Solid State Power Amp suddenly running very hot.

zman

I have a Rotel 200w/ch power amp which has been running warm to the touch very nicely. It has a built in protection feature which shut itself off. I felt it and it was too hot to keep your hand on it. I turned it completely off and when it cooled back down too a normal warm, and turned it back on and it is running again with a large fan blowing on it. It has no internal fans. Can you suggest a source for this sudden heat? Is something about to fail and this is a precursor? The sound is still terrific.

Your amp is on the verge of breaking. Something internal is crapping out. You can wait until it goes out or try to get it fixed now, either way it will be kind of expensive. Hopefully it is an older amp that has given you years of service. Good Luck on the repair!

Also, make sure the repair shop tests it for "cool running" after they repair it. Many repair shops are dishonest. Just let them know you want them to verify it is fixed after they "repair" it.

----------------

On 4/8/2005 5:34:49 PM zman wrote:

I have a Rotel 200w/ch power amp which has been running warm to the touch very nicely. It has a built in protection feature which shut itself off. I felt it and it was too hot to keep your hand on it. I turned it completely off and when it cooled back down too a normal warm, and turned it back on and it is running again with a large fan blowing on it. It has no internal fans. Can you suggest a source for this sudden heat? Is something about to fail and this is a precursor? The sound is still terrific.

----------------

I suggest you shut it down and have it looked at. Excessive heat often arises from the output section over-conducting. This often occurs from a problem in the driver circuit, or something in the output bias. Either of those are usually easy & fairly cheap to repair.

If it is over-conducting, it often leads to the outputs failing, and sometimes taking the power supply too. Now that will be an expensive repair.

Perhaps someone on this forum can suggest a good place for repairs.

Rob

• Like 1

Well the Rotel made a crack in the hot side speaker and is now dead in the water=no more sound either speaker. All fuses still in tact. Any recommendations on where to repair close to Pittsburgh-Butler Pa. There is good ventilation around the amp.