HT system advice please

bikendad

I'm looking at purchasing my first HT sytem for my basement to use along with Sony 50" widescreen tv. It will be used for probably 75 to 90% HT and a little music listening. I'm not into upgrading and tend to keep things a long time, so I want to be happy with what I get. I'm a noob but been power surfing this forum and others, also been going to BB and other dealers giving things a listen to. I really like the sound of the RF35 stuff, the synergy F3's are good to but a little muddy or muffled sounding compared to the Rf35's. The RF25's sounded good to but not much bass, but could be the way they were set up with a small sub. My room is 22x15 and I want to keep system cost to around $2,000. I'm looking at the Denon 2105, RF35's with the 35 center and rear surrounds, and the RW12 sub or an SVS pb-10. Am I dreaming at keeping this around $2000 or should I be looking at the RF25's? I just want real good sound for movies with floor shaking bass :-) For the same money should I get the RW12 or the SVS? I also think I would be happier with the Denon 2805 over the 2105, thoughts?

I should mention that the dealer I listened to the Klipsch at was pushing Boston Acoustics. The Boston stuff was in the custom sound rooms hooked up to the good recievers and the Klipsch stuff was upstairs hooked up to cheaper recievers. He was pushing the Boston VR-1's which sounded ok but I didn't care for the very small rear channel speakers that were about the size of bose stuff.

No offense, but for $2,000 you're going to get a system that will be mediocre compared to your TV. I'm not into upgrading either (hehe), so I figured i'd get the most bang for my buck to go with my TV which is similar to yours. So I suggest maybe increasing your budget or save up for it, it's worth it! I swear I feel like i'm in a theater at times. If your TV wasn't so nice it wouldn't be as much of an issue...

Oh yeah, I think you'll find with a nice setup you'll find yourself listening to more and more music. I orignally bought mine for like 70/30 movies, but now I think I lean more towards listening to more music than movies because it sounds so good.

Bikendad,

Welcome to the forum. If you hang around you will get alot of good advice along with alot of opinions2.gif

I own several Denon Receivers and I am real happy with mine. The best bang for the buck is the Denon 3805 for around $1000.00. If you have searched the recent threads on this forum, you will find my opinion and experiences along with other people who are happy with what they own.

The 2805 seems to be a good choice, as well. Whatever your initial decision is, make sure you can take it back within 30 days if you don't like it and exchange it. It's a hassle at first, but after you get it to sound like you want it--there is no need to upgrade unless you get the bug.

Congratulations on choosing the Klipsch over the Boston Acoustics. IMO they aren't even in the same league when it comes to home theater, and even more apparent when it comes to music.

Keepin' it around $2k,dreamin'? well......maybe not,but certainly tight.I bought my 2nd set up for about that,rf5s for $750,rb5's $420,rc3II $210,HK 630 $650 and using my old Mitsubishi sub-TOTAL 2,030.00 tx included,new from auth. dealer.

As for the Denons,very reliable and good for HT.

----------------

On 4/5/2005 9:07:50 PM bikendad wrote:

I should mention that the dealer I listened to the Klipsch at was pushing Boston Acoustics. The Boston stuff was in the custom sound rooms hooked up to the good recievers and the Klipsch stuff was upstairs hooked up to cheaper recievers. He was pushing the Boston VR-1's which sounded ok but I didn't care for the very small rear channel speakers that were about the size of bose stuff. ----------------

bikendad: First: Welcome to the forum!

Not to be harsh, I suspect that the dealer may be pushing the Boston Acoustics reference stuff because it just doesn't sell well and he's stuck with the inventory.

Disclaimer: With all due respect to all Boston owners/lovers out there, the following is only MY opinion: When, directly compared with other brands (including Klipsch) in the same price range (and below), it has been my experience that the Boston reference stuff falls on its face.

In support of what I have observed: At least 3 Boston dealers here in the Detroit area stopped selling Boston reference systems as soon as they were able to rid themselves of their inventory. One dealer, who is still stuck with several pair, doesn't even have any of the Bostons hooked up for demos. He said that the customers "really do not care for their sound". He sells a lot of B&Ws. He is not a Klipsch dealer.

