Belle vs Cornwall

franczyk

----------------

On 4/3/2005 8:00:29 PM Budman wrote:

----------------

On 4/3/2005 6:59:17 PM garymd wrote:

I must admit however, the Belle may be the 2nd prettiest of the Heritage line next to a nicely veneered "B" style Khorn.

----------------

I must admit however, the Khorn may be the 2nd prettiest of the Heritage line next to a nicely veneered set of Belles, and yours Rich are the prettiest i ever seen

----------------

LOL! I went back and forth between those two statements before settling on the Khorns. It's really a toss-up. They're both beautiful speakers and I've seen some Khorns nicer than Belles and vice-versa. A pair of Khorns with Belle center and rears would be the ultimate in both looks and performance IMO.

I had both belles and cornwalls. I sold the cornwalls even though they had more in-your face bass. I like the high and mid-range of the belles better. Replace the original caps in the x-overs for great sound. Even better, look into one of the newer x-over designs.

I'm sure you'll be happy either way though. They're both great speakers! This choice should be the worst problem any of us ever has.2.gif

Thanks for all the suggestions... There has been a lot of good discussion on this thread.

I think, tbough that I am going to look for a set of Cornwalls... Since I listen to a lot of modern hard rock and rap, I dont think the Belles will satisfy me, though I think they look pretty good for a large speaker. If I had corners, I would get Khorns. Who knows, maybe somehow I could get away with the corners I have... Maybe I should upload some photos of my corners here and see if anyone has any ideas of how I could get away with a pair of khorns. :-)

I'd just go with the cornwalls. If you listen to rap, I think you'll be much happier with the bass slam. Also, if you have doubts about your corners, chances are the corns will work better for you anyway. If you move or decide you can fit Khorns down the road, you can always recoup your investment.

Post pics if you can but it's pretty easy to tell. If you have about 4 or 5 unobstructed feet in each corner, both ways, they'll work.

I've owned a couple of sets of LaScalas (which are damned near identical to Belles and most importantly use the same basshorn, just laid-out differently, I've listened to Belles many times) and also Cornwalls and I preferred the Cornwalls by far.

The LSs just sound too bass-shy and too midrangey for me, by contrast I think CWs sound full and robust, the only Klipsch better than the CW is the Khorn IMO. The LS sounds very colored to me; hollow, twangy, Duane Eddyish. Earwirey.

Though I must say that LSs and Belles are perfect speakers for playing old Rush records, especially Lakeside Park, Working Man and Temples of Syrinx.

And the Belle may be the most gorgeous speaker ever, especially oak with cane grilles.

My opinion ya understand.

Just a question.. If you could only afford Belle or Cornwall fronts, could you match a center and back surrounds with any of the Reference line and still get a good sound for music? I am talking about a 16'(w)x 24'(L)x 14-8' sloping ceiling.

Yes. I run a Belle, Cornwall, Belle front, and RF-7s for surrounds. Obviously, in the perfect world, I would have all Heritage. However, part of getting there is the journey, and there are other expeditures taking priority. That plus I love my RF-7s and wanted to keep them (I am still trying to figure out where to move them to in my house).

Listened to two movies and tons of multi-channel (and matrixed) music yesterday, and the setup works fine. Much more important to have a front from the same family as opposed to all of your speakers. Plus, sounds like with your room, you can place your surrounds a nice distance from your seating area to minimize any voice matching differences.

Carl.

I think I have grown too accustomed to my Belles to go to Cornwalls. I listened to a friends set not long ago and I did like it but then again I haven't met a Heritage I didn't like. I was complaining about lack of bass a while back but some tube rolling solved that for me. I think I was listening to the Brazillian Girls when I thought holy crap where did all that floor rattling bass come from. I would go for the Belles beautiful speakers beautiful sound. I think for SET amps the higher efficiency of the Belle would be better. Sometimes I am still surprised how much sound I get from 8wpc. I never expected to keep the SET amps but now they are hear to stay.