for your comments, basically that was the Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval I needed. So long as a veneer/makeover/mod project is done tastefully and doesn't take away from the classic Klipsch sound, I agree- make em however makes you happy!

Michael