Fixed my klf's now another problem.

My brother came up last weekend and we finally got the back and front reglued on my KLF 20's. The build quality of these amazed us nothing like the old Heritage stuff. As in hot glue to hold the cheap cardboard wood together. Any how my question is when I crank these up they are so powerful they make my cd player skip like crazy. I have it sitting on some 1" acoustic insulation foam stuff. That helped but it still skips. Oh it is a older Nad single disc player. The Klf's are great but geez I can't figure out how to make the player stop skipping at high volume levels. I remember seeing some feet in Parts Express a few years ago that were like isolation feet or something, but they don't carry them anymore. Any ideas? Besides levitating it I'm lost.

LOL, I think I would have agree.

Have you tried moving your CD player somewhere else instead of on top of the speaker?9.gif

Seriously though, depending on how old it is, it might just be dirty. If the lens has some dust on it, that will cause skipping problems. After you clean it, get yourself a nice Deflex pad and sit it on top of the player.

It is a Nad model 5355. I have it on top of my dressor as this my bedroom sytem 9.gif. It would've fallen off the speaker along time ago 2.gif especially getting crazy with the Lil John music LOL. Any how I think the laser etc is clean it plays fine otherwise except when it gets about half volume on the receiver then the whole house is shaking and it starts to miss a beat or two then three. Where would you find this pad you we talking about to put on top of the cd player if I read that right. So this in theory would be like the perverbail blast shield for it. I never thought of putting something on the top. As this thing weights like 10 pounds and is build like a small tank.

It is a Nad model 5355. I have it on top of my dressor as this my bedroom sytem 9.gif. It would've fallen off the speaker along time ago 2.gif especially getting crazy with the Lil John music LOL. Any how I think the laser etc is clean it plays fine otherwise except when it gets about half volume on the receiver then the whole house is shaking and it starts to miss a beat or two then three. Where would you find this pad you we talking about to put on top of the cd player if I read that right. So this in theory would be like the perverbail blast shield for it. I never thought of putting something on the top. As this thing weights like 10 pounds and is build like a small tank.

I've got the same problem...

It reduced it a lot when I folded up a big blanket and put it under my player. What further helped was putting other heavy stuff on top...aka, resting your reciever on top might be a good start. Before you get carried away, crank the volume so that it starts skipping and see how hard you have to push down on it for it to stop. I didn't have to push very hard so I knew adding weight on top would work. If you can't push down on it and make it stop, then you know any form of damping isn't going to help (in which case, you should just get a new cd player). The other alternative would be to put the CD player in another room, perhaps a closet. There are cheap IR light benders that will still give you remote access into the closet or adjacent room (the only downside being that you have to move further to change the discs).

----------------

On 4/3/2005 10:29:50 AM Shaggy and Scooby wrote:

Any how my question is when I crank these up they are so powerful they make my cd player skip like crazy. ----------------

Since I am probably the biggest proponent of the KLF speakers, I had to isolate this wonderful statement. The KLFs are just plain awesome! Plus with the grills off, you see those fantastic big bad horns! Now, if they would just bring them back into production.........

I will have to try some of your suggestions. I think the vibrapod was kinda something I have seen before but did'nt know the name. I do agree the KLF's really have some hard to beat slam to them. I thought my brothers Cornwalls made the earth move. I had them turned up this weekend while the wife was outside with the rugrats. She said that the neighbor across the street made a comment. 1.gif Now I know how to get back at him for his crappy car stereo and his shade tree motor repair. He just hates the type of music I play. So once I get the skip figured out good times will be had. Just kidding 4.gif

KLF 20 falling apart unglued too ?

KLF 30s are in good company then.

I think I pioneered the problem back in summer of 2000, much to kLP HQ's disbelief ,when I told them (thru my dealer) that all three sets of KLF30s I tried were broke in neat peaces on ones floor.

Alas, this is Klipsch Q today.

I have had the same problem with CD players that were on their last legs. Also, some CD players simply do not over sample as well as others, thus they lose their place more easily. Not sure about the NAD.

Are you using the feet or the spikes for your 20's?

P.S. - Just glued my 20's two weeks ago. I'm waiting for my 10's to need the same repair!

Edit - removed comment on CD player location...

Well my cd player is not on the speaker like someone suggested. I think the oversampling makes alot of sense. I had yamaha changers in the past that never missed a beat and you could beat on them all day. I have hardwood floors so I don't have spikes. We used some epoxy after totally removing both sides of the enclosure. It was'nt to hard since the front was about ready to fall off. The back was'nt to hard behind. I think the cheap hot glue that was not even close to the joint was the big problem. Now to get the other one fixed. This weekend I might have some more time to mess with it so I'll see what stops the skipping.

----------------

On 4/7/2005 1:01:21 AM arfandbark wrote:

My neighbors from 1/4 mile away could hear my Cornwalls.

And they could tell what song was playing...

"""I bought this goofy CD that has tracks of Formula I cars panning from left to right, or right to left.

It's well recorded. I have a 60 watt SS receiver with my Cornwalls. Those tracks sounds awesome cranked up, I went outside and it seemed just as loud.

A neighbor was looking around for the race cars......"""

Woof!

----------------