My HT pics - at least it's all Klipsch!

RossVTaylor

Hello all,

A few weeks ago, someone posted some pics of a very nice HT setup. It was a beautifully constructed and very well thought out home theater, but it was missing one thing... KLIPSCH!

Well, for a few weeks now, my friend DougDrake (now, DD2 the sequel) has been urging me to post some pics of my HT. I'm pretty sure he's done so for the humorous replies they're sure to generate... Doug says the drill press adds to the acoustic character of the room.

Anyway, for the amusement of my fellow forum members, here goes...

Ross

------------------

"Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana."

LMAO......you got some great equipment and one hell of a theater room. I hope you are planning of finishing off the garage into the HT.....with the equipment you've got there that must sound incredible.

I'll have to take some pics of my HT soon......but I don't have any power tools in mine.....LOL

------------------

Klipsch Quartets - fronts

Klipsch Academy - center

Klipsch KG.5's - rears

Klipsch KSW12 subwoofer

Denon AVR-4800

Denon POA-5200 THX Amp

Sony C-67ES CD Player

JVC 36D201 36" TV

JVC HR-S3600 SVHS Player

JVC XV-M565BK DVD Player

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2100 Digital Cable box

Playstation 2

Monster Power HTS-2000

MIT Speaker Cable

RS HT Gold Interconnects

Monster S-Video, Component, and Optical cables

Hey Ross - I see you live in Anthem, AZ. I live in Chandler, AZ. Other side of the earth from you! Do you have that garage cooled with AC? I know mine, even at night is way too hot to even just sit in. How often do you go out there and watch movies in the heat?

Bryan

Thanks for the kind words, thus far. This "home theater" is the result of moving into a new home and not having any room to put the AV equipment inside. That, of course, and an incremental "I'll just hook this up temporarily" attitude that's grown out of control...

The wall on the right is new, partitioning off the future HT room from the two-car side of the garage. As soon as I get the outside storage room/shop done, I can get these tools out of here and start working on the interior room-within-a-room walls of the HT.

Bryan, Nope it's not yet cooled. I have to move a door and insulate this space before I can connect it to the AC system. In the mean time, it's too warm to actually use yet. But, that may change in the next month or so.

The room is smaller than I'd wish for, but better than nothing. With two rows of tiered seats, I should be able to seat 5-7.

Here's what I've got so far:

Denon AVR-5800 receiver

Acurus 200X3 (on order from uBid right now)

Klipsch LaScalas for fronts

3 Klipsch Heresy IIs for center and music surrounds

Four RS-3s for movie surrounds

Paradigm PW-2200 sub

Denon 1500 CD player/recorder

Denon DVD-3300 DVD-Audio player

old NEC DP-1200 CRT projector (barely visible up top)

old DWIN LD2 line doubler

home-built HTPC

The acoustics in this room stink - the saw blades resonate and create nasty harmonics... seriously though, there is far too much reflective surface in here right now (of course). But, it still sounds pretty darn good to me. Good enough that I'm all excited about finishing this thing off. All I need is more time and money! Smile.gif

Ross

------------------

Mr. Blorry,

Your post appeared while I was typing the other reply. Actually, I wish my LaScalas were black too!

I'd have never imagined those ole sailing skills would come in handy in the HT! The knot's an oxygen-free, oriented crystal bowline which creates an open soundfield and a deep bottom end...

Ross

------------------

jeez!!

and I thought MY ht was bad...

look at it at iquebec.ifrance.com/sebdavid/htpics.html

and laugh at the website all you want too, it was a project I had that kinda aborted due to lack of time...

This message has been edited by Seb on 08-27-2001 at 11:33 AM

Wow Ross!...Might be cool to install a garage door opener in there just to raise and lower your projection screen!cwm12.gif

I mean that's what I would call a drive-in theater!cwm1.gif

On a serious note...are your LaScalas' fronts totally covered w/ grill material...or are the photos just alittle dark? I wanted raw birch or oak LaScalas and I ended up getting black...wanna trade?...You would pay for all shiiping of course!cwm1.gif

Excellent gear...good luck on getting your room fixed up!

