Cornwall Squawker

Members...

I need some help AGAIN,

I purchased a squawker last week for my CW project (K55-V). The flute that came attached to it doesn't fit my CW cabinet cutout. It is the metal version and has "K-700" stamped on it. Even though the squawker drivers are the same for Heresys and CWs, etc., the FLUTE is NOT the same.

Anyone have a spare flute that will fit Cornwalls?

Please help.

Mitch

Oh, that explaiins it Mitch! Just sent you an email. Never mind. What you've got there is a Heresy horn for the K53 driver, I believe.

Michael

If you get the horn/driver set from Ebay, surely someone here (or BEC) would take the spare drivers off your hands.

----------------

On 4/9/2005 11:30:30 AM Budman wrote:

Mitch, a set of them plus drivers is on ebay right now #5766037315 these don't come up to often

----------------

I'm currently the high-bidder on these. I just didn't want to spend that much $$ again fixing my mistake on what I bought in the first place....D'ohhh!

Thanks all....mitch

There you go Mitch. We'll all stay clear on that bid, looks good so far, the only other interested bidder is that guy from Spain.

Are you building a pair or just a single Cornwall center channel? How did you get advice to buy 700 horns? Maybe Bob or someone here wanting to fix or build a center Heresy cabinet can take the 700 off your hands.

I might be interested in the k55V's, as I'd like to double-up my LaScala Industrial Cabinets and am looking at buying the boxes from Cueman in Arizona. But I'll have to obtain all the parts at reasonable prices to make that project worthwhile! It's a sickness, isn't it?

Thanks,

Michael

----------------

On 4/10/2005 3:01:56 PM colterphoto1 wrote:

There you go Mitch. We'll all stay clear on that bid, looks good so far, the only other interested bidder is that guy from Spain.

Are you building a pair or just a single Cornwall center channel? How did you get advice to buy 700 horns? Maybe Bob or someone here wanting to fix or build a center Heresy cabinet can take the 700 off your hands.

I might be interested in the k55V's, as I'd like to double-up my LaScala Industrial Cabinets and am looking at buying the boxes from Cueman in Arizona. But I'll have to obtain all the parts at reasonable prices to make that project worthwhile! It's a sickness, isn't it?

Thanks,

Michael

----------------

Michael,

I'm just building the one, but i screwed up and accidentally (brain-farted) bought the K55V out of a Heresy, so it had the K700 (metal) attached. I'll offer it on the forum to other interested parties prior to putting it on the 'bay'. I think I have $75 in it between purchase and shipping. I checked the driver w/ an Ohmeter tonight...10.1 ohms. Haven't tested it yet. Gotta do that prior to posting.

As far as a sickness goes...I got it bad!!!

seeya...mitch

y'know Mitch, it's only 600 Hz vs 700 Hz on the horn cutoffs, and depending on your crossover, it might not make any difference at all! ( my 1963 have the crossover at 1000 Hz anyway!)

Easy math says that 600 to 1200 is the next octave, right? so 100 of that 600 is the diff we're talking about here, that's 1/6 of an octave difference, only about TWO NOTES, I dare say you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. What's probably more important in the voicing and timbre of matching your system is that the drivers be the same and that the horns are of the same 'type' being exponential.

You might poll some other members, such as Bob C., but I'd say, heck with it, just build the Cornwall with the 700 horn, you'll never know the diffrerence!

Michael

IMHO:

I'd be very leary of using a K-700 horn in a Cornwall, WITHOUT EXTENDED listening and comparisons with a "correct" Cornwall. The Midrange is the most important driver in the Cornwall. It produces the majority of the frequencies you listen to. It is the driver most people try to improve / upgrade, rather than downgrade.

In addition it takes up less volume, thus impacting the Woofer's performance.

Mike

'In addition it takes up less volume, thus impacting the Woofer's performance.'

Well, yes somewhat. Remember that each of these drivers was selected for it's physical characteristic of being able to fit in the BOX, not specifically it's cutoff. If you like, I'll take one of each, wrap it in plastic and dunk it in a water tank to calculate it's displacement. I would wager that the difference is negligible. After all the Cornwall cabinet is only like 2 1/2 " deeper than the Heresy box. There is probably more volume difference going from a K55 with the magnet cap to a K53 driver.

Like I said, the difference is like two notes. Anybody else with an opinion here? I understand that fixing this purchase error may cost you a couple of hundred dollars. Why not build the box, attach the K700 to a small cutout of ply and bolt it in place, bet it sounds just fine. If not you can get the 'correct' K600.

M

JW- can you dunk your 601 alone? I'm willing to do a plastic horn, but there's NO WAY I'd put a driver under water. I have a 700 plastic (is that a 701) from a Heresy out right now.

So you put a mark on the side of your utility sink, then dunk the wrapped horn, make another mark, then pour water in to determine the volume of water displaced by the horn, right? do you have the in3 -> Gallons or OZ calculation? I can't find it.

This is ridiculous, but fun!

How many in3 or how much % difference should we determine is enough to bother with? 10% of the volume? or ????

Michael

Yes I dunked the driver and the horn. I measured it in milliliters then converted.

You can rest assured that these volumes are Accurate.

For those wanting down to the last freakin volume measurement, this is the way to go. There is no reason for someone else to risk there drivers like I did.

jc

----------------

On 4/11/2005 3:18:01 PM colterphoto1 wrote:

JW- can you dunk your 601 alone? I'm willing to do a plastic horn, but there's NO WAY I'd put a driver under water. I have a 700 plastic (is that a 701) from a Heresy out right now.

So you put a mark on the side of your utility sink, then dunk the wrapped horn, make another mark, then pour water in to determine the volume of water displaced by the horn, right? do you have the in3 -> Gallons or OZ calculation? I can't find it.

This is ridiculous, but fun!

How many in3 or how much % difference should we determine is enough to bother with? 10% of the volume? or ????

Michael

----------------

The other issue is the mounting. That 700 horn has 4 mounting holes (2 on top, 2 on bottom). The motorboard on the existing cabinet has 12 holes from where the previous speaker was mounted (3 on each side and 3 on top/bottom). My only other issue would be with the concept of 'cluging' this thing. I want to keep it as standard as possible. This thing waw originally a CBR. I'm converting it to a CWO. IMO, that makes it more valuable, but it is a change from its original form.

I really don't want to Frankenstein it, albeit would still be all Klipsch, but for a CW to be 'right', I think it should have the right components.

Michael, you're probably right that it wouldn't sound very much different, but I would always know that it's not a true CW w/ true CW sound. It would bother me.

I haven't checked w/ Klipsch parts yet, but I doubt that I can still purchase that flute.

Anyone know?

Thanks all...mitch