Furthermore: The corporation for which I work allows me a huge discount on purchasing Boston Acoustics products, yet I prefered to pay full price from my Klipsch Reference Series system. It's all about the sound qualtiy, baby! 10.gif

I am a bass nut &I love my subwoofers. I have no opinion on your 2 choices. I am also not familiar with the SVS bp-10 you are looking at. They evidently make a quality product. What I would do is compare their Max output. My gut reaction is to get the RW-12 because of the larger woofer size, but that is pure speculation.

IF the SVS is cheaper with slightly lower output--I would go to your salesperson and tell them you are leaning toward the SVS, because you want to stay within budget and is there anyway he can work a better deal on the RW-12--But that's just me.9.gif

Went back for another listen yesterday. They had set up the rf25's and rf35's in the same raoom with a nice yamaha reciever. I liked the rf25's but the rf35's were awesome. I do not like the rw subs, not enough punch. Salesman was pointing me towards an rsw12 but they're a lot of money. Found a pair of RF35's in a sound room also, tried them with the Denon 2105 and the 2805. The 2105 is good, the 2805 a little better with a bit warmer fuller sound. I can see that this is a disease, the more I learn and listen the more it's going to cost me!

I hate to pimp someone else's product, but I must, in the best interest of the poster, and to allow him the Klipsch RF35's and the performance he desires1.gif

Spend your allocated subwoofer $$$ over at SVS - this should allow you to get the Klipsch you want otherwise, and give you the performance you want on a tight budget. Hint: $100-150 extra goes a LONG way over at SVS. Good subbage in your HT will do much to impress you and your other listening guests:) It also makes whatever main speakers you choose sound better. Better subbage = better, more impressive HT. Yeah, SVS is mail order, but you get great service (just like the Klipsch folks) and great product at untouchable prices, because it is manufacturer direct. It's difficult to get more subwoofer per $ anywhere....and for as many subs as they sell "on the blind" - unheard by customers until they get them, they get little return on product (just try to buy returned product from SVS in the bargain area - when they have it available, it's gone almost instantly). And their bigger stuff keeps even the Klipschorn theater and other most demanding Klipsch owners here VERY HAPPY.

Contact the SVS guys and tell them what you are looking at, in subs and other gear, room dimensions, the works, and they will walk you through the subs. They are also very good about comparing other brand subs to their own - and are quite honest when comparing their own subs to other manufacturers. You can freely discuss what you have looked at and make comarisons with them. If your $$$ are better spent elsewhere, they have no issues telling you so.

HSU is good for the $$$, too. Also mail order.

And SVS mates with Klipsch HT, in all flavors (Heritage, Reference, and others) very well.

If you are mechanically inclined, you can do some KILLER subwoofers in do it yourself kits. $400 in DIY $$$ can do lots if you furnish the elbow grease.

Get the RF-35s. You will be happier in the long run. If you need to buy in stages, don't feel like the Lone Ranger. Many on this forum have bought in stages. Also, don't hesitate to ask for a discount. Reference prices are negotiable.

For subwoofers, if it is Klipsch, go for the RSW-12 or better. If it's too much money, look at SVS or a build it yourself kit. Meuge has a thread all about building a 15 inch DIY kit. Bang for the buck wise it would be hard to beat his kit sub. Less than a day was involved in the assembly.

A good sub is critical to a good home theater experience. Skimping on a sub is wated money IMO. You will replace it with a better sub at a later date.

Bill

My 2 cents:

On a tight budget - go used - especially in speakers.

As far as subs go, check out Hsu Research. The best value in subs in my experience.

The Denon is a good receiver. I am actually selling an Onkyo TX-DS777. It is a THX Select reciver and is a rock solid performer. Tons of great reviews. The only thing that it does not have is 'Component Video Switching', which I need and is my only reason for an upgrade.

Good luck with your project.

WOW, lots of great info guys, thank you! He offered me 15% off with a lot of pressing on my part if I buy the whole system. I think 20-25% would be more like it, what has been your guys experience? Ya, for less than the rsw12, I could go with a 12" SVS, might be the way to go?