Dave

Nice setup Seb. I especially like the tennis ball.cwm27.gif

------------------

-Paul

AMD T-Bird 900

Asus A7V

Micron 256 MB PC-133

IBM 30 GB 7200 rpm ATA 100

Pioneer DVD-105 Slot-Load (16X/40X)

3Dfx Voodoo5 5500 AGP

Sound Blaster Live! X-Gamer 5.1 (soon to be Hercules Fortissimo II)

NEC MultiSync M700 17" (soon to be LG Flatron 915FT Plus 19")

Razor Boomslang 2000 w/Everglide Giganta

These speakers are for my computer, not a HT

Receiver: Kenwood VR-409 (soon to be Denon AVR-2802)

Speakers: Klipsch Quintets (5 sats. soon adding Klipsch KSC-C1)

Sub: Sony SA-W305 mini-sub (soon to be HSU Research VTF-2)

Doh. I am jealous not only do you have Heresy surrounds, you have more tools then me too cwm12.gif

It will be a nice setup thou.

------------------

FOR SALE OR TRADE COMPLETE R*3 SYSTEM FOR 3 HERESY'S

Main System -

Cornwalls (L/R main)

RC-3

RS-3's (white)

SVS 20-39CS

Harman Kardon AVR 510

Hafler P505 (running sub)

ProMedia 4.2 v400 for PC

This message has been edited by eq_shadimar on 08-27-2001 at 01:39 PM

Ross - I'm glad you did it. It takes a strong man to put up with the grief these guys are giving you, but I know it's all good natured. I've heard this system, and while my ears didn't pick up the harmonics from the saw blade, I did appreciate the way the rotating drill bit cast off unwanted standing waves from the orange-colored sonotube SVS sub in the right corner (apologies to TV). Actually, it doesn't sound that bad with it as it is. I think I'd quit right now, Ross. That way you won't have to chase the neighbors out - they'll run sweating from the 110 degree heat!!

On reflection, I'd expect this from a guy who hooks up a Heresy to a clock radio in a Hope hotel room, just to see how it sounds. A true Klipsch fan, through and through.

DD2

Ross/Doug ---

If you gentlemen are having interference problems from the saw blade, I suggest you upgrade to the Makita LS1013 Dual Slide Compound 10" Miter Saw. In continuous use, it creates a very pleasant full spectrum standing wave in almost any garage/HT. I think you will appreciate its versatility.

Of course, if you need a higher frequency noise cancellation unit, nothing beats my personal favorite, the Bosch 1274DVS 3" x 21" Dustless Variable Speed Belt Sander. From a low growl to a subsonic whine, this baby will eliminate any notion of a coherent audio environment for 100 feet. I had considered upgrading to the larger 4" x 24" Bosch, but found I didn't need the extra punch at the lower frequencies.

You can find these fine instruments at most home improvement centers. The best prices, new, are found at Amazon.

Saw: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/detail/glance/-/hi/B0000223I3/103-9860361-7914235

Sander:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000223HB/qid%3D998941931/103-9860361-7914235

This message has been edited by Fried Elliott on 08-27-2001 at 03:03 PM

You guys, and gals, are great! Only here would I find this much understanding and support. Maybe I'm not that nuts, after all. Thanks!

Dave, in answer to your serious question these LaScalas are a bit unique in that they were built with full front grills. It does help keep the sawdust out! Smile.gif

(Serious note: there is absolutely no dust producing work done in this room - not with *my* prized HT stuff. This is just a temporary tool storage area)

Ross

------------------

Boomer, sure pull up a chair! Actually, that's what we've used the few times the kids and I have braved the rustic atmosphere to watch a movie. We've got a small fridge for drinks, a microwave for popcorn (no room or money for the fancy "real movie popper" style) and some folding chairs.

On another note... my new Acurus 200X3 amp is stuck in a FedEx truck somewhere for the holiday weekend. The driver apparently abandoned his route right before the weekend and my amp's sitting in the new driver's truck, all lonely and sad.... Frown.gif

------------------

Ross-

FedEx, eh? I just watched the Tom Hanks movie Cast Away. Makes me a little leary of them! Biggrin.gif

I know how much we all hate UPS, but if NASCAR driver Dale Jarrett would start driving the truck like everyone wants him to, we could get our packages in no time! Course, they may be a little Smash.gif, but they'd get there FAST!

Thanks Mr. B! That's all I need... a visual of my new amp on some desert island. Smile.gif

Of course, the resourceful cast away could use the wire from that large Acurus toroidal transformer to wind a generator armature (pulling the magnet from his favorite uBid Klipsch speaker, of course). Then, he could store energy in those large capacitors and use the spark to make fire... or for Morse code... or to ward off attackers. Hmmmm.... Not that any Acurus amp is likely to float to shore!

Ross

------